Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't think it takes 3 or 4 years of college to understand "Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member" means miles and award tickets are not property of the member.
Seriously, I wouldn't trust any tool which states that statement requires 15.43 to 16.45 years of college for it to be undestood
With all due respect, I think well-educated flyertalkers are likely to put far too much stock in their own experience when analyzing something like this—I'm sure you could have understood that sentence much, much earlier. But average literacy rates are, I suspect, worse than you think (and much worse than you would think given the type of people you might regularly interact with). Flesch-Kinkaid is widely used in UX design, the industry whose bread and butter is scientifically analyzing what most people understand.

Frankly–I have a law degree, and what it means conceptually for an abstract currency to constitute my property or not is not crystal clear. What it means for a ticket that I have issued to constitute my property or not is even less clear. Contextually, we of course know this means you can't offer it for sale. But that's not intuitive.
yabadoo likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Because they'd like as many of them as possible to go unused-- especially on the kind of flights that brokers/buyers are willing to pay people for their miles for.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Slight -- and technical -- disagreement. Unused miles are liabilities on airlines financial statements. When they are used, they are treated as income. So ... airlines want us to use miles.
Unused miles from accounts without activity expire, thus reducing liability without having to actually provide any value.

This ain't no DeltAA here.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craz

Can I ask you honestly have you read ALL the T&Cs to ALL the programs you belong to before you joined up? and do so every couple of months since they do change from time to time. Do you actually turn the rental car contract over and read every single word and question what you dont fully understand before signing that contract and driving the car? etc etc Id bet you dont!
You're intentionally obfuscating things. Not reading the T&Cs doesn't absolve me, you, or anyone else of being bound by them.

Not sure why you keep harping on car rentals but I'll play along.

No I don't generally read the T&Cs for a car rental when I'm going to use it for normal low risk activity that would be expected use: i.e. driving from the airport to my hotel to my meeting and back to airport. I assume that this is use covered by the T&Cs and willingly accept the low to non-existent risk that it's not. And I sure as heck do know what is in my personal auto insurance policy.

But if I think I'm going to do anything outside the norm with the rental car - say start using it to provide Uber service or take it off-roading - then you can bet I am going to review the T&Cs to see what it says.
ksucats, dciolli and AA100k like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AA100k

Absolutely correct. If brokers are permitted, premium cabin award space would either dry up or would have extreme redemption rates.
Even while mileage brokers aren’t permitted (by the airline program), premium cabin award space can still dry up or have extreme redemption rates. It’s the airline program’s sandbox in which the customers play, but either way the airlines do find ways to fleece the customers of the programs. Trying to blame mileage brokers and their users for airline programs’ devaluations really doesn’t fly well upon closer examination.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SamOF
As for the particular term you singled out, the Flesch-Kinkaid Grade Level test puts it at 15.43. This means that it's generally understandable by people with three years of college and above. The similar Automated Readability Index puts it at 16.45, which means the reading level is post-graduate.

That's not clear and direct—and if it's intended to be well understood by a majority of the population, very badly executed..
Think that says more about the nature of tools you've pointed out then the nature of the sentence in question.

Are you sure about those results? I just ran the sentence " Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member" through Word's readability statistics tool. It came back as Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level 10.3.

That's sophomore year of U.S. high school. 15-16 year olds.

The key part of that sentence: "do not constitute property of the member" is even simpler.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:30 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Folks - unfortunately, dozens of posts have already been removed for being off-topic, snarky, or personal. This thread is going to take a little nap to let folks cool off (and to give the mod team some time to send out a few...personalised notes...).

/Moderator
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.