Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by tsz
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been established over time that this isn't the case—the only CX seats not redeemable by AA would be Premium Economy seats. But otherwise, t's either QF is showing phantom space, a bad AAgent, or the dates are too far out for AA...
The dates were not too far out, and the seat was for F.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:56 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ig64
So I rolled the dice and spent my AA miles on a 3/28 first class flight to Manila that I plan to cancel and hope I can rebook to another date at the old rates, per the method outlined some pages back. My question is: does it matter whether I call to cancel before or after devaluation?
I did same and was told to ensure to cancel prior to flight. Just make sure you keep ticket number and don't redeposit miles.

I got lucky and legged in ord-hkg-rgn on Feb 10, can't believe it opened up today.

I always had another set in business class so I'm going to switch my return I have to fit in with my Feb 10 outbound, return my other one way business class and hope I can use my first class back home if something opens up on jl or CX first class.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Lot of phantom availability lately on BA for CX
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by tsz
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been established over time that this isn't the casethe only CX seats not redeemable by AA would be Premium Economy seats. But otherwise, t's either QF is showing phantom space, a bad AAgent, or the dates are too far out for AA...
I believe this is correct. I have not heard of a separate agreement for J/F award bookings between QF and CX
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by pvgman
Lot of phantom availability lately on BA for CX
Maybe, but I think two things are still more likely: either the space you saw on ba.com was snapped up in the couple of minutes it took to call AA, or you reached an agent who didn't search properly. Today I saw 2 F seats on ba.com for HKG-LAX 3/27, called, and was told no go. Got the usual "different carriers have different availability" line that we know not to be true (and in fact to be a red flag that you're not talking to the best agent). I checked ba.com again to see if the seats had been taken, and saw that they apparently hadn't. Called AA back again and a second agent had no problem seeing the availability. Always HUCA.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Maybe, but I think two things are still more likely: either the space you saw on ba.com was snapped up in the couple of minutes it took to call AA, or you reached an agent who didn't search properly. Today I saw 2 F seats on ba.com for HKG-LAX 3/27, called, and was told no go. Got the usual "different carriers have different availability" line that we know not to be true (and in fact to be a red flag that you're not talking to the best agent). I checked ba.com again to see if the seats had been taken, and saw that they apparently hadn't. Called AA back again and a second agent had no problem seeing the availability. Always HUCA.
Very well explained ^
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: most of them
I used awardnexus.com to search availability. Saw space in February in CX F using both the QF and JL/CX search options. The BA option showed nothing. When I called to book the aagent said she didn't see the flights I had as being available but she did find J class on the evening flight that goes via YVR which had no appeared in any of my searches. So I get to BKK a day later than planned. Maybe I should have tried HUCA? I also asked her if I could get an F seat at the old rates if one opened up on these flights and she seemed to think I would be charged at the new rates.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I used awardnexus.com to search availability. Saw space in February in CX F using both the QF and JL/CX search options. The BA option showed nothing. When I called to book the aagent said she didn't see the flights I had as being available but she did find J class on the evening flight that goes via YVR which had no appeared in any of my searches. So I get to BKK a day later than planned. Maybe I should have tried HUCA? I also asked her if I could get an F seat at the old rates if one opened up on these flights and she seemed to think I would be charged at the new rates.
You cannot search with the CX option and expect to book with AA miles. Doing so is like using CX's website searching their own award inventory. You have to use the BA option to get valid results that are bookable with AA. I'm not sure why the QF option showed you anything though, as BA and QF should both see partner award space that AA can. BA is the safer bet.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Ok, I figured out the problem, the stupid QF website shows the seats as F if the first leg is AA domestic F, with a notation that the two long haul CX legs are in economy. That's why the AA agents couldn't see it. Geez...

Last edited by nk15; Mar 21, 2016 at 8:48 am
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:12 am

Yeah, the QF site is a pain to get used to. I pulls in a lot of inventory from airlines like Emirates that are QF partners, but not AA partners or OW members. No way to restrict searches to nonstop flights to go segment by segment either.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:57 am

I have ATL-ORD-PEK-HKG-REP on hold. 1st 2 segs are AA last 2 CX.
Can I change to ATL-ORD-HKG-REP with the ORD-HKG on CX?

Does the long haul segment have to remain the same or can I switch as long as CX was part of original itin?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:06 am

It is gone already , If anyone release any award let me know from HKG-USA

Originally Posted by beachfan
I just released an F award on the following flights

1/1 CX 897 LAX-HKG
1/17 CX 898 HKG-LAX

If anyone is releasing anything (before or after devaluation) in the last two weeks of December, a PM to me would be most appreciated.

ETA - according to BA.com, they went back into inventory right away
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by glocklt4
You cannot search with the CX option and expect to book with AA miles. Doing so is like using CX's website searching their own award inventory. You have to use the BA option to get valid results that are bookable with AA. I'm not sure why the QF option showed you anything though, as BA and QF should both see partner award space that AA can. BA is the safer bet.
Thanks. I didn't realize this as I have used this method several times in the past and it worked. The QF results on awardnexus do have a disclaimer that CX flights may not be available.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
For days I have seen BA.com showing availability for the flight I want to book, there is even 2 seat available as of now according to BA,

Then checking on Award Nexus with BA, JL and QF, only QF show the seat available,

Crosschecking this with EF, no seat has been pre-assigned and it shows F4-A2, then Marco Polo show 2 seats available as well...

I HUCA several time, no luck...
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all for the great info!
I was able to snag a C r/t LAX-HKG some 330 days out.
Moving that eventually in for desired dates in fall, I was wondering, if there is a pattern of how far out C-seats become available.
Probably a "refresher" question for this thread, but search function did not turn up answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.