Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
11k EQD
89k EQM
19 EQS

Offer for EXP USD 2495... not interested.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
13K EQD
82K EQM
24 EQS

No offer
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
6.7K EQD
48,833 EQM
35 EQS

Last year I noticed that flyers that had met EQD and were short on EQM were getting what I thought were very expensive offers, and now it happened to me. I'm stumped. This pricing model doesn't seem to make sense to me. Maybe somebody on this forum has some insight.

Offer of $715 to keep PLT. If AA offered something like $300, I would take it. However, I will instead take a trip in December that I was originally going to skip. AA will instead get about $400 after taxes to fly me and my 100 lb. of luggage 4,400 miles and feed me twice in the FL.

Even if I did not have a reason to go on this trip, I certainly would have done an MR of 1,200 miles on a super cheap fare for a lot less. Though, if I was not in a position to do that, I'll admit that I probably would have sucked it up and paid the $715. There is a huge difference in the benefits between GLD and PLT for international travel. So maybe I just answered my own question.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by amm
EQD: 11,579
EQM: 75,124
EQS: 64

No offer for EXP. Even before I hit the PlatPro qualifications, I had no offer. Anyone know if you don’t get a buy up offer if you took advantage of a offer in previous years? I’ve got some travel that will leave me a little over 15k eqm short and I’d consider an EXP buy up since I won’t have time for a mileage run.
I bought Gold last year, and got an offer this year also. I'm Plat now and the offer was for PlatPro, but I'll make it the old-fashioned way. (Well not really. I'm actually taking a trip, the "old-fashioned way" would be a mileage run!)
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
My boost to renew Gold was $699. I'm currently sitting at 13.3k EQM. Unless I get another trip before the end of the year, I'll just start over ... somewhere.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
My SAN/CUN flights posted to my account. I’m now at 65K EQM, 8K EQD and 21 EQS and an offer did pop up this morning for $1545 to go to PPRO. I will wait to take the TATL next month.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Just for grins, I checked my wife’s account. 6.6K EQD, 48.9K EQM and 7 EQS. She is currently PPRO and her offer for PLAT was $695. Again we’ll wait for that Dec TATL.

She will end up at 60K EQM and 8 segments, so an average of 7500 EQM per segment. A J/PE trip between LAX and SYD, plus F LHR-SAN and J LAX-LHR helps boost that number! She’s an infrequent frequent flyer.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:06 pm

I checked my buy up status and it’s $430 to hit gold status. I moved a while back and lost Delta status so I’d like to get back to having status with an airline finally.

can anyone help with some advice on whether to buy up or book out another flight?

Stats:
2,874 of 3,000 EQD's (dollars)

19,284 of 25,000 EQM's (miles) or 20/30 segments

I have 1 booked flight from CLT->PHX->TUS roundtrip this month.

Someone on Reddit told me this is the forum to get help from. I am nervous about being off on my math. I’m sure there’s a cheaper flight from Charlotte that I can book for the remainder but I’d want to be sure that one hits the EQM’s.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Superguy
My boost to renew Gold was $699. I'm currently sitting at 13.3k EQM. Unless I get another trip before the end of the year, I'll just start over ... somewhere.
Wow, weren't you a CP for a few years?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Kdrosas
I checked my buy up status and it’s $430 to hit gold status. I moved a while back and lost Delta status so I’d like to get back to having status with an airline finally.

can anyone help with some advice on whether to buy up or book out another flight?

Stats:
2,874 of 3,000 EQD's (dollars)

19,284 of 25,000 EQM's (miles) or 20/30 segments

I have 1 booked flight from CLT->PHX->TUS roundtrip this month.

Someone on Reddit told me this is the forum to get help from. I am nervous about being off on my math. I’m sure there’s a cheaper flight from Charlotte that I can book for the remainder but I’d want to be sure that one hits the EQM’s.
CLT-PHX-TUS will get you about 3760 EQM, and I assume will put you over the top on EQD. That would leave you needing about 2,000 EQM. You can probably book a flight that will get you over the top for $200 to $250. For this, google.flights.com is your friend.

However, after you take your scheduled trip to TUS, the offer will probably improve a little. If it were me, and the offer dropped to $350 or less, I would just take it. By the time you factor in the other costs of making the round trip and your time it would be pretty close to a wash.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Generally, things seem to fall in three camps here:

--I didn't get an offer (perhaps 20% of the group)
--I hate the offer I got (perhaps 75% of the group)
--I got a reasonable offer (5% of the group?)

Sounds about right from AA's point of view. The purpose of this buyup/buyback offer isn't to create a whole mess of EXP Lites; it's to provide one additional way to get to an elite status level without actually flying.

I'm not impressed with my offer either, BTW. But I do understand why AA is pricing things the way they are. Essentially, they've determined that individual pax value their status more than AA does, so if they can grab some extra 100% profit dollars from those pax, why not?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:50 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by PHL
I'm $7000 EQD for 2018 and 2 segments away from Platinum. They offered me a buy up to it for $795. No thanks, but I wonder if that offer will change to PlatPro after I fly those 2 segments next week once I've earned Platinum.
I hit 60 segments, 48,000 EQMs and $8200 EQD's, earning Platinum "the hard way". My buy-up offer still shows $795 to get to Platinum.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
My progress to EP is below. I got an offer for Platinum Pro the day I qualified for PP. A few days later the offer dropped off. It now says I am not eligible for an offer. I will be qualifying with flights anyway but thought I would share as a data point.

Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:49 am

It looks like they are cutting off somewhere around 85k EQM for EXP offers. (Although I thought I saw at least one person had an offer with around 83K EQM, but I cannot find it now.) Now I'm wondering if a small mileage run in hopes of triggering an offer plus the offer itself would be cheaper than a 17K EQM mileage run.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Me:
currently PP
$9.9k EQD
46.2k EQM
1 trip left this year
no offer; I'm not going to renew PP so will fall back to Plat - would have been interested to see what they would have offered to keep me at PP

Daughter (college):
no status
$1.2k EQD
11.4 EQM
1 trip left this year
Offer: buy Gold for $2,015; crazy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.