Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by birddogmax
I often get the $500 upgrade offer returning from Europe at check in, which never happened at GLD.
Sorry to pop your balloon, but if you are getting the $500 upgrade offer, it's because there are upgrade seats available to purchase, not because of your status. i.e., more or less everyone would be offered the same offer. I don't think there is any data in the LFBU thread to support the contention that an international LFBU offer will ever be made contingent on status. I think it's coincidental that you received the offer when you were plat but not when you were gold, and I wouldn't recommend that the OP take that into consideration in deciding whether to pay for plat.
AlphaTango likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Buying up or a MR are your only real options. And it's not clear how much extra you'll get as a Plat. The extra RDM's are inconsequential. Do you frequently check a second bag?

I made a point of making PP for next year but I mostly fly elite-lite routes so I have hopes for upgrades. And there can be big differences in fares by time of day on my routes so buying the cheapest and a free SDC at midnight matters too. I'm sure I wouldn't have spent a lot to make Plat just to get free MCE.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:48 am

AA Advantage question

I hope I’m in the right place for this question.
The company I work for books all my travel, they book what works best so not always on the same carrier. I received a email from AA to continue my miles through 2020 for 700.00. Wondering if this is worth the money to keep and move up a level next yr or start over in January. Here is what I have as of now. Thanks for any input.

Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I find it hard to imagine a scenario where this is worthwhile
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
The only way I can see this making sense is if you have a lot (20+) of 500 mile upgrades in your account that would be orphaned.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:18 pm

Only 9
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If you are paying to check a bag on your trip, at $30 per bag one way, that's $60 round trip. If you take 12 round trips on AA, and check one bag each time, that's $720 in bag check fees, and your break-even point.

AA Gold members get one checked bag free.

There might be other reason you want/need elite status like Priority Access, etc, but I don't think any of that is worth $700 when you don't fly AA regularly.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with our existing “Buy Back” thread. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
Buying up or a MR are your only real options. And it's not clear how much extra you'll get as a Plat. The extra RDM's are inconsequential. Do you frequently check a second bag?

I made a point of making PP for next year but I mostly fly elite-lite routes so I have hopes for upgrades. And there can be big differences in fares by time of day on my routes so buying the cheapest and a free SDC at midnight matters too. I'm sure I wouldn't have spent a lot to make Plat just to get free MCE.
Thanks. I don't often check a second bag so that's not as important. The MCE certainly is nice but the even boarding in Group 3 makes a huge difference these days considering that flights to Atlanta and Chicago are nearly 75% Concierge Key, ExecPlat and Plat. I agree, not sure it's worth the cost to buy up especially at that price. If it was a couple hundred dollars, it would be an easier decision. Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by travelincognito
Thanks. I don't often check a second bag so that's not as important. The MCE certainly is nice but the even boarding in Group 3 makes a huge difference these days considering that flights to Atlanta and Chicago are nearly 75% Concierge Key, ExecPlat and Plat. I agree, not sure it's worth the cost to buy up especially at that price. If it was a couple hundred dollars, it would be an easier decision. Thanks!
I'd recommend trying out Gold and setting aside the $1300 or so to buy extras (like MCE at booking or checked bags) as you need them. It's not as bad as some on this forum will make it out to be. I've bounced around between Gold and Platinum for a number of years and the difference has gotten a lot smaller over the years (especially since the end of the 100% RDM bonus). I just qualified for Platinum but almost entirely organically (I qualify on segments so I was able to add a segment here and there as a connection without increasing my cost). But I wouldn't pay serious $$ to get Platinum over Gold.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
Or put the 1,300 aside for when you want to fly up front and use it to cover the fare difference. This
should be good for a few trips assuming domestic travel (and the purchase pads your EQMs and EQDs for mext year)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:26 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
On Jan 1, fly DFW-LHR-HKG on BA in PE, that should get you 32,000 EQM and 4300 EQDs. Then fly DFW-HKG in PE and find a travel agent to get it as a special fare and boom, you’ve got Plat through Jan 2021.
travelincognito likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:27 pm

You could also look at DL for flights to ATL. I fly often from another of their hubs DTW, and was surprised that their Comfort+ (MCE equivalent) was with no status on DL cheaper than AA and getting the free MCE as Plat. After years of avoiding DL because the flights were too expensive, recently it's become a tossup, so DL is getting some business starting with the next flight I buy for January, Dec already having been purchased. I realize that's a completely unrelated answer to your question, but might want to compare pricing, for the routes I frequent, the economics has changed a lot.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by travelincognito
Hello. First timer here. I've been AA Plat for the last few years but due to changes in my job, I wasn't able to fly enough to re-qualify for Platinum. I'm currently short by $1,032 EQDs and 11,619 miles. I've received the "status extension" email from AA where they want to charge me $1,355 to secure Plat for another year.
If Platinum is important and the miles (e.g. more to spend later) are less so, unless your time is nearly worthless you are saving $323 for maybe 20 hours of faffing around airports to get the miles and by spending the $1,032 (or less but I doubt there is a F/J fare for less that is that long and multiplies out to $1,032 and miles come out to 11,619).

If the status matters spend the $1,355 and you don't have to do anything.
travelincognito likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.