Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just curious does your wife currently have status? I've been PLT for 4 years or something. Am sitting at 22k EQMs and 2800 EQDs, and AA wants $1445 from me to retain PLT. What the !!!
She's a platinum. Was gold last year.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
It does look like they're making lower offers to people who don't fly them much - and might not fly them much in the coming year. Free money for AA.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Marriott/, SPG Gold, Hhonors silver; IHG Gold
I received an offer a couple of weeks ago for about $1800 before an already booked flight in business which later put me in EQD: $11938 (so close!) and EQM over 102k. New offer $449 for EXP which I wont take because I’ll have a transatlantic flight in December.
Btw, this is last year qualifying as EXP, it was challenging to get the EQD (this year only personal, no business flights), it will worse with higher EQD 2019, thinking about changing airline...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I’m Plat at 60,615 EQM and 7,091 EQD and just got an offer for $2,245 for PPro. No trips for December but there’s no way I’m paying that much.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
This is another good one by AA. Just like other posters that have ticketed flights to get them to the next level, but still an offer from AA.

I am currently at $15,505 EQD, and 74,715 EQM. A mere 285 EQM's need to get PP. I have a paid "I" fare to California this weekend. And more trips in paid First to get me to EXP by end of year.

Their offer was $995. I have a feeling they will tweak the algorithm for next year, some of these examples make AA look silly.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:01 pm

AA is bloody optimistic, to say the least. I am an EXP of 10+ years standing, and at the end of October 2018 I am at over 98K EQM and 13,500 EQD. A few days ago they sent me an e-mail offering to renew my EXP for next year at a cost of $1,300! Wishful thinking, I would say.

And that too when EXP means less - fewer upgrades (Y->J) clearing and far fewer award seats available.

Go jump, AA
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:18 pm

Options to qualify for Platinum?

Hello. First timer here. I've been AA Plat for the last few years but due to changes in my job, I wasn't able to fly enough to re-qualify for Platinum. I'm currently short by $1,032 EQDs and 11,619 miles. I've received the "status extension" email from AA where they want to charge me $1,355 to secure Plat for another year. I know there's not a lot of time left in the year but I'm wondering what my options are to secure Platinum without it costing me that much. I'm based in DFW. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Does EQD waiver from the Barclays card affect these offers? I know that getting more EQD legitimately does lower the cost of buying up. In my scenario, I am 23,872 EQMs and 1200 EQD. So waiving the EQD would leave me with like 130 EQMs left to buy up lol.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA PPRO
Originally Posted by tikchik
This is another good one by AA. Just like other posters that have ticketed flights to get them to the next level, but still an offer from AA.

I am currently at $15,505 EQD, and 74,715 EQM. A mere 285 EQM's need to get PP. I have a paid "I" fare to California this weekend. And more trips in paid First to get me to EXP by end of year.

Their offer was $995. I have a feeling they will tweak the algorithm for next year, some of these examples make AA look silly.
I was 74,217 with 12k eqd yesterday. I was sitting at the airport ready to board LAS <> MIA when they sent me the $995 offer. I decided to take the flight home instead, lol.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:51 pm

Current Plt, 68 segments, and 5918 EQD. Offer $325 for Plt, ignoring the next RT that has another $400EQD already booked, Um, no thanks. Given the minimal value seen, I'm moving on to Comfort+ on DL, and paying the same for a non-stop instead of the cluster through ORD every winter.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I think you just described your available option to maintain PLT very well. And welcome to FT !
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelincognito
Hello. First timer here. I've been AA Plat for the last few years but due to changes in my job, I wasn't able to fly enough to re-qualify for Platinum. I'm currently short by $1,032 EQDs and 11,619 miles. I've received the "status extension" email from AA where they want to charge me $1,355 to secure Plat for another year. I know there's not a lot of time left in the year but I'm wondering what my options are to secure Platinum without it costing me that much. I'm based in DFW. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Don't bother unless you intend to fly more than $1355 worth of MCE upgrades will cover. Out of DFW the upgrade rate will approach 0, and other than the free MCE, and 1 group earlier boarding, you are unlikely to get anything in return for the money spent. I fly through DFW about 2-4x a month, and it's rare to be lower than mid teens on the upgrade list as a PLT.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk travelincognito!

As it is nearly the end of the year, you might be out of luck. I did a little searching from DFW (and nearby places like GRK, AUS, and IAH) to various destinations. The best I found was this itinerary. But at $1226 (plus hotel, any incidentals, and wear/tear on your body), if you really need the status, you'd probably just be better off taking that offer.

Another option, if you have some availability, would be to do a run (or 2) in January. You'd still have your Plat status to take advantage of lounges and such, and the status would run for an extra year.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:41 pm

Thanks All! I had a feeling that it would come down to either paying for the ridiculous status extension scam or taking a flight that would cost the same - or more - but wanted to ask the experts to see if there was something I wasn't aware of. I appreciate the quick replies and help! Does anyone know if AA will be offering status challenges in 2019? That might be my only other option to regain PLAT before 2020. Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Time is against you but if you can find a discounted OW fare that earns based on distance you could hit the numbers without having to spend the full amount. Don’t try any ex-DFW routes, those are always the most expensive; rather, look to alternate departure cities, especially going west or south, then book a separate PNR staging flight to get there and back. I seriously doubt you can do it for a whole lot less than the buy-up cost but it’s worth a try.

As as other posters have pointed out, PLAT benefits out of DFW are non-existent but return options are often pretty good. I often get the $500 upgrade offer returning from Europe at check in, which never happened at GLD. The free MCE option at booking is pretty good, too - perhaps not worth $1300 but it all depends on how much you fly (I know I spent close to that on MCE as a GLD). Personally, I like the challenge of finding creative routings to make qualification for less than regular fare costs but maybe I’m just a sucker for punishment (which probably describes most of us on this forum). To each their own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.