Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
JFK-CLE/ORF/SAT getting trimmed in May. No confirmation whether this trimming is permanent or just for the month of May.
AA often loads the initial change into the schedule ~3 months into the future and then updates everything past that a week or 2 later. They did something similar to PHL-MEX and I expect this will have the same outcome.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
JFK-MCO gone after June.
Looks as though this has been brought forward. My wife was booked on the Friday afternoon service for the Memorial Day weekend and today received notification of a schedule change, which now involves a stop in CLT. The only non-stop flight from JFK/LGA to MCO that day is first thing in the morning from LGA.

I was hoping she'd be able to go via MIA and enjoy one of the 767s or 777s that are currently rostered that afternoon and enjoy the Flagship Lounge on the stopover but unfortunately non-stop timings for the afternoon are the only way it'll work for her.

This route going away is a personal loss for us, her grandparents live in Orlando and we used to enjoy the Friday afternoon/Sunday evening flights back every couple of months for the last four or five years. The MCO-JFK service in the evening went away in 2015 or so and we've put up with LGA arrivals for the last few years. With the timings on Friday evening service JFK-MCO getting later and later in the last 18months or so we've only used it the once, instead opting for B6's almost hourly service on brand new A321s. No Flagship Lounge and no FC which is rather annoying, but my wife won't fly DL unless it's an absolute last resort, even if it means downgrading to a loungeless, EMS seat on B6!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

JFK-MCO gone after June.
Originally Posted by Fraser
Looks as though this has been brought forward.
Hasn't actually changed:

Fraser likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: American Airlines
Can’t blame them for winding down JFK.

I happily spend more to avoid that cesspool.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The NYC/Florida routes are hyper competitive. Other than MIA AA has cut most of its fNYC to Florida flying out and AFAIK never had NYC/RSW or NYC/JAC.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Flight44

And instead enjoy the even worse cesspool that is Philly?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

I strongly suspect that passengers’ view of JFK as a cesspool has little or nothing to do with AA’s NYC reductions. B6 and DL (and UA at EWR) have far more to do with it, I would guess.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The NYC/Florida routes are hyper competitive. Other than MIA AA has cut most of its fNYC to Florida flying out and AFAIK never had NYC/RSW or NYC/JAC.
AA has definitely flown LGA-RSW/JAX. JAX I think post-merger. RSW has not been flown in a long time.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by cmd320
And instead enjoy the even worse cesspool that is Philly?
Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Most large airports in the US are pathetic examples of poor design, lousy maintenance, and shabby customer care.
kingstontoon, cmd320 and zip10001 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Are JFK slots use or lose? I'm surprised that AA would not have some service lined up to replace routes they cut. Presumably if they want high dollar corporate contracts in NY, they are going to have to figure out what will actually work for them.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Most large airports in the US are pathetic examples of poor design, lousy maintenance, and shabby customer care.
Yes, that I agree with.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Under the FAA's slot allocation guidelines, a carrier must generally use a slot 80% of the available time or it can be reclaimed by the FAA. That said, carriers can lease their slots to other airlines so theoretically, AA could reduce its flights at JFK and lease the freed up slots to another airline (perhaps another OW member). It sure looks like AA is intent on paring back domestic service at JFK to just hub routes, west coast premium and a few key routes while relying on LGA for short/mid domestic hops and the bet is that this will be enough to keep corporate accounts happy.

From the FAA's order on JFK slots:

7. For the duration of this Order, a carrier may enter into a lease or trade of an Operating Authorization to another carrier for any consideration. Notice of a trade or lease under this paragraph must be submitted in writing to the FAA Slot Administration Office and must come from a designated representative of each carrier. The FAA must confirm and approve these transactions in writing prior to the effective date of the transaction. The FAA will approve transfers between carriers under the same marketing control up to five business days after the actual operation, but only to accommodate operational disruptions that occur on the same day of the scheduled operation. The FAA's approval of a trade or lease does not constitute a commitment by the FAA to grant the associated historical rights to any operator in the event that slot controls continue at JFK after this order expires.

8. A carrier may not buy, sell, trade, or transfer an Operating Authorization, except as described in paragraph 7.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

In other words, your statement that AA should drastically reduce their JFK presence because it’s a cesspool makes no sense, unless your suggestion is that AA pull out of most large airports in the US.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:57 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by stewlevine
Are JFK slots use or lose? I'm surprised that AA would not have some service lined up to replace routes they cut. Presumably if they want high dollar corporate contracts in NY, they are going to have to figure out what will actually work for them.

Keep in mind JFK only has slot controls in the evening to night time, so if AA completely shrinks their daytime operation to zero they won’t lose any slots.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)

For me, as an AA passenger, JFK is great! Flagship Check-In with TSA Pre means I'm in the Flagship Lounge in less than 5 mins from the curb 90% of the time. T8 is bright and airy and new and not too big (compare to say T4 and the epic walks to even get to the DL Skyclub, or the clusterfudge that is security there). That's before I factor unique things to me such as "my guy" in the Flagship Lounge who my wife and I have got to know well due to regular visits that delivers phenomenal service consistently, etc.

The only JFK gripes I have are that the evening rush hour can mean longer taxi times (that said on a 5.30pm departure last week we were in the air 10mins after pushback) and although T8 is compact a great percentage of my flights seem to go from the further gates in the satellite concourse!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.