Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:04 pm

EXP Challenge - How much will this itin earn?

I'm considering enrolling in EXP challenge where the term of the challenge are: "...earn 35,000 EQMs OR 40 EQSs AND spend $5,000 EQDs during
this period..."

I have an itinerary booked directly with BA (can't be changed or booked through aa instead) - IAD-LHR RT in F (A class) and the total price came to USD 4991.37. I will be flying as EXP.
How close will it get me to the qualification criteria above?

Thanks!
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
I'm considering enrolling in EXP challenge where the term of the challenge are: "...earn 35,000 EQMs OR 40 EQSs AND spend $5,000 EQDs during
this period..."

You'll be about 42% of the way there on a EQM basis.

I have an itinerary booked directly with BA (can't be changed or booked through aa instead) - IAD-LHR RT in F (A class) and the total price came to USD 4991.37. I will be flying as EXP.

Thanks!
Make sure you use the base fare ONLY in the calculation of EQDs. Fees, taxes, etc do not count towards EQD earnings.

Here are a few good resources...

AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

TL/DR: Looks like you'll get 14,660 EQMs, but again, you'll have to adjust EQDs ex fees/taxes. That said, you'll be about 42% of the way there for EQM metric with that itinerary alone. Flying as an EXP during the challenge will certainly help you.
justsawaufo likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
this period..."

Thanks!
may be I am getting old, but if you are flying as EXP.. what is the point of this challenge?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer
may be I am getting old, but if you are flying as EXP.. what is the point of this challenge?
If you enroll, you get the status immediately for the entire duration of the challenge, in order to keep the status after the challenge, you must qualify.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
If you enroll, you get the status immediately for the entire duration of the challenge, in order to keep the status after the challenge, you must qualify.
yeah sorry , did not really understand, hopefully you will earn enough,
My wife did some sort of challenge last year coming over from DL... had her with me on a trip to India. and a few other trips.. worked out just fine..
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fotographer
No worries, I'm in my mid 30's going on mid 70's
fotographer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by meunger11
TL/DR: Looks like you'll get 14,660 EQMs, but again, you'll have to adjust EQDs ex fees/taxes. That said, you'll be about 42% of the way there for EQM metric with that itinerary alone. Flying as an EXP during the challenge will certainly help you.
If booked directly with BA, odds are the flight was booked as the prime code (i.e. BA216 and BA217). If that's the case, then EQDs are easy to calculate. Roughly 2,200 EQD for this itinerary. Not a great haul given the cost.
JDiver and GlobalMatt like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
this period..."

Thanks!
If your flight is marketed as BA, use Great Circle Mapper to estimate the miles flown, then use the chart on the BA page on aa.com.

7,353 x 2.0 for EQM, 7,353 x .30 for EQD. Very roughly, ~40% of what you need, I think.
Attached Images   
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:02 am

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Oh man!

I was out of town for two weeks and missed this offer. I got offered Platinum for three months plus 20 500-mile upgrades. And now it's expired. I wish there were still some way for me to enroll.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
Oh man!

I was out of town for two weeks and missed this offer. I got offered Platinum for three months plus 20 500-mile upgrades. And now it's expired. I wish there were still some way for me to enroll.
Can always hit up twitter and ask nicely in a DM.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Lifetime Platnium Premier, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Hoping someone can help me out... I have the Hyatt promo waiting in my account... expires 9/30

My plan is to go for platinum pro but going to have to travel quite a bit to get there. I am also working on re-qualifying for United 1K so have to time this just right.

Two questions:
1. Confirming that I can purchase tickets now and as long as I have activated the platinum offer they will count towards the challenge requirements.
2. Here is the complicated one... how long exactly is 3 months? If I have a flight on 9/6/2019, and I activate the offer in the morning of 9/6, will that 9/6 flight count towards the requirements? Also, Does 3 months = 90 days? 91 days? Ironically I have to travel 9/6 and 12/7. that 12/7 flight if it's 90 days wont count, if it's 91 days it will.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:39 pm

I got a reply from Customer Service after missing the deadline for the promotion. She indicated that the promotion hadn’t started yet! Which leads me to believe they’re going to make the offer for a second time effective 7/23/19.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I got a reply from Customer Service after missing the deadline for the promotion. She indicated that the promotion hadn’t started yet! Which leads me to believe they’re going to make the offer for a second time effective 7/23/19.
Has this happened?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I received the Gold challenge in January and flew enough to reach Platinum Pro (mostly via a BA flight, purchased on BA.com) for the rest of 2019. Mrs Huge recently received and accepted the Platinum challenge, and we are now trying to figure out how to get her Platinum status through 2020. I noticed and was worried about the slight language change in the T&C in the email that is discussed above this post, namely my email stated:

Qualifying, eligible flights must be operated by American Airlines **or** marketed by American Airlines, American Eagle® service, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines.
...but hers reads

Qualifying, eligible flights must be operated by American Airlines **and** marketed by...etc
Is it absolutely clear that if she purchases a ticket at BA.com or Iberia.com, the EQMs/EQDs she earns from the flight will count toward the challenge?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by huge
Has this happened?
Yes, it did!

I received the email a couple of days ago and was able to enroll in the promotion. The period of time is now through October 31, 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.