FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Mar 9, 2019 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere (Post 30864579)
I am hoping I might get into DFW early enough to catch the earlier flight to AUS then what I have booked.

If I put myself on the standby list for the earlier flight and I don't make the earlier flight will I still keep my seat for the later flight?

Yep :)

gregleck Mar 9, 2019 5:28 pm

list of abbreviations and terminology

Is there a list somehwere of common abbreviations and a glossary of terms used on this site?

I am NOT referring to airport codes.

For example, it took me awhile to figure out EXP meant "executive platinum." Or does it?

And what the heck is an "AA metal flight?"

Mwenenzi Mar 9, 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by gregleck (Post 30867425)
Is there a list somewhere of common abbreviations and a glossary of terms used on this site?

For example, it took me awhile to figure out EXP meant "executive platinum." Or does it?

Some here, but their is also jargon/abbreviations used in a particular sub forum/ffp--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

AA metal is a flight operated by an AA aircraft
As opposed to a codeshare: AA flight number/marketed on an aircraft operated by another airline, like BA.

JDiver Mar 9, 2019 7:17 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gregleck (Post 30867425)
Is there a list somehwere of common abbreviations and a glossary of terms used on this site?

AA marketed flight = AA codeshare, AA flight on boarding pass

AA operated flight = “AA metal”

See below for the assistance offered through the help menu, including the Glossary and the Airport Code Lookup.

Jaxfan11 Mar 10, 2019 2:44 pm

AA Award change/Cancel on Gulf Air

I was wondering if anyone knows my options if I wanted to change an award flight I booked on Gulf Air Business Class BAH-LHR using AA miles.

AA doesn’t have a partnership with Gulf Air anymore.
does anyone know, can I cancel and get miles refunded for a fee? Can I change dates?

thanks.

richarddd Mar 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Time from LHR landing to T3 information desk?

We plan to take AA100 to LHR. It's scheduled to land at about 6:50 am on a Wednesday. We'll be flying in J and therefore should get fast track immigration. No checked luggage.

We're going to have a car service meet us and it's asked for an estimate of how long after the flight arrives we'll get to the T3 information desk (presumably the area shortly after the exit from baggage claim) They'll monitor the flight for arrival time.

What's a good estimate of how long after landing it should take to get to the information desk?

JDiver Mar 10, 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jaxfan11 (Post 30870125)

I was wondering if anyone knows my options if I wanted to change an award flight I booked on Gulf Air Business Class BAH-LHR using AA miles.

AA doesn’t have a partnership with Gulf Air anymore.
does anyone know, can I cancel and get miles refunded for a fee? Can I change dates?

thanks.

You can cancel and get the miles refunded.

You can’t make any changes.

April 30, 2018, is the last day to fly and earn miles on Gulf Air. All award travel must be booked and ticketed by that date. Travel is valid for 1 year after ticket date but must be flown by April 30, 2019. You won’t be able to make changes to any Gulf Air segments after April 30, 2018. -AA

tobikosan Mar 11, 2019 11:19 am

I am trying to buy a IAH to MXP business class tickets for two and cannot quite figure out which business class product on AA or BA to choose. I'd rather have shorter layover and would like to maximize credit to AS. Can anyone help with what airline and product to choose or consider?

I'd like to book on BA for the AARP discount but fly either AA or BA metal. It seems the BA upstairs 747 is well liked. What about AA metal?

JJeffrey Mar 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan (Post 30873591)
I am trying to buy a IAH to MXP business class tickets for two and cannot quite figure out which business class product on AA or BA to choose. I'd rather have shorter layover and would like to maximize credit to AS. Can anyone help with what airline and product to choose or consider?

I'd like to book on BA for the AARP discount but fly either AA or BA metal. It seems the BA upstairs 747 is well liked. What about AA metal?

BA has one of the worst international business class hard products out there. Forward/backward seating where you have to climb over your neighbor to get out unless you're in an aisle, in which case your neighbor is climbing over you. There are a few window seats on the upper deck of the 747 that offer good privacy and unobstructed access, which is why it's generally preferred to other BA options. However, even in paid business class, without oneworld Sapphire status you still have to pay for seat assignments in advance. So unless you pay more for seats you run the risk of being stuck in a backwards facing middle seat.

AA's international business class hard product, on the other hand, will be all aisle access in a 1-2-1 config.

For soft product, service, meals, etc., they both have their nuances however I find it's largely a wash between AA and BA. I wouldn't pick one over the other in this area, both can be good and both can be bad.

Rookie3 Mar 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Quick question - if I am flying on AA metal on a BA marketed flight do I earn EQM based on miles flown or does the BA rate code come into play? What about EQD? I'm not sure why I can get the same AA flights for around $500 from BA or $950 from AA but that is the situation I am looking at. Thanks.

NYC Flyer Mar 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rookie3 (Post 30880007)
Quick question - if I am flying on AA metal on a BA marketed flight do I earn EQM based on miles flown or does the BA rate code come into play? What about EQD? I'm not sure why I can get the same AA flights for around $500 from BA or $950 from AA but that is the situation I am looking at. Thanks.

If your ticket is issued by BA and your flights are coded BA, you will earn EQM/RDM/EQD based on partner earning schedule applicable to BA.

Rookie3 Mar 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 30880065)
If your ticket is issued by BA and your flights are coded BA, you will earn EQM/RDM/EQD based on partner earning schedule applicable to BA.

Thanks. Too bad there's not a way (that I am aware of) to get AA to match the price. That is too big of a difference to pay for the current version of full "earnings" and a limited shot at swus clearing. Why BA charges significantly less for AA flights is beyond me.

NYC Flyer Mar 12, 2019 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rookie3 (Post 30880259)
Thanks. Too bad there's not a way (that I am aware of) to get AA to match the price.

Technically, a travel agent can submit an itinerary to the desired carrier for a price match (if you've booked through one), but if the ticket is already issued, it's a bit late.

JJeffrey Mar 13, 2019 4:47 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 30880065)

And just to be clear, because this comes up frequently, with AA it doesn't matter who issues the ticket, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on.

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30880996)
And just to be clear, because this comes up frequently, with AA it doesn't matter who issues the ticket, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on.

O
Thank you. There’s been a lot of “but it’s on XYZ Airlines ticket stock”. Immaterial.

The marketing airline is what counts (the airline and flight usually on the boarding pass, the “codeshare”). The operating airline operates the airplane, the marketing airline the miles.