Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Doesn't UA get a lot of their revenue on those flights from the pharmaceutical industry?
I wouldn't be surprised considering both Novartis and Roche have facilities in the Central/North Jersey area, with Novartis being very large. Also does hurt that it's *A hub to hub.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
At some point if B6 wants to continue to expand Mint they are going to need lounges/showers in a few of their airports.
I concur. After a red-eye a lounge with a shower prevents the need to check into a hotel for two hours.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:00 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
DL is flying the DeltaOne product which offers a 1-2-1 configuration and international-level amenities and meals. A couple of flights a day are on a 752 with 2-2 configuration and lie-flat seats but most are on 763 and 764 aircraft with lie flat seats.
The big difference is that the Delta flights offer the configuration charging J fares while you have to buy F to get a solo seat on AA.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by mmgm

The big difference is that the Delta flights offer the configuration charging J fares while you have to buy F to get a solo seat on AA.
Delta has 2 of their 10 SFO flights on A330s, and something tells me there is zero compensation if a 763/752 gets subbed in as it is still lie-flat D1.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Delta has 2 of their 10 SFO flights on A330s, and something tells me there is zero compensation if a 763/752 gets subbed in as it is still lie-flat D1.
The 763 is still 1-2-1. Regardless, I'd take DL's product and service over AA's product and service, even if I had to "suffer" with a DL 752 on the route.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I don't believe that "JFK is the odd one out". While I'm not privy to AA strategic planning, it does seem that as the largest airline in the world, AA can effectively support two northeast international hubs better than anyone else. PHL vs. JFK is not a zero sum game. I don't use JFK often, but the few times I've flown in and out this year it has appeared as though AA is utilizing every gate. Personally, I wouldn't mind a few less International flights out of JFK in exchange for for connections to non-hub cities like STL or SAN. Either way I don't see any sign that JFK is being deprecated. UA on the other hand has retrenched into its EWR fortress and truly has deprecated LGA after abandoning JFK. I think AA is still bullish on NYC.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ksweeney
I don't believe that "JFK is the odd one out". While I'm not privy to AA strategic planning, it does seem that as the largest airline in the world, AA can effectively support two northeast international hubs better than anyone else. PHL vs. JFK is not a zero sum game. I don't use JFK often, but the few times I've flown in and out this year it has appeared as though AA is utilizing every gate. Personally, I wouldn't mind a few less International flights out of JFK in exchange for for connections to non-hub cities like STL or SAN. Either way I don't see any sign that JFK is being deprecated. UA on the other hand has retrenched into its EWR fortress and truly has deprecated LGA after abandoning JFK. I think AA is still bullish on NYC.

I think the issue is slot availability for AA. JFK is still slot controlled and AA is maxed out on what they can use based on their allocation, so the only way they could grow flights is to acquire slots from someone else. That will be an uphill slog since B6 and DL are in a back alley fight to get every slot they can to support their hubs. Meanwhile, UA wants back not JFK after selling their 26 slots to DL.

AA is not going to get any bigger at JFK anytime soon. Their only hope is the expansion announced last week will result in a bolus of slots becoming available sometime in the next several years. In the meantime, they will continue focusing on O&D and connecting traffic to other OW partners at JFK.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I think the issue is slot availability for AA. JFK is still slot controlled and AA is maxed out on what they can use based on their allocation, so the only way they could grow flights is to acquire slots from someone else. That will be an uphill slog since B6 and DL are in a back alley fight to get every slot they can to support their hubs. Meanwhile, UA wants back not JFK after selling their 26 slots to DL.

AA is not going to get any bigger at JFK anytime soon. Their only hope is the expansion announced last week will result in a bolus of slots becoming available sometime in the next several years. In the meantime, they will continue focusing on O&D and connecting traffic to other OW partners at JFK.
Are the Eagle slots only allowed to be used by RJs? If not, that's a bunch of slots they can use for a better sized flight than an RJ to a mid-size town that would do better flowing through PHL.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Are the Eagle slots only allowed to be used by RJs? If not, that's a bunch of slots they can use for a better sized flight than an RJ to a mid-size town that would do better flowing through PHL.
AFAIK the slots are by hour, not aircraft type. AA could probably operate as many flights as it wants at 6 AM. It's the peak hours (which at JFK are in the afternoon) where slots are tight.

Regarding the sizing of planes, keep in mind that for inside the perimeter, demand is split between LGA and JFK, which can limit the size of plane that a flight to JFK can support. This is true for both O/D and connecting as there are plenty of people connecting at LGA.

My guess is that you'll see more adds along the lines of the recently announced JFK-SAT, where SAT is outside the perimeter, is a large area to have good O/D, and has a reasonable FF base for AA. I know it's boring for folks on FT but someone is running the numbers at AA.
dfw88 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
AFAIK the slots are by hour, not aircraft type. AA could probably operate as many flights as it wants at 6 AM. It's the peak hours (which at JFK are in the afternoon) where slots are tight.
Most of the Eagle flights I'm mentioning are in the afternoon and evening. Slots are not the issue for AA adding more mainline and int'l flights.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
When your old ticket shows a direct flight between JFK to NRT on AA metal

Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Originally Posted by samwise6222
When your old ticket shows a direct flight between JFK to NRT on AA metal

wow I would love that itinerary!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by krakendown
wow I would love that itinerary!
Before 9/11 both UA and AA flew this route... times changed
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
It's been a slow march for years. For a long time I flew American, but as AA dehubbed STL and pulled back in NY and DL merged with NW and ramped up NY -- one day I was shocked that I was buying JFK -LHR on Delta instead of OW. I've got nothing against PHL, but it's never going to be my primary gateway. It's sad that AA is third in NY and STL now, but it's been a boon for B6 and WN.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Did AA stop their morning LHR flight from JFK? Does anyone know if they are planning to bring this flight back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.