FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

joe_miami Feb 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Haven’t flown AA in over two years. Vaguely recall reading a while back that AA still allows people in economy to move to any empty seat, including MCE, after the doors close. Is this still true? (I know this isn’t true on United or Delta.) Thanks.

MathMusic Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm

For the most part, I would say this is still true although since MCE now includes free alcohol some FAs will police that now. YMMV, obviously.

joe_miami Feb 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 30833022)
For the most part, I would say this is still true although since MCE now includes free alcohol some FAs will police that now. YMMV, obviously.

Thanks very much. I have a 7:00 am flight, so the booze isn’t a concern for me. Just wondering if I’m free to move up into the (currently) entirely empty exit rows one row ahead of my current seat.

Scoob72 Mar 1, 2019 1:55 pm

AA Plat Pro • Status match possibilities?

Would any FTers be able to advise me as to whether my recently-gifted (by AA) Platinum Pro status (thru May 2019) might enable me to get a status match to another international airline?

I didn't seem to get very far with statusmatcher.com, alas.

Any replies very welcome!

Thank you :)

joe_miami Mar 1, 2019 2:14 pm

It’s doubtful, because the May 2019 expiration is a dead giveaway that it wasn’t earned status.

Scoob72 Mar 2, 2019 6:47 am

Many thanks, Joe -- that makes perfect sense. I guess I was pushing my luck anyway.

Thanks in any case. ;)

smithrh Mar 3, 2019 4:15 pm

Traveling back from SE Asia in mid-May - a paid ticket, Business (I) so not full fare J. It's a AA codeshare, operated by JAL - HKG-NRT-ORD, JAL both legs.

I have an 18 hour layover @ NRT.

Can I extend that layover another day?

JJeffrey Mar 3, 2019 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by smithrh (Post 30843736)
Traveling back from SE Asia in mid-May - a paid ticket, Business (I) so not full fare J. It's a AA codeshare, operated by JAL - HKG-NRT-ORD, JAL both legs.

Yes. You can spend a month in Tokyo if you want, all you have to do is pay the fare difference and change fee for whatever the new fare is to fly HKG-NRT and then NRT-ORD on the new flight 42 hrs later.

NYC Flyer Mar 3, 2019 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by smithrh (Post 30843736)

Most tickets can be changed. You need to call the airline or travel agent that issued the ticket. The fare rules, not I or J booking class, will dictate whether there are fees to change the ticket and/or add a stopover at NRT (on international tickets, flight segments more than 24 hours apart are generally considered a voluntary stop rather than a connection).

smithrh Mar 3, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks - I'll give AA a shout, but not holding my breath - ran some quick web pricing on both JAL and AA and I get prices 3x to 11x what I've already got in hand.

NYC Flyer Mar 3, 2019 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by smithrh (Post 30844092)
Thanks - I'll give AA a shout, but not holding my breath - ran some quick web pricing on both JAL and AA and I get prices 3x to 11x what I've already got in hand.

The ticket may not require repricing at current fares. Changes on international tickets can often be made if class of service (I in your case) is available for just the change penalty and/or the stopover fee. If only J is available, there will definitely be an upcharge, though.

Anns76 Mar 4, 2019 10:19 am

Has anyone flown BA long haul on the a380 recently? How was customer service. I’m flying WT+ and I’m reading a lot of negative reviews online. They are a little bit scary about bags being lost to not being able allowed a carry on and they are all recent reviews. I read that BA vamped up their service this year.

JJeffrey Mar 4, 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Anns76 (Post 30846484)
Has anyone flown BA long haul on the a380 recently? How was customer service. I’m flying WT+ and I’m reading a lot of negative reviews online. They are a little bit scary about bags being lost to not being able allowed a carry on and they are all recent reviews. I read that BA vamped up their service this year.

This is the AA forum, I'm sure if you ask this over on the BA forum you will get lots of recent data points.

wanderlust99 Mar 4, 2019 11:13 am

Can we have 2 different cabin classes on the same PNR? For example, can we buy premium economy and coach tickets together at the same time? If so, if the elite (gold) is sitting in premium economy, can the others sit in MCE or preferred seats? Trying to keep us all together (relatively) while being sensitive to a tall family member who can't stand coach on long flights. Thanks!!

JJeffrey Mar 4, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by wanderlust99 (Post 30846715)
Can we have 2 different cabin classes on the same PNR? For example, can we buy premium economy and coach tickets together at the same time? If so, if the elite (gold) is sitting in premium economy, can the others sit in MCE or preferred seats? Trying to keep us all together (relatively) while being sensitive to a tall family member who can't stand coach on long flights. Thanks!!

No, it's not possible to have multiple people in different classes of service on the same flight in the same PNR. So to keep it all on the same PNR, you either need to book everyone in Premium Economy or everyone in Economy. And if the elite member is in a different cabin, then it's not possible to use their elite seating privileges for others to get MCE or preferred seats for no charge.