Wiki Posts
Search

AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enpremiere
This has nothing to do with logic or ethics. However disagreeable the program may be, AA's terms and conditions prohibit this behavior and they reserve the right to take action against abusers.

There have been lengthy discussions as to the ethics of this that fall well outside the purview of this particular thread but it's AA's house and barring some landmark legal or legislative action to the contrary, consumer protections for rewards programs will continue to remain one-sided.
Sure, I just want to remind everyone that the emperor has no clothes, just for context’s sake...
enpremiere likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I'll add this: My most valuable tool is the pad of paper and pencil next to my desk. Once a perp makes it to my pad of paper, they are toast. Human intelligence and intuition beat any algorithm any day, IMHO.
The algorithms may be different, but a human analysing is still following a process
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Does anyone else seem it a just a bit odd that even advertising some type of situation would violate T&Cs. I know there is no first amendment provision in private parties, but I find that a tad "chilling". Sort of akin to the stories that you hear that a company reserves the right to sue you if you post a negative review of them on HomeAway, TripAdvisor, or Yelp.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Does anyone else seem it a just a bit odd that even advertising some type of situation would violate T&Cs. I know there is no first amendment provision in private parties, but I find that a tad "chilling". Sort of akin to the stories that you hear that a company reserves the right to sue you if you post a negative review of them on HomeAway, TripAdvisor, or Yelp.
No, not in the least.

This t&c provision is not even remotely related to the negative review issues. It is also why analogies rarely, if ever, work.

AA prohibits members from advertising for sale that which they may not sale. That has less than nothing to do with an individual posting a negative review about some restaurant.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, here they seem that they may be penalizing “intent”, and action towards it, regardless of outcome.

Next level might be “thought”...They come up with an algorithm to identify susceptible individuals and send out entrapment requests to buy miles to lure you in...

Last edited by nk15; Aug 14, 2019 at 8:05 pm
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Your 'ETA' is not completely correct. While #2 and #4 violate T&C, #1 and #3 do not.
Agreed. I upgrade and buy tickets for family all the time. With the same last name and others.

Never had an issue - dont expect to ever have one.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15

So, here they seem that they may be penalizing “intent”, regardless of outcome.
No. AA is not penalizing intent. AA is penalizing violation of the terms and conditions of the AAdvantage program. This isn't even remotely a gray area. Stop trying to make it one.

OP violated the rules. Full stop. End of story.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Excerpted from the AAdvantage terms and conditions:

You are responsible for reading the AAdvantage® Program Terms and Conditions, additional member information, AAdvantage® newsletters and account summaries online at aa.com in order to understand your rights, responsibilities, and status under the AAdvantage® program. American Airlines may amend its rules of the Program at any time without notice. American Airlines has no liability for correspondence that is misdirected, lost, stolen, damaged or delayed.

At no time may AAdvantage® mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold, advertised for sale or bartered (including but not limited to transferring, gifting, or promising mileage credit or award tickets in exchange for support of a certain business, product or charity and/or participation in an auction, sweepstakes, raffle or contest). Any such mileage or tickets are void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Violators (including any passenger who uses a purchased or bartered award ticket) may be liable for damages and litigation costs, including American Airlines attorneys’ fees incurred in enforcing this rule.
Statman, SJOGuy and enpremiere like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is clear based on the T & Cs, I agree. Advertisement is intent and action towards sale.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Also, a couple of decades ago, there was no craiglist.
Miles redemption had to be done over the phone.
Anybody could go all the way to the gate, with or without ticket.
And, there was a time when stickers were actually stickers.
Years and years ago (before electronic tickets), I had a ticket on AA 371, the 0700 BOS-LGA. I wasn't going to use it, and one of my closest friends needed to be on that flight. I just gave the paper ticket to him. No muss, no fuss.

So, out of curiosity, in theory, what is the problem with someone selling miles that they either bought from the airline or otherwise earned? Logic says you earned the currency you can do whatever you want with it. Has anyone challenged the airlines in court about this bs? Like a real court, consumer oriented?
What is the problem? Well, for one thing, you don't own the miles. AA does. And you have the miles pursuant to terms and conditions to which you agreed when you signed up for AAdvantage.

