Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:46 pm

Same: I received Gold along with 6 of the 500 milers, plus 6 more upon completion of the challenge. If they had offered this a month ago I could have met it easily. Now, probably not (

You've been exclusively selected to receive complimentary American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through December 13, 2019. Plus, we'll give you six 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached. Once you complete the promotion, you'll receive six additional 500-mile upgrades.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
GIVING it away to everyone else, and here I am at 136k+ EQM and $76 short of $15K EQD and was told it's IMPOSSIBLE to bump me to EXP now so I can burn the SWU's before C-space vanishes. I take FIVE AA metal flights in the next 10 days that will put me thousands over the threshold and over 150k EQM so it's not like I'm not going to qualify...
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Originally Posted by RedSun
Just received this:
You've been exclusively selected to receive complimentary American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum status through December 13, 2019. Plus, we'll give you twenty 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Platinum status or earn Platinum Pro status through January 2021?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and December 13, 2019.
Elite status level
EQMs needed
EQDs needed
Platinum
$6,000
$1,500
Platinum Pro
$9,000
$2,400

Register before you travel and no later than September 25, 2019.

Very impressive. Not sure if we can meet it.

I would be interested in the algorithm or logic behind who gets these emails. Are emails being sent out to certain markets? AA members who are flying less in 2019?
any insight anyone?

2019 AA Domestic Upgrades: 12 out of 29

2019 cities: ATH, CLT, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, MSP, ORD, STL, YWG, YYZ
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by FLL88
I would be interested in the algorithm or logic behind who gets these emails. Are emails being sent out to certain markets? AA members who are flying less in 2019?
any insight anyone?

2019 AA Domestic Upgrades: 12 out of 29

2019 cities: ATH, CLT, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, MSP, ORD, STL, YWG, YYZ
Actually this was sent to SO, who only fly AA probably twice a year. So I believe the target is the people who do not fly AA often. For the AA die-hards, probably No.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Another round of these, huh?

Should probably be merged with this existing thread: AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019
FLL88 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; Hilton Diamond
No clue on the algorithm, but I can tell you that four of the AAdvantage members in this household received the offer. Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Originally Posted by SEAPlatinum
No clue on the algorithm, but I can tell you that four of the AAdvantage members in this household received the offer. Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold.
that sounds like a Market targeted campaign
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
just hit gold about a month ago, mostly via OneWorld partner J tickets (although some legs were on AA). Nothing currently booked.

No email offer here. womp womp.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Got an offer for Gold, ten 500-milers. Last rev flight 2011. Last redemption 2012. Mileup holder 1 yr. Dining 10+ years.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Loading up on elites is obviously going to dilute the value of elite status. I wonder what they're going to do for the legitimate really high value flyers who don't quite make it the CK requirements (whatever they are!). Maybe bump more of them into CK?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Loading up on elites is obviously going to dilute the value of elite status. I wonder what they're going to do for the legitimate really high value flyers who don't quite make it the CK requirements (whatever they are!). Maybe bump more of them into CK?
This is a common complaint about these offers and its also not based in reality.

If the recipient of the offer isn't really a FF then they won't be using the status much and will not qualify in the future. While they have the status their EQDs being well below all who earned status the normal way will put them at the bottom of the list within their group so its not like they are taking upgrades that otherwise would go to "real" platinum flyers. If it turns out they switch to AA and continue to fly AA then from AAs perspective that's a win, if not its not like anyone else is losing anything or that the elite benefits of "real" Plats are at all diluted here, you still get all the stated benefits of your status.
FWIW I came over to AA back when UA was in the dumps and AA was offering EXP matches for 1Ks and I've been EXP for 5 years now resulting in quite a bit of $ going to AA that previously would have gone to UA/*A, where I've taken exactly 2 flights on since leaving. These offers have customer acquisition costs of $0 so if it turns out that someone signs up and doesn't make it or doesn't requalify the following year AA still gets some $ they likely wouldn't have otherwise and stands to gain considerably more revenue rom those that become consistant AA customers.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by ryan182
This is a common complaint about these offers and its also not based in reality.

If the recipient of the offer isn't really a FF then they won't be using the status much and will not qualify in the future...
As someone who flew my butt off on personal travel just to qualify for gold last year, these offers really have rubbed me the wrong way. In fact I did a status match to Delta for 2020 and am personally hoping by failing to re-qualify with AA to get one of these status shortcut offers next year, to have for 2021.

That said I personally know two people who have gotten these Platinum/Plat Pro offers through the mail, and Ryan is basically correct. I don't think these mailers are really tempting back FF'rs from other programs, they are ending up in the hands of occasional travelers. My co-worker signed up for his Platinum offer with no intention to qualify for the challenge, because he happened to have one RT business trip coming up on AA and wanted the shot at a first class upgrade. Doesn't fly enough to see value in even trying on keeping it for a year. My father has received the Plat Pro offer in the mail three times this year, and has thrown it away every time, as he just doesn't fly hardly at all.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I know we are going to get cries from the existing members. There is nothing new. After you are in the door, they care less.

All the merchants want to get new business. There are incentives everywhere, not just airlines.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:12 pm

I've checked periodically and haven't received a complimentary status invite or a challenge invite. Flying to Hawaii sometime in the next two weeks but still nailing down the specific dates. I plan to buy domestic F tickets. I don't care about the status all that much anymore, but if received an invite, I'd probably make a point of booking the tickets on American. Even though the dates I'm looking at are running about $800 higher on AA then on United or Delta.

No rhyme or reason on who seems to be getting these, but I'd love to know the Rosetta stone key if there is one. Those promotions actually have some utility for someone planning to fly frequently the remainder of this year and in the upcoming year. Especially if their status has lapsed. No luck though for me --- all the promotions I'm getting are "meh". (dining, online shopping, hotel bookings using some app I don't care at all about -- meh --- that ends up releasing personal information to more sources.) I just scroll and roll past them.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:54 pm

Targeted for the Gold interim status + challenge. Will actually be flying an abnormally high amount this fall, concentrated in AA markets. Anybody have any experience/success paying the difference to upgrade to the comparable Platinum challenge (I assume this is about $100)? I called and was told it was not possible to request an upgrade of the promotional offer. Twitter customer service was similarly unhelpful, so I wanted to socialize the question before I HUACA a couple times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.