Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Have had lousy luck with the Panasonic wifi over the last several months. LAX-PVG and it stopped working about 3 hours into the flight stayed connected but a simple web page took 20 minutes to load (after several time outs and refreshes). Had a similar issue on JFK-MIA on a 777 and MIA-CLT on a 757.
bchandler02 and dc_traveler like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I've got a total of 11 flight segments in the next 45 days - all 11 are within a 30 day window of each other.

Equipment used: 1 A321, 2 E-75, 3 A319, 2 738, 1 E-190, 2 CR7s. All flights except one are two leg trips.

From what I gather, the E-175s, the CR7s, the E190s, and the A319s will mostly all have Gogo while the A321 an the 738s have VSAT. IIRC, if you have a subscription to Gogo on a monthly basis, you can use it in VSAT equipped planes (but not day passes).

If I have a total of 5 days of flying, I'm guessing that buying the Gogo month pass is my best deal rather than paying a la carte for 11 segments?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Panasonic was completely down on JFK-MIA 763ER
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
Have had lousy luck with the Panasonic wifi over the last several months. LAX-PVG and it stopped working about 3 hours into the flight stayed connected but a simple web page took 20 minutes to load (after several time outs and refreshes). Had a similar issue on JFK-MIA on a 777 and MIA-CLT on a 757.
I've quit buying it. The last 3-4 times, it has been mostly unusable (couldn't even manage to check corporate email)
GoGo has been better than Panasonic lately.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Was on a 777-200 a few days ago JFK-LHR and bought the full flight pass. I was on my laptop on VPN the entire flight. VPN connection itself only dropped once. It was definitely choppy, and some things just didn't work well, but I was quite able to send and receive email and use IM with my co-workers. I even got onto a GoToMeeting at one point and tried to listen in via integrated audio. That was almost unbearable, but I was able to get some parts of the discussion.

The odd thing is that when I tried to get my portable devices on, they would not work. Neither my Android nor my iPhone would work. I was able to get as far as the login/payment portal, but could never get beyond those.

I have to say I somewhat miss the good old days when there was no connectivity on airplanes.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
The odd thing is that when I tried to get my portable devices on, they would not work. Neither my Android nor my iPhone would work. I was able to get as far as the login/payment portal, but could never get beyond those.
I experience that issue every time that I try to log onto AA's in-flight WiFi with my Samsung SG9+, regardless of the service provider.

My go around is going to the NeverSSL website once I get the blank black screen (you must type in the full URL, I have it bookmarked on my phone). It always works.
Old May 18, 2019, 1:03 am

AA inflight

CPH Travel WiFi has apparently been a good provider for AA, it uses the network of iPass and I think primarily North America and Europe to NA but certainly has good pricing.

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I knew this would happen, and wow, AA's wifi really has gotten annoying.

Did a mileage run yesterday to wrap up Plat Pro for 2019. The good thing was that all four flights were on time or early; 3 out 4 four flights had some open seats to spread out; the one full flight was my first 787-900 flight (LAX-DFW) which was 100% full but since I landed a PE seat, I was content (humored by the 53 people on the upgrade list who were grousing when it was noted by the gate agent that there will be "no upgrades on this flight".

But.....of the four flights, there were THREE different wifi providers: Gogo on the A319 and A321 flights, Panasonic wifi on the 787-900 and VSAT on my 737-800 fleet. It is almost impossible to do any advanced planning on wifi buying with so many variants.

It'd be nice if AA provided a bridge for pre-purchased day passes and monthly passes across all fleet types. I know Gogo monthly can be used on VSAT but I don't think the reverse is true.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:16 am

CPH Travel WiFI / Mobilise

Hi All, for those interested, I received an e-mail from CPH Support that CPH Travel WiFi is no longer available for purchase for technical reasons. They recommended the use of Mobilise hotspots ( www.mobilisehotspots.com ) as an alternative. Itseems to be good and they also have competitive annual subscriptions, while cph had a maximum of 6 months.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Hdw000
Hi All, for those interested, I received an e-mail from CPH Support that CPH Travel WiFi is no longer available for purchase for technical reasons. They recommended the use of Mobilise hotspots ( www.mobilisehotspots.com ) as an alternative. Itseems to be good and they also have competitive annual subscriptions, while cph had a maximum of 6 months.
their website isnt the best ....although it days they support AA

https://mobilisehotspots.com/inflight

i have access to gogo through tmobile but seems like most planes now have viasat.

Will mobilise subscriptions provide access on viasat domestic aircraft in the US? Panasonic international?
Old May 30, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
their website isnt the best ....although it days they support AA

https://mobilisehotspots.com/inflight

i have access to gogo through tmobile but seems like most planes now have viasat.

Will mobilise subscriptions provide access on viasat domestic aircraft in the US? Panasonic international?
Very long thread about Mobilise here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...el-wifi-5.html

tl;dr: Lots of problems. New entrant mentioned toward the end of that thread: https://www.flexinets.eu/inflight_wifi/. I feel like these guys were reselling for someone, as I remember reading a post on their site about Gogo issues on AA, but I don't remember which provider it was.

Edit: No Viasat as of the post in March: https://www.flexinets.eu/american-ai...-issue-notice/

Last edited by linglingfool; May 30, 2019 at 8:16 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:55 am

Day pass for Viasat?

Sorry if I missed it, but is there a place to buy a Viasat day pass for AA in advance?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
No. Only those who kept an active Gogo AA membership can use it on the Viasat.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
No. Only those who kept an active Gogo AA membership can use it on the Viasat.
So the only way to pay for ViaSat is when I get on the plane?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Hoser13
So the only way to pay for ViaSat is when I get on the plane?
Yes.

Standard cards and PayPal are accepted.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:34 am

WiFi on all AA transatlantic Boeing 757?

I'm flying from PHL to SNN in Economy this September. Checked my reservation and didn't see a WiFi icon. I do see a WiFi icon, however, for my DUB to CLT flight home in economy on an Airbus 332. I know 757s are old equipment. But I thought the transatlantic ones would have been retrofitted for WiFi by now.

Also, anyone know if AA offers any discounts (refunds) on WiFi purchased using either a Barclays Aviator AAdvantage Business MC or a personal Citi AAdvantage Platinum MC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.