Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Superorb
I had similar fees for DUS-HKG and also HKG-JFK recently too.

Originally Posted by redghost
Same. I had similar fees for SIN > HKG>ORD>CLT.
thank you both. I've never booked awards on CX before so appreciate the insight.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Just made my first ever combined CX/AA award booking and was charged $92.50/person for taxes and fees, is this right?

1 way booking from ATL->CLT->JFK->HKG->PVG.
The charge is too high. Are you by chance booking within 21 days of travel ($75)? If not, maybe the phone booking fee of $40 was not removed. Definitely call back and get a run down of all fees.

Going to Asia costs less than coming back from HKG.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just made my first ever combined CX/AA award booking and was charged $92.50/person for taxes and fees, is this right?

1 way booking from ATL->CLT->JFK->HKG->PVG.
Should be around $37.

US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.60
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $7.50
US International Departure Tax (US) $17.80
HKIA Security Surcharge $6

If you are overnighting in HKG, add another $15.50USD.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
The charge is too high. Are you by chance booking within 21 days of travel ($75)? If not, maybe the phone booking fee of $40 was not removed. Definitely call back and get a run down of all fees.

No, this is almost a year out, last week of Jan '17.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Should be around $37.

US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.60
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $7.50
US International Departure Tax (US) $17.80
HKIA Security Surcharge $6

If you are overnighting in HKG, add another $15.50USD.
Are those fees/charges standard across the board? just wondering bc I had originally ticketed a JL/AA award for 19.40/person so clearly that math doesn't make sense if these are standard. Also I'm not overnighting in HK.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:47 pm

No, this is almost a year out, last week of Jan '17.

Are those fees/charges standard across the board? just wondering bc I had originally ticketed a JL/AA award for 19.40/person so clearly that math doesn't make sense if these are standard. Also I'm not overnighting in HK.
It looks to me the most likely case is that the agent forgot to take off the $40 phone booking fee.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:52 pm

It looks to me the most likely case is that the agent forgot to take off the $40 phone booking fee.
I've got 4 charges of $78 twice and $86 twice. Former for DUS-HKG and latter for HKG-JFK-CLT-DEN. Do my charges seem high?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I've got 4 charges of $78 twice and $86 twice. Former for DUS-HKG and latter for HKG-JFK-CLT-DEN. Do my charges seem high?
I am not familiar with DUS-HKG.
But for HKG-US, it is about right.

HKG charges a $6 security surcharge, which makes the award ticket's "fare" no longer zero. Once this is no longer zero, AA adds a bunch of US government fees to the collect list. These fees are not collected if the fare is zero, which is the case on a booking of US->HKG.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:23 pm

Called back and spoke with another agent after I got the email confirmation showing that it was $150 plus $17.50/person charge listed for both myself and my wife. The agent said she could not find out what the $150 was for and it should have only been the $17.50/person, so she's putting in a refund request for me.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:37 pm

This made me go look at my receipt -- My fees were like this (per person) for DFW-ORD-HKG-BKK and back:

Fare $17.00 USD
Tax/Fee/Charge $125.40
Total $142.40
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by eiddor
This made me go look at my receipt -- My fees were like this (per person) for DFW-ORD-HKG-BKK and back:

Fare $17.00 USD
Tax/Fee/Charge $125.40
Total $142.40
that's for 1 person? anything listed specifically as tax/fee/charge I can understand, if I copy and pasted what my email looks like I'd have you all scratching your heads. The agent on the phone helping me took 10 min to dig and couldn't find an explanation for it.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:54 pm

that's for 1 person? anything listed specifically as tax/fee/charge I can understand, if I copy and pasted what my email looks like I'd have you all scratching your heads. The agent on the phone helping me took 10 min to dig and couldn't find an explanation for it.
Yep, that's right from the email receipt. No further break down.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Delete

Last edited by glocklt4; Mar 15, 2016 at 11:46 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I have a J award booked for April 4 HKG-EWR, if an F seat HKG-JFK opens up close in, can I change to that at the old mileage rate or will that trigger the new post-3/22 rates?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by transparent
Ok-- so just to make sure I understand re: close-in booking then cancel but NOT redeposit placeