Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
If you do not reward my current business, why would I give you more in the future?
For the same reason you do business with hundreds of other firms without getting any reward except their appreciation and thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Gold
Not to be a conspiracy theorist.. But...

I am ashamed (not really) to admit that I first qualified for PLT last year through one of these challenges.. They gifted me the status and I had to spend 2k/fly 15k in three months to keep it... During this qualification period, I was getting upgraded quite frequently (40-50% of the time) on elite-heavy routes (DFW-BOS, DFW-PHX)...

Since the year flipped, I have only been upgraded once in 29 segments (just requalified for platinum yesterday “the hard way” and have about 8500 rolling EQDs). This is totally predictable for someone DFW-based who flies business heavy routes on Thursday nights and Monday mornings... So I’m not really complaining.

HOWEVER, I do think that when you do these challenges they add some “fake EQDs” to your account to make you higher on upgrade lists.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Was going to say the same thing...for a trial/challenge the dates look mixed up and/or just a typo for the "qualification" period. Today is Sep 14, your status is good though Dec 13 but you must register AND complete the challenge requirement before Sep 25 makes no sense.

I hope the date confusion is a typo. This seems poorly prepared. If this was intentional - there are going to be some upset people who think their travel between 9/26 and December are counting towards 2021 status!

2019 AA Domestic Upgrades: 15 out of 32

2019 cities: ATH, CLT, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, MSP, ORD, STL, YWG, YYZ
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just noticed they also gave the recipients 20 500 mile stickers! $800 in stickers that do not expire.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:23 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by s0ssos
How is the person supposed to earn that many miles by Sep 25, 2 weeks away?
Register by 9/25, Fly the required miles by 12/13.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by PHL
Register by 9/25, Fly the required miles by 12/13.
That's definitely the way these usually work however that's not what is printed on the mailer...
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by MikeFly
Just noticed they also gave the recipients 20 500 mile stickers! $800 in stickers that do not expire.
Which to be fair are useless if you do not maintain status. So once they fail to meet the challenge or requalify the next year, coupons or not, no upgrades.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:45 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That's definitely the way these usually work however that's not what is printed on the mailer...
The way I read it the first time, and the way it's printed, make it pretty clear to me. My SO, who is not a frequent traveler, also interpreted it as it's intended.

Register before you travel, and no later than September 25, 2019 <--register by 9/25 whether you fly before then or not
Travel with Platinum benefits through December 13, 2019 <--Fly by 12/13 and earn the requisite number of EQM/EQD to retain through 2021.

Want to keep status…
12,500 EQM/$1500 EQD for Plat
20,000 EQM/$2400 EQD for PlatPro
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Smart move on AA's part.

1. It is cost-free to AA.
2. The metrics for these offers are focused on people AA believes may shift some or all of their spend to AA.
3. AA has access to a great deal more data than just how many flights an individual takes. For example, OP is based in the US. If the SO is too but the business is going to BA & AY, this offer may help move the business over. ...
There’s no evidence any of the above is true, particularly the (alleged) targeting based on metrics.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I for one at least got an instant benefit out of this offer. I just noticed that my act of registering counted as activity for my mileage which was set to expire shortly (this November) and the expiration date moved out to March 2021. I no longer really fly AA and don't have AA credit cards and was trying to decide which strategy I was going to use to keep some 25k miles from expiring, but now I don't have to . Got some more time to decide.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I’m surprised AA’s lowest elite tier gets to redeem close-in $0 fee but as United’s 2nd tier I still pay $25.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I know it hurts those who actually fly but don't worry - IME these mailers are soo random that 90% of the people who got them won't care to register or know what they mean, the remaining 10% who register ... less than 1% will actually take a flight. And then there's the whole issue of understanding how upgrades work and how to properly request upgrades. In other words, this is as good as the Bed, Bath, and Beyond mailers I get every week.
Originally Posted by fotographer
I understand that none of us can tell AA how to run their business.
But I find this offer an insult to those that earn it.
I am fine with the status match that all airlines offer, at least that is just a passenger wanting to switch.
And why does AA go right to PLT and PLT pro? why not start with Gold.
and those low dollar spends.... really AA.. ?
I'll just quote myself rather that re-typing the same response:
Originally Posted by ryan182
This is a common complaint about these offers and its also not based in reality.

If the recipient of the offer isn't really a FF then they won't be using the status much and will not qualify in the future. While they have the status their EQDs being well below all who earned status the normal way will put them at the bottom of the list within their group so its not like they are taking upgrades that otherwise would go to "real" platinum flyers. If it turns out they switch to AA and continue to fly AA then from AAs perspective that's a win, if not its not like anyone else is losing anything or that the elite benefits of "real" Plats are at all diluted here, you still get all the stated benefits of your status.
FWIW I came over to AA back when UA was in the dumps and AA was offering EXP matches for 1Ks and I've been EXP for 5 years now resulting in quite a bit of $ going to AA that previously would have gone to UA/*A, where I've taken exactly 2 flights on since leaving. These offers have customer acquisition costs of $0 so if it turns out that someone signs up and doesn't make it or doesn't requalify the following year AA still gets some $ they likely wouldn't have otherwise and stands to gain considerably more revenue rom those that become consistant AA customers.
New customer acquisition is I'm sure a metric that AA leadership is goaled on, these offers are low/zero cost to AA and despite the consternation of some here they do nothing to dilute or otherwise harm existing customers.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Once again, AA ignoring its existing elites to bring on new "elite" customers thus devaluing the elite experience entirely. Surely a BS shareholder play to farm activity that looks as though it is revenue generating.

Also SMH people talking about wanting to earn elite status only in basic econ upthread...
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by GlobalMatt; Sep 16, 2019 at 8:30 am
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:44 am

I hit the required amounts for Platinum on Aug 23rd but am still showing status only through Sep 25th instead of 2020. I'm hanging on hope that it'll update on it's own instead of having to call someone to fix it.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by bchandler02
If you do not reward my current business, why would I give you more in the future?
Not my theory...it's the boards & it does indeed reconcile.
I assume all of AA's analysis suggest that you (collectively, not individually) will give them more business once on the hook, even as they pare away benefits.
i.e. they get more return for every marketing dollar invested in chasing new customers then they do chasing existing customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.