FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

wanderlust99 Mar 4, 2019 11:50 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30846835)
No, it's not possible to have multiple people in different classes of service on the same flight in the same PNR. So to keep it all on the same PNR, you either need to book everyone in Premium Economy or everyone in Economy. And if the elite member is in a different cabin, then it's not possible to use their elite seating privileges for others to get MCE or preferred seats for no charge.

Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. Is it possible to book some of us in MCE and some in main cabin if we are immediately ahead of/ behind each other? (such as rows 20 and 21) I think it is, since I've already done it for another upcoming flight, but now I'm afraid they will move the kids out of the preferred seats if we are one row ahead in MCE. We do already have confirmed seat assignments.

JJeffrey Mar 4, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by wanderlust99 (Post 30846869)
Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. Is it possible to book some of us in MCE and some in main cabin if we are immediately ahead of/ behind each other? (such as rows 20 and 21) I think it is, since I've already done it for another upcoming flight, but now I'm afraid they will move the kids out of the preferred seats if we are one row ahead in MCE. We do already have confirmed seat assignments.

As long as you're in the same cabin then you can sit wherever you want. It's no problem for half of your party to sit in MCE then the other half to sit in normal preferred seats in the row behind or even a few rows back.

blutek Mar 4, 2019 3:57 pm

Travelling from AUS-DUB in J. What routing would have the better layflat seats? Prefer to avoid BA's Club World (LHR) flight.

JDiver Mar 4, 2019 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by blutek (Post 30847922)
Travelling from AUS-DUB in J. What routing would have the better layflat seats? Prefer to avoid BA's Club World (LHR) flight.

AA 777 DFW-LHR and BA onward, or via PHL with the AA A330 to DUB, IMO. You already know of BA AUS-LHR.

JJeffrey Mar 4, 2019 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by blutek (Post 30847922)

Flying to DUB, AA operates either 787's (DFW/ORD) or A330's (CLT/PHL). Both offer full lie flat seats in business in an all-aisle access 1-2-1 config.

While there are minor nuances and subjective preferences between the aircraft types and connection airports, personally I would just book whatever routing is most convenient for your schedule. Going through DFW or ORD will allow for an evening departure from AUS and midday arrival into DUB, while connecting in PHL or CLT means a midday departure from AUS with an early morning arrival into DUB.

Also keep in mind AA's DUB schedule is highly seasonal with only PHL being year-round.

blutek Mar 4, 2019 6:32 pm

Very helpful, thank you.

airforjoey Mar 5, 2019 12:22 pm

Award Ticket Cancellation - Rebook Policy

I recently cancelled an one-way award ticket within 24 hours I booked using 15,000 AA points SEA-LAS. I was wondering if I can rebook the ticket for any SEA-LAS flights since I was told the ticket is valid for a year. Or does it have to be the same route/time?

Thanks

guv1976 Mar 5, 2019 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by airforjoey (Post 30851471)
I recently cancelled an one-way award ticket within 24 hours I booked using 15,000 AA points SEA-LAS. I was wondering if I can rebook the ticket for any SEA-LAS flights since I was told the ticket is valid for a year. Or does it have to be the same route/time?

Thanks

Any reason why you didn't just ask AA to redeposit your miles for free, since you cancelled within 24 hours of booking?

Also, 15,000 AA miles does not sound right for a one-way from SEA to LAS. That's more than the normal domestic Economy one-way SAAver award, and less than First Class SAAver or Economy AAnytime. :confused:

airforjoey Mar 5, 2019 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 30851522)
Any reason why you didn't just ask AA to redeposit your miles for free, since you cancelled within 24 hours of booking?

Also, 15,000 AA miles does not sound right for a one-way from SEA to LAS. That's more than the normal domestic Economy one-way SAAver award, and less than First Class SAAver or Economy AAnytime. :confused:

I did, but it would've cost me $100 or something like that to repost the mileage.

Sorry, it was 12,500 AA miles.

MathMusic Mar 5, 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by airforjoey (Post 30851471)

Thanks

It can be any SEA-LAS flight that has the sAAver availabilityv (assuming you booked it for 12500 miles). Basically it needs to cost the same number of points.

airforjoey Mar 5, 2019 1:50 pm

Got it, thank you!

JJeffrey Mar 5, 2019 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 30851728)
It can be any SEA-LAS flight that has the sAAver availabilityv (assuming you booked it for 12500 miles). Basically it needs to cost the same number of points.

Originally Posted by airforjoey (Post 30851837)
Got it, thank you!

This is true however keep in mind that for a routing like SEA-LAS, not sure what carriers you had on the original, but changing from an award including AS (partner award) to an award that is just AA (AA/oneworld award) will typically trigger the fee since the award type is changing (even if the miles are the same 12.5k).

guv1976 Mar 5, 2019 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by airforjoey (Post 30851691)
I did, but it would've cost me $100 or something like that to repost the mileage.

Sorry, it was 12,500 AA miles.

If you indeed cancelled the award within 24 hours of booking it, you should have been able to redeposit the miles without incurring the $150 redeposit fee. If an AA agent told you differently then, you can try calling AA now, tell them that you were given incorrect information when you cancelled, and request that they waive the fee now. Invite AA to review the recording of your prior call (if the recording still exists) to confirm your account of the conversation.

RG1X Mar 6, 2019 9:11 am

Quick question... have been warned that AA have a tendency to mess with their flight schedules.

Do they email you if they make a change, or do you have to keep an eye on it yourself?

JJeffrey Mar 6, 2019 9:25 am

Originally Posted by RG1X (Post 30854643)
Quick question... have been warned that AA have a tendency to mess with their flight schedules.

Do they email you if they make a change, or do you have to keep an eye on it yourself?

They will email you sometimes although often it will come days/weeks/months after the actual schedule change. It's definitely best to keep an eye out yourself.