Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Why not just book AA F to HKG then switch to CX F when it opens? That's what plan to do from LAX.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by seawolf
It's been reported several times AA transcon 3 cabin F combined with CX J will price out as J award. You need to find an intra-Asia F segment.
Finally got someone who understood and was willing to work with the rate desk to force it as F. Took 5 tries. But she was able to drop a CX F HKG MNL and isert a CX J HKG CMB without it dropping to a J award (the only F is JFK-SFO, which I plan to drop)
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:52 pm

Pretty sure booking AA F and switching to CX F post devaluation will cause it to reprice. All AA awards are ticketed differently than One World partner awards and require that it be reticketed, which will, very likely, cause it to be repriced.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by greg0ire
Why not just book AA F to HKG then switch to CX F when it opens? That's what plan to do from LAX.
It's more complicated as I'm on CX F on that flight, and I want her to be confirmed in J on that flight so we don't separate (she's already said I could have F if I'm the only one as she is choosing the destination).

It's for January 1 at 8:25 am, I"m hoping not a lot of paid F that morning. (If I was paying for F, I wouldn't get up that early on New Years Day)
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Pretty sure booking AA F and switching to CX F post devaluation will cause it to reprice. All AA awards are ticketed differently than One World partner awards and require that it be reticketed, which will, very likely, cause it to be repriced.
On its own, no question it would. The strategy I've seen some employing is attaching a CX segment to the AA HKG flight so that it tickets as a partner award not al all-AA award.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:58 pm

Good point. In this case I am going onward to CMB on CX so the original ticket will be a One World Award. But if I didn't have that onward CX segment, it would reprice.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Not true. I just spoke with AA today and was told a change with any partner doesn't constitute a fee or rebooking.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Not true. I just spoke with AA today and was told a change with any partner doesn't constitute a fee or rebooking.
Changing between OW partners will not trigger a reprice but changing between AA and AA+OW/OW-only will as they are two different types of awards, IIRC
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Do not rely on that-- it's a massive oversimplification even by the current rules (not even involving award chart change.). So, you can safely ignore that info you were given, it's incorrect.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:04 pm

I wouldn't rely on anything AA CSR tell you either.

I had a one way from Muscat to Abu Dhabi to Los Angeles on EY

I was able to drop Muscat to Abu dhabi for free so not sure if it is only for the last segment drop or not
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:08 pm

When I changed from CX+AA to just AA on an award on Jan 29, it was reticketed (all miles put back in my account and then taken out again) and I was told that it would be $150/ticket (6 tickets). I told them that I would not make the change if they charged me and the rep on the phone went to her supervisor and had to wait for them to provide an authorization code to waive it. So you might be able to get the reprice waived, but that would not be according to AA policy. I wouldn't count on them be as understanding switching from all AA to a partner award as from a partner award to all AA. Switching from AA to partner means money out of their pocket, switching the other way means money in their pocket, with only an opportunity cost lost. And I would especially doubt that they would waive it if it is not just $150, but also tens of thousands of miles that they are waiving.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Deleted
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:50 pm

just dropped an F seat for HKG-LAX on 12/30/15 @ 1015. Thought I would give yall a heads up
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
I wouldn't rely on anything AA CSR tell you either.

I had a one way from Muscat to Abu Dhabi to Los Angeles on EY

I was able to drop Muscat to Abu dhabi for free so not sure if it is only for the last segment drop or not
By the rules as we know them, you should be charged $150 because Muscat and Abu Dhabi are not in the same country. Only when the Origins in the same country that you can drop it for free.

So count your lucky star for that free change because the agent was not aware of the 2 airports were in different countries (much like US agent insisted Vietnam was in North Asia instead of SE Asia...)

You are being misinformed by an incompetent AAgent.

Read what JonNYC said, as well as others posts right after your post - relying on what you are told by an AA agent at your own peril that is all I would say.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 7, 2016 at 6:44 pm
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm also concerned that the HKG-MNL F strategy may not work, but I'm wondering what your specific concerns are.

I'm thinking once it's priced and issued, I can take drop the last segment (HKG-MNL) without it being repriced. But I"m concerned when I add HKG-CMB it will reprice down. Does adding a segment at the end in the same region always trigger a reprice?

I am also worried about CMB availability closer to flight time. Only 1 J HKG-CMB available now.

The idea of another Transpac F, and switching dates might work if I could be confident of J availability but on the date we are targeting, she already grabbed the only J seat on that day.

I might try it for a day with a lot of J availability. Problem is, things don't ticket that quickly.
It will reprice when you add CMB that is my assessment.

Also I have found surprisingly, the US-HKG CX J isn't that hard to find given some flexibility, LAX seems the best to find J in quantity and in many dates. However the regional Js are very hard to come by - case in point, I could not find any workable date/city pair between HKG and Australia despite CX flies to all major Australia cities - SYD, MEL, BNE, CNS, ALD. and PER! HKG-JNB-HKG is in same situation. I am giving up hope to optimize our current booking as I see Js disappear from all dates that not picked before, and no new release on dates hoped for.

I were you, just travel on the same flight one in F one in J - that is how we ticketed our AS award to JNB - I am in F he is in J as he could not understand the concept why with such small differential (even smaller on AS award) one should shoot for F... plus he does not drink, so he should be in J. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.