FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:36 pm
Adelphos

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by no1cub17
But why would you buy so many miles without having a know use for them first (i.e. multiple awards on hold)? That makes literally no sense to burn thousands of dollars buying miles when you don't even have a plan of how to use them. For as much money you spent buying miles, you could've just bought the tickets you wanted. Not sure who's giving you advice on such matters but it's time to make new friends.
Last year, I bought 250,000 miles during the “best price sale” - my thought process was that was four one-way business class tickets to Europe for about $1,200 each, which most would say is an OK deal. I purchased the miles with my Amex Platinum and earned a good chunk of MR points as well. Worked out well initially as I booked two tickets from AMS on AA Metal in business class for 57,500 each. However this year I have not been able to find similar flights to or from Europe as availability on AA metal has gone to zero. Point is at the old prices and availability, buying 250,000 miles for $4,800 made some sense. At current prices and availability (85,000 to 115,000 per flight to Europe on AA metal), it makes no sense. Shows the danger of using cash to buy miles without immediate use.