Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:53 pm

I got targeted for Platinum Pro and of course accepted. I know any new reservations will automatically request upgrades for me when they are booked, but my question is whether existing reservations get automatically requested upon being granted this status.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by briggek8717
I got targeted for Platinum Pro and of course accepted. I know any new reservations will automatically request upgrades for me when they are booked, but my question is whether existing reservations get automatically requested upon being granted this status.
Generally speaking, the status attached to a reservation does not reflect any later status changes. You will need to call AA to make sure the reservations do get updated once your account says PP.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:27 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
AA giving away plat and platpro

My SO, who flies AA maybe once per year, if that. Otherwise she’s on BA or AY, but still once per year.

Yet she got this lovely offer in the mail. It’s timely because she’s about to take a European trip (in Y) on a OW carrier so now at least she can get the lounges.

She was never a frequent flyer with them, or anyone. Maybe 10,000 air miles per year, if even that.

Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is it a complete insult to those that have to do it from scratch butt in seat? Yes.

Would I worry since these people are limited flyers to begin with? No.

Is Doug cheap? Yes.
PHL, MorganB, no1cub17 and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This is like a teaser rate. Most of these people won't have status beyond the limited period granted. Heck most might not even fly during the period.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Is it a complete insult to those that have to do it from scratch butt in seat? Yes.
Exactly my issue. I made Gold again last month after a few years of not caring. With upcoming business travel, I'll meet the EQD for Plat. As of now, I will probably be about 6000 miles short on the EQM side.

You can't tell me for a second that this customer generates more money for AA than I am, yet they get the award. Crap like this is what drove me away from AA in the first place.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This is like a teaser rate. Most of these people won't have status beyond the limited period granted. Heck most might not even fly during the period.
And, presumably they have less EQDs to compete for those upgrades
LINDEGR, airmarc and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Smart move on AA's part.

1. It is cost-free to AA.
2. The metrics for these offers are focused on people AA believes may shift some or all of their spend to AA.
3. AA has access to a great deal more data than just how many flights an individual takes. For example, OP is based in the US. If the SO is too but the business is going to BA & AY, this offer may help move the business over.

Does this hurt the existing pool? Of course it does. UG's & awards are limited and if someone who is a GM is now a Plat, Golds lose out. There are more plats and that means more pax chasing the same UG's.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
And, presumably they have less EQDs to compete for those upgrades
The problem is even a $100 EQD gifted Plat outranks a $4k EQD BIS Gold.
FlyinMike, wrp96, Spanish and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I understand that none of us can tell AA how to run their business.
But I find this offer an insult to those that earn it.
I am fine with the status match that all airlines offer, at least that is just a passenger wanting to switch.
And why does AA go right to PLT and PLT pro? why not start with Gold.
and those low dollar spends.... really AA.. ?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fotographer
But I find this offer an insult to those that earn it.
I am fine with the status match that all airlines offer, at least that is just a passenger wanting to switch.
And why does AA go right to PLT and PLT pro? why not start with Gold.
and those low dollar spends.... really AA.. ?
All depends on how one defines "earn it"

The same rants appear from people who are upset about CC's.

Presumably the people receiving the targeted offer are people AA believes will shift their business, perhaps to higher PRASM flights. If so, isn't that what good managers do?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Exactly my issue. I made Gold again last month after a few years of not caring. With upcoming business travel, I'll meet the EQD for Plat. As of now, I will probably be about 6000 miles short on the EQM side.

You can't tell me for a second that this customer generates more money for AA than I am, yet they get the award. Crap like this is what drove me away from AA in the first place.

This. Today or tomorrow I'll be booking two one way flights to Hawaii for a trip next week. Both in the F cabin (discounted). Using the double miles on the Aviator card, I'd easily make Plat and be darn close to making Plat Pro. Would that impact who I'd select for a trip coming up in December? Sure. Good chance I'd even add a long weekend someplace if I were short to make Plat Pro.

I guess the up side is now I'm sufficiently irked --- and motivated ---- to more seriously consider United for the outbound leg of the trip. Better flight times and availability. I was thinking to fly when possible & reasonable on AA this year and next, to build more points into my account, because I'm taking several award flights next year. This instead reminds me of the reasons I eventually became a free agent.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA PP
I received this as well and decided it was worth it, even though I just made DM on Delta again and am about to hit my 1MM. Instead of booking my return flight from Oz on Delta, I booked it on AA and just about made the PlatPro requirements to retain the status until 2021. Will I swap my loyalty to AA from DL, no, but this will definitely make AA/One World my second choice when a Sky Team partner doesn't have a route I need in some weird part of the world.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:51 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by fotographer
The h_ll we can't! I do it every day.
fotographer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:53 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
This. Today or tomorrow I'll be booking two one way flights to Hawaii for a trip next week. Both in the F cabin (discounted). Using the double miles on the Aviator card, I'd easily make Plat and be darn close to making Plat Pro. Would that impact who I'd select for a trip coming up in December? Sure. Good chance I'd even add a long weekend someplace if I were short to make Plat Pro.

I guess the up side is now I'm sufficiently irked --- and motivated ---- to more seriously consider United for the outbound leg of the trip. Better flight times and availability. I was thinking to fly when possible & reasonable on AA this year and next, to build more points into my account, because I'm taking several award flights next year. This instead reminds me of the reasons I eventually became a free agent.
As I understand it, the Aviator card provides double redeemable miles NOT double EQM. Am I mistaken?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.