FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

DeltaNeutral28 Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am

Newbie AA question, but if I have the Exex card with citi and book an award flight with AA that is actually using Alaska, will I still be able to access the lounge past Nov 1 2019 ?

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 (Post 30881977)
Newbie AA question, but if I have the Exex card with citi and book an award flight with AA that is actually using Alaska, will I still be able to access the lounge past Nov 1 2019 ?

Yes, because of the AA - AS lounge use reciprocity agreement, possibly except SFO.

rittenhousesq Mar 14, 2019 8:02 pm

I'm a UA flyer and got the Gold challenge from AA and just booked a flight with them. I don't see anywhere in my reservation where they show how my EQMs and EQDs I will be earning for my flights. Is there a way I can view this information?
Thanks for your help!

JDiver Mar 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq (Post 30888797)
I'm a UA flyer and got the Gold challenge from AA and just booked a flight with them. I don't see anywhere in my reservation where they show how my EQMs and EQDs I will be earning for my flights. Is there a way I can view this information?
Thanks for your help!

As you book, there’s a point at which you can see your accruals.

For now, figure from you fare class how many EQM you’ll earn flying AA as AA (AA marketed and operated) using this chart. Basically, full First if Business, 3 EQM per flown mile, discounted First or abusiness, 2 EQM. Premium Economy, 1.5 EQM, Economy 1 EQM, Basuck Economy 0.5 EQM.

EQD AA marketed and operated will be the basic fare and any carrier imposed fee, not taxes, airport and ancillary (baggage, seat, etc.) fees at $1.00 = 1 EQD. You can see that by using the refunds site to look over your receipt (you’ll require your ticket number, beginning with “001” in your case. https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

We also have threads on these topics here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html

rittenhousesq Mar 15, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30889155)
As you book, there’s a point at which you can see your accruals.

For now, figure from you fare class how many EQM you’ll earn flying AA as AA (AA marketed and operated) using this chart. Basically, full First if Business, 3 EQM per flown mile, discounted First or abusiness, 2 EQM. Premium Economy, 1.5 EQM, Economy 1 EQM, Basuck Economy 0.5 EQM.

EQD AA marketed and operated will be the basic fare and any carrier imposed fee, not taxes, airport and ancillary (baggage, seat, etc.) fees at $1.00 = 1 EQD. You can see that by using the refunds site to look over your receipt (you’ll require your ticket number, beginning with “001” in your case. https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

We also have threads on these topics here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html

Thanks for this information. Wow, AA makes it difficult. My accruals are clearly listed on my receipt and reservation on my UA flights.

rkh29 Mar 15, 2019 9:58 am

I have a BUD-PHL-SEA business, then first award. I know I can access lounge in BUD but am unclear if I access lounge in PHL.

enpremiere Mar 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by rkh29 (Post 30890775)
I have a BUD-PHL-SEA business, then first award. I know I can access lounge in BUD but am unclear if I access lounge in PHL.

Assuming that you mean BUD-PHL in business and then PHL-SEA in domestic first, then yes. You would just need to show your boarding pass in PHL but you shouldn't have any problems there!

Rincon75 Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm

I've been lurking for a few weeks as I was interviewing for my first travel job and I was trying to figure out which airline I should partner with if I was hired. It looks like this will be happening now, so I need to do more than just lurk and absorb and I need to choose an airline to start my relationship with. I think AA makes the logical sense since I will be flying out of PHL. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction when it comes to learning about fare class codes. I've been searching the forums and I'm not finding any kind of beginner breakdown of the code system.

enpremiere Mar 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rincon75 (Post 30891917)
I've been lurking for a few weeks as I was interviewing for my first travel job and I was trying to figure out which airline I should partner with if I was hired. It looks like this will be happening now, so I need to do more than just lurk and absorb and I need to choose an airline to start my relationship with. I think AA makes the logical sense since I will be flying out of PHL. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction when it comes to learning about fare class codes. I've been searching the forums and I'm not finding any kind of beginner breakdown of the code system.

Here you go!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...d-threads.html

Good luck with the job interview!

glboisvert Mar 15, 2019 5:25 pm

I'll soon be traveling on an itinerary that starts with a domestic flight but connects to an international flight. The AA website says that I have to be checked in 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and 90 for international. Do I have to abide by the 90 minute rule because I'm going abroad, or do I get the benefit of the 45 minute rule because my first flight is domestic? I can check-in online if need be, but I'll need to check a bag and my departure airport is small enough that I'd rather not be there too early.

Mwenenzi Mar 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Rincon75 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Rincon75 (Post 30891917)

If the travel is work, best to find out if your new employer has a travel policy/preferred airlines/corporate travel agent.
Where you will be going could make a big difference. PHL is only part of the travel.

JJeffrey Mar 16, 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by glboisvert (Post 30892342)
I'll soon be traveling on an itinerary that starts with a domestic flight but connects to an international flight. The AA website says that I have to be checked in 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and 90 for international. Do I have to abide by the 90 minute rule because I'm going abroad, or do I get the benefit of the 45 minute rule because my first flight is domestic? I can check-in online if need be, but I'll need to check a bag and my departure airport is small enough that I'd rather not be there too early.

At a small outstation airport you definitely don't need to be there 90 mins before in this type of scenario. If you've already checked in online and just need to drop a bag, then technically you could get the benefit of the 45 min rule, although personally I would still try to allow at least 60 mins just in case.

TechMarauder Mar 16, 2019 8:38 am

This is the first year I’m a Gold. I found a great deal to Iceland that includes 1 bag. Do I get an additional bag allowance as a gold or is it just 1 bag total?

guv1976 Mar 16, 2019 8:46 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder (Post 30893958)
This is the first year I’m a Gold. I found a great deal to Iceland that includes 1 bag. Do I get an additional bag allowance as a gold or is it just 1 bag total?

One bag total. Your Gold status merely waives the fee for a first checked bag on fares that do not already include a first checked bag for free.

DCAFly Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm

BE newbie questions

I flew AA basic economy for the first time this weekend, just to see what all the fuss is about. It was DCA-ALB on a CRJ with plane-side bag check and (at DCA), mass boarding and a shuttle bus to the plane. With status I could still check a bag for free and at ALB I had early boarding. So the only downside is no seat selection and only 50% of the already measly 500 MQMs. Since the CRJ has a 2-2 configuration and the flight is 50 minutes, the no seat selection is hardly a Job-like affliction.

Here are my questions for the wise ones:
  1. On the outbound I checked in via the app ~ T-18 hours and had the option to buy a seat ($9 for front of plane, $19 for exit row). Does that always happen with a BE fare? I thought you just got what they gave you and there was no upsell option. Or is AA just that hungry for any revenue from any passenger it can get.
  2. I opted to forgo the purchase just to see what would happen, and they stuck me at the back of the plane. Exactly what I expected. Then, on the return, I didn't check in until the airport and got row 2 (this is a CRJ with no MCE). Again, is this common, even in a situation where it's a bigger jet with MCE seats? Seems like it would be egregiously unfair for a BE fare pax to check in late and grab an MCE seat instead of person on a regular economy fare who paid more but didn't purchase a preferred/MCE seat.
It was a fun experiment, but I really can't see using BE much in the future. I guess for a regional jet, < 1 hour flight, it may be useful.