Does anyone else seem it a just a bit odd that even advertising some type of situation would violate T&Cs. I know there is no first amendment provision in private parties, but I find that a tad "chilling".
You don't see a problem with advertising something for sale that you cannot deliver to a ready, willing and able buyer who accepts your terms and agrees to pay your asking price? If I'm that prospective buyer, you could well find yourself on the receiving end of a lawsuit, depending on how much money is involved and how easy it would be for me to acquire the item elsewhere under similar terms.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
I was suggesting that if that was the case, and aunts ticket was less than 150,000 miles, I dont understand why it was cancelled.

I understand AA were within their rights to take all miles - but they didn’t. So why take 300,000 of their 450,000 miles and still cancel a ticket that OP had enough miles left to purchase.......unless they do believe that aunts ticket was fraudulent..... which in turn, begs the question as to why they didn’t take all the miles - the 300,000 for the attempted sale and whatever aunts ticket cost.

Or or am I missing something?

Probably missing something. Let's say aunt's ticket cost 100k. If they don't cancel the ticket, then they have effectively only penalized OP for 200k miles because they've let the OP use 100K of the 300K and still keep the remaining 150K. Cancelling the ticket ensures that the 100k for the new ticket comes out of the 150k they've let the OP keep.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
They're referring to an ID check at the gate airside, not at security checkpoint or the check-in counter.
That’s not how it was stated in the post which I quoted when responding; but going with the above limitation, then that ID check is rare for domestic US flights — at least on tickets with no onward international flight connection. But it still happens at times at the gate too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 14, 2019 at 11:30 pm
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by justhere
Probably missing something. Let's say aunt's ticket cost 100k. If they don't cancel the ticket, then they have effectively only penalized OP for 200k miles because they've let the OP use 100K of the 300K and still keep the remaining 150K. Cancelling the ticket ensures that the 100k for the new ticket comes out of the 150k they've let the OP keep.
What’s to say it didn’t come out of the original (pre 300,000 mile purchase) 150,000 miles anyway?

surely, If you have 450,000 and buy a ticket for 100,000 you are left with with 350k. AA still take their 300k penalty and you are left with 50k.

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by rocketsingh
I know they linked me thru my number because my ad did have my number posted and then with the timing me booking a ticket for my aunt for next year just collided thinking I sold my miles
There has to be more to this story. If your number was all they had to go on, then anyone could post ads on Craigslist with the phone numbers of people that they dislike, offering to sell miles, and get all their miles confiscated.

she may have lost time, so now she has to pay a more expensive ticket closer to the flight.
Until she travels on that ticket, she was not a party to that transaction.

Plenty of things happen in life that will cause you to lose time or cause you to pay for more expensive things due to timing.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
What is the problem? Well, for one thing, you don't own the miles. AA does. And you have the miles pursuant to terms and conditions to which you agreed when you signed up for AAdvantage.
In addition to this, in order to maintain that the miles are property of the airline, when you purchase miles, if you look hard enough at the web pages, you'll notice that you're purchasing the miles from a third party, often Points.com/Points International and not from the airline itself (otherwise a direct sale would imply ownership)

They're referring to an ID check at the gate airside, not at security checkpoint or the check-in counter.
With very few exceptions, unless you have a ticket in your name, you're not making it through the security checkpoint.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by diburning
In addition to this, in order to maintain that the miles are property of the airline, when you purchase miles, if you look hard enough at the web pages, you'll notice that you're purchasing the miles from a third party, often Points.com/Points International and not from the airline itself (otherwise a direct sale would imply ownership)
Not necessarily. Although I haven't looked at the agreement, it could well be that what you're actually purchasing is a license (permission) to use the miles within the rules of the program. That's a common way to get around actual ownership. You also see it often with parking spaces at a condo building. You don't own the actual land that parking space 37 is on, you own an exclusive license to use the parking space numbered 37. Interestingly, in that type of arrangement, the condo management/association can renumber and thus relocate the spaces. You still then have a license to use the space numbered 37, even if it has been moved.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Well is there proof that AA ever saw the Craigslist post? Could it be he bought a huge number of miles then suddenly a ticket not in his name was booked for someone, likely with a different last name and address. There would be no way for AA to ascertain this person is his Aunt but certainly buying a horde of miles and never using them for yourself (or someone in your immediate family with your last name) would look awfully suspicious.

Either way the OP has made his own bed. If he can provide definitive objective proof of his relationship and admit to the attempt to sell miles (which AA might not even know about) he might get back his 300K miles but I wouldn't count on it.
He bought the miles last year, so this wasn't like he bought the miles then booked the ticket right away.
AA doesn't take action on your account simply because you get a ticket for someone with a different last name and address.
He also indicated he offered 300K for sale and that is exactly what they took.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.