Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goblueov
Hello all...
Looking at my travel through EOY, I should hit the spend for Plat Pro, but will probably fall short of the EQMs by 10K (won't hit segments). Has anyone gotten a boost offer for this in the past and was it less expensive if you already hit the spend requirement?
Also curious how people feel about Plat Pro v. Platinum in terms of benefits (I'm currently Plat).
Thanks!
My offer last year when I was close to Plat Pro was $995 with ~70K EQM/~8900 EQD/17EQS. I was Plat at the time.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
EQM/EQS seems to be the key. I was at $8k eqd last year and around 38k eqm. They wanted over $1,600 to keep plat, so I am lowly gold this year.

In my case, Iwish they would just drop the eqm/eqs requirement as I take a lot of short but expensive expensive PHX/SJC flights.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:45 am

Thanks everyone! I was projecting to be between $9K-$10K spend with ~72K EQM. I just found out I'm going to Mexico in September, so I may just book in First, and hopefully avoid the buy back altogether.

Thanks for the responses!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by jcain
My offer last year when I was close to Plat Pro was $995 with ~70K EQM/~8900 EQD/17EQS. I was Plat at the time.
I'm late to reply on this one, but thank you!

Did you end up taking the offer and was it worth it? I would consider it for $995... although I'm currently booking a few tickets in First to qualify outright and enjoy some longer flights I have upcoming to PDX, LAX, and SJD.
Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goblueov
I'm late to reply on this one, but thank you!

Did you end up taking the offer and was it worth it? I would consider it for $995... although I'm currently booking a few tickets in First to qualify outright and enjoy some longer flights I have upcoming to PDX, LAX, and SJD.
Thanks!
I did not because I ended up getting the extra 5K EQM and 3K EQD from Barclays card spend. As to whether Platinum Pro is worth a $995 upcharge from Platinum, I would say it depends on your travel pattern. I don't fly a lot of segments so the free SDC benefit doesn't have that much value to me, though I have used it and could see it being a big deal for people who fly more often. I've also cleared a couple upgrades that I don't think I would have gotten as a Platinum. Personally I wouldn't pay $1K for Pro but it is nice to have.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:39 am

Anyone know if this going to happen again for 2020? My travel before the EOY doesn't look like I'll make EXP on miles, maybe segments.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Crisphoarder
Anyone know if this going to happen again for 2020? My travel before the EOY doesn't look like I'll make EXP on miles, maybe segments.
This is free money for American so it's likely to return.
LovePrunes and enpremiere like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by JetAway
This is free money for American so it's likely to return.
ABSOLUTELY.

It’s literally easier than minting miles that actually accrue a liability whilst this is just a pure cash play.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I'll easily requal for PPRO and could get to EXP EQM if I wanted but I'd probably fall $2-3k short on EQD. Not sure it's worth spending that to get back to EXP (was there for years before I retired).
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Please continue discussion on this topic in the 2020 buy-up thread here:
Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2020

Thanks.

aztimm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.