Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:45 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to take a voluntary down-grade for a ORD-HKG-BKK segment from F ito J if initially the segment is booked in F? The reason I ask is because I am trying to book two tickets in F for 2 people for their honeymoon. I can only get one ticket in F for the entire trip, so I was going to book them both at the F award price (because of the devaluation) with one person in J from ORD-HKG. Naturally, they do not want to risk sitting apart for this trip, so if another F seat doesn't open up later, they would still like to sit together in J.

Alternatively, I could book them both in J for ORD-HKG, and F from HKG-BKK, and call if 2 seats in F open up later for the ORD-HKG segment. Any advice on which is best option or best chances of getting F the entire trip? Seems like J would be easier to find later on.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
BA availability

Are people finding BA.com shows good CX availability for AA miles? I'm finding flights that look available for awards on BA.com- but AA agents say not available...just not sure if i should push the agent or if this indeed correct?

thanks
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:27 pm

Found J availability for a flight I want to take later in the year (post 03/22) but was really hoping for F. Could I book JFK-LAX in transcon F plus LAX-HKG in CX J then, when it comes closer to my departure date, switch to F if there is availability without repricing the award?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
BA

BA is generally the best gauge for availability but it's been mentioned on this site many times both by those in the know and anecdotally that AA and BA have slightly different access to CX award inventory buckets. As a result the availability does not always mirror each other, with BA often having earlier or more access to award seats than AA, particularly close-in when a flight may be F2 or F3 with the corresponding 1 or 2 seats released into award inventory.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
While I think this is true for some people, I think most people are holding itineraries that are not "ideal" but are holding as back-up in case their ideal routes/dates don't appear (i.e. the people split up on multiple flights on the same day or next day). I can't imagine there are that many people sitting on hundreds of thousands of miles just to speculate bookings that they won't use.
Have millions of miles to do that, but haven't just because of time constraints to travel this year. We have "non-ideal" bookings and are planning to shift around if seats open anytime soon, or within days of flying if need-be.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
Stopover on award ticket?

Apologies if this is answered somewhere upthread, but I don't see in the Wiki if CX allows a stopover on one-way awards; i.e. LAX-HKG (stopover)-CPE?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Originally Posted by Soulag
Apologies if this is answered somewhere upthread, but I don't see in the Wiki if CX allows a stopover on one-way awards; i.e. LAX-HKG (stopover)-CPE?
They do; as long as there is inventory open, and the stopover is less than 24 hours
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by susiesan
Uh, yes they are. There are numerous people here who have admitted to having upwards of a million AA award ticketed itineraries they are holding and will decide later which one they will actually use. These people are EXP so it costs them nothing to redeposit the miles when they cancel one of their trips.

I myself just ticketed an itinerary for a vacation to Vietnam for next January. Ideally I want to go late Feb. or early March. As soon as my ideal dates become available I will change my travel dates. If I have to go in January I will, but I am definitely going to Vietnam on vacation.
But that doesn't seem to make sense logically. If the point is to USE the tickets before the deval, sitting on million of miles to only just redeposit them after the deval means that they just deflated the value of those miles. It makes much more economic sense for every single person to try to use up as many miles as possible before the devaluation - which would mean that any tickets they have invested in would actually be flown. (Or maybe I'm just thinking too much game theory right now - and I need to deal with the fact that people are not rational actors.)
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
No stop overs on AAdvantage awards unless you book more than one award.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:57 pm

This is a thread about booking CX with AA miles.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
Originally Posted by glocklt4
This is a thread about booking CX with AA miles.
Sorry, should have been more clear; I was asking about booking a stopover on CX using AA miles.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:57 pm

Sorry, should have been more clear; I was asking about booking a stopover on CX using AA miles.
Ok, got it. As said above, no stopover allowed on AA. Up to 23:59:59 layover is.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
So sad. AA use to allow stopovers.

United still does!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by AspiringWorldTraveler
You just need your PNR for the CX flights - get that by calling the AA call centre and requesting the CX PNR. Then you can switch the seats online. IIRC the basinet seats are the ones that are blocked and need to be phoned in for, but for any other (the "non-premium" position in the first class cabin) you can select them online.

When is your flight? How were you able to secure two seats in F on same flight?
I only got 1F and 1J for that HKG-JFK flight. I'll keep a lookout for another F seat.

Originally Posted by Dr.milology
Does anyone know if it is possible to take a voluntary down-grade for a ORD-HKG-BKK segment from F ito J if initially the segment is booked in F? The reason I ask is because I am trying to book two tickets in F for 2 people for their honeymoon. I can only get one ticket in F for the entire trip, so I was going to book them both at the F award price (because of the devaluation) with one person in J from ORD-HKG. Naturally, they do not want to risk sitting apart for this trip, so if another F seat doesn't open up later, they would still like to sit together in J.

Alternatively, I could book them both in J for ORD-HKG, and F from HKG-BKK, and call if 2 seats in F open up later for the ORD-HKG segment. Any advice on which is best option or best chances of getting F the entire trip? Seems like J would be easier to find later on.
Yes, you can do this. But, in order to swap from F to J there has to be an available J seat for that flight.
Originally Posted by RedElmo
So sad. AA use to allow stopovers.

United still does!
23 hours 59 minutes would give you almost a full day in the city.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Superorb
23 hours 59 minutes would give you almost a full day in the city.
That's a layover. Worthless "stop over"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.