Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA PPRO; Marriott Rewards
Got my offer today. I'm currently PPro with $13K EQD, 86,831 EQM and 42 EQS. Offer was/is $2645 for EPlat. I don't have any more trips planned this year. My spending is roughly 50% OPM/50% Mine (including my business related travel). I do several trips overseas each year on my dime, and like the idea of SWU and higher status. In my mind, the SWUs are worth $1400 and 100,000 miles. I generally rely on mileage upgrades for my overseas travel, but this past week was 0-fer both out and back for the first time in a long, long time. Part of it was the Chicago weather debacle on the 25th, but coming back I was still a bit too far down the list.

It's tempting because finding the time and the route to do a 14,000 mileage run is unlikely - at least for anything less than $2645 when you consider airfare and opportunity cost. Am I stupid?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by mulakehound
It's tempting because finding the time and the route to do a 14,000 mileage run is unlikely - at least for anything less than $2645 when you consider airfare and opportunity cost. Am I stupid?
It really depends what your availability is like over the next few weeks. I just saw this post over in the Mileage Run forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30494890-post1981.html

If you're even slightly interested, I'd post there (use the form and complete all of the information), and you never know what some folks will find for you.
mulakehound likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: American ExPat
I don’t think so

New guy here.
I’ve been Ex Plat for several years and I’m 10,115 miles short for 2019 (good on EQDs).
I was offered to maintain my status for a paltry $2,495.
I think not!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:03 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
And now merged with our existing Boost Up thread. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: EXP on AA, Plat Premier Marriott and CK on AA
I have paid as much as $1800 in the past to re-qualify for EXP: well worth it to me to fly internationally for me and my husband paying for coach tickets (& flying FIRST) to Paris using the EVIP segment upgrades. Saved $17,000 this year. Those upgrades are the only reason to go for EXP again. Problems - (1) Cost (2) and now that it was lowered in 2018 from 8 to 4. & (3) they are almost impossible to get .... but still, love those EVIP upgrades with the EXP status
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Couple questions on Buy Up:

1) when is the usual deadline for doing the buyup? End of December or end of January?
2) does it count for EQD?
3) this I doubt but I thought I'd ask - tax deductible???
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AA MM, EXP, Marriot Gold
I got a new offer for EP, At $16542 EQD and 99781 EQM and I can get EP for the low low price of $1345

I have a 1500 mile flight next week, so I will decline, but I find the offer egregious for 219 miles short!
w1jim likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: American ExPat
Originally Posted by jracca
I got a new offer for EP, At $16542 EQD and 99781 EQM and I can get EP for the low low price of $1345
I have a 1500 mile flight next week, so I will decline, but I find the offer egregious for 219 miles short!
Their absurd upgrade opportunity pricing makes as much sense as some of their fares.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by JMN57
Couple questions on Buy Up:

1) when is the usual deadline for doing the buyup? End of December or end of January?
2) does it count for EQD?
3) this I doubt but I thought I'd ask - tax deductible???
1) Deadline is July
2) Yes
JMN57 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I was curious what would happen on this...

I have the EQM's for PP, and I am 11 EQD short.

Prior to my last trip, at which time I was about 10K EQM and 1K EQD short, my offer was $1345.

My offer now - for being 11 EQD short - is $349.

I had a miscalculation on EQD with a special fare which is why I'm 11 short, and I have 3K EQD pending from a credit card, so I'm not biting, but I was still amused to see what they want for practically the smallest shortfall possible.

I was expecting go to over and have 9040 EQD and 75.6K EQM and see what they'd ask for EXP (if I got an offer at all). Maybe I'll find out after the EQD post.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Received buyup for Plat last month, but already hit with previously scheduled flights. Now at $8800 EQD and 63k EQM, just received Plat Pro buyup for $1595. Have one flight left so I definitely will not reach Plat Pro on my own. SDFC and better upgrade chances seem nice, but no way will I pay that much. It makes more sense to hold on to Plat and upfare or purchase first outright a few times next year.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
AA proactively emailed me to let me know that my buy-up offer to Platinum Pro decreased. Currently Platinum with ~70K EQM/~8900 EQD/17EQS and the offer is $995, whereas at 63K EQM/8600EQD/14EQS I think it was $1595. I suppose $995 would make sense for someone who uses SDC a lot. Not me given the number of segments I do but I'll make it with CC spend anyway.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:20 pm

I'm $540 short of making PLT this time around and was hoping to receive a buy-up email. Finally received the message.... offering me a $235 buy-up to Gold.

Seems AA's computers are just a bit behind the times with tracking our actual status. Oh well, might have to do a short out-and-back lat Dec.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I just hit 90 EQS and earned PlatPro for the first time this morning. I have 18k in EQD. I usually finish comfortably at Plat but this year I had an uptick in travel.

I logged on to see if I had a new offer.

$995 for PlatPro (LOL)
$3765 for EXP

Yeah, no thanks. I (or Mrs. pa3lsvt) fly F for leisure most times anyway and my PlatPro benefits are adequate when we don't. Otherwise, I'm just commuting to work through an airport and, again, my PP benefits are adequate for the task.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
I am at $16755 spend and 93,647 miles. The last miles posted just today. They are asking $2795 to maintain my ExP. The flight that would have put me over had to be canceled so I might consider this.

Since the last flight miles just posted today, anyone think the price will go down in a day or two? The cost seems higher than what others have posted who are at about my point for the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.