Wiki Posts
Search

AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Angry AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles

I recently bought last year AA miles when they had a bonus miles given for the purchase.
I had a total of 450K Miles in my account.

Recently I decided to put my miles 300K for sale on Craigslist since I wasn't using it and having a hard time getting tickets I wanted - but no interest from anyone.

My aunt told me to check her for if I could find her a ticket to travel for next year - I ended up booking a ticket for my aunt over the weekend since she needed the ticket I booked the ticket I ended up paying the taxes for her and this morning I got an email:

As a result of our findings, your AAdvantage account will be assessed a penalty of the amount offered for sale, 300,000 AAdvantage miles for violating AAdvantage program rules. The removal will include mileage attached to pending reservations. You will need to notify the passenger that their award tickets are no longer valid. Please understand that any future violations of the AAdvantage Program Conditions, without exception, will force us to terminate your AAdvantage accounts. This action will cause any previously accumulated mileage and accrued benefits to be forfeited, and you will be ineligible to participate in the AAdvantage program in the future.

I have not not been able to get hold of anyone via phone - all agents I spoke to said reply back to the email.

I bought the miles last year - I paid for the taxes for the current reservation, which has not been refunded back - they took out from my account 300K miles and cancel the reservation ? any advise what to do at this point ??
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Reply by email. Be honest.

admit you tried to sell miles. If you actually did, own up to it.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rocketsingh
Recently I decided to put my miles 300K for sale on Craigslist since I wasn't using it and having a hard time getting tickets I wanted - but no interest from anyone.
game over. That is against AA T&C's.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

is their anyway I can fight it ??? I didn't end up selling it - it was just an AD on CL but never actually sold it.
They went and took my miles out and cancel my aunts ticket with it along
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

I bought these miles - these miles weren't EARNED - they were bought miles last year
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I bought these miles - these miles weren't EARNED - they were bought miles last year
Earned miles are paid for, albeit indirectly.

Point is, this doesnt matter. You are not allowed to sell miles. End of Story.
Redhead, Statman and HiAperture like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:44 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 13, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As mentioned by the telephone agents, reply to the email

By offering miles for sale, you broke the terms and conditions of AAdvantage and it is perfectly entitled to remove the miles , however a dispute to card company shpould get the cash back since the service purchased has not been received

If you want to save some or all of the 300,000 miles , you will need to send AA an appropriate email - You have nothing to lose by sending AA a completely honest email about what happened and asking for it to reconsider, but accept that you may be out the miles
BearX220 and yabadoo like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:48 pm

Follow advice of JonNYC and David Noble
Redhead and yabadoo like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
By AA standards you have been given a break by not being tossed out of AAdvantage altogether, they take a very dim view of even attempting to sell miles and failing to read the T&C is not regarded as an excuse. You can certainly reply to the email honestly and contritely but don't expect to get anything back.
Collierkr likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Do I loose the taxes I paid for the ticket issued or will I get a REFUND back for it ?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A simple search on FT will show that you are following a well-trodden path. Please do yourself a favour and follow the (same same same, all the time) advice given in these threads.
kpfleming, Antarius and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You will likely get back the taxes & fees for the cancelled ticket.

I'm wondering how they found out it was you who advertised the miles, if they were never actually sold.

Be that as it may, if you choose to park in a handicapped spot and get a $300 ticket, you pay it. Same here. You broke the rules and must pay the piper. It would have been good for you to review the information on this forum about this activity, but that ship has sailed.

You probably have zero chance of recourse through the credit card company. First, it's way past the deadline for a dispute. Second, you DID get what you paid for. The fact that you chose to engage in an activity that would cause them to be rescinded is of no concern to the bank.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do I loose the taxes I paid for the ticket issued or will I get a REFUND back for it ?
You definitely will not be loosing them - given that you , assumedly, paid by credit card , you will not lose them if you dispute the charge for the taxes on the ticket - that is easy

If this is the 1st time you have done this and you were unaware of the rules, send full details of the events that transpired without trying to justify it, or be defensive and you may get some of the miles reinstated. If you don't want to do this, then just dispute the charge for taxes and move on
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You definitely will not be loosing them - given that you , assumedly, paid by credit card , you will not lose them if you dispute the charge for the taxes on the ticket - that is easy

If this is the 1st time you have done this and you were unaware of the rules, send full details of the events that transpired without trying to justify it, or be defensive and you may get some of the miles reinstated. If you don't want to do this, then just dispute the charge for taxes and move on
Really poor advice imo to dispute the charge when the OP bought the miles last year. Never mind when they contact the airline for their side if the story.
deeruck, SJOGuy, yabadoo and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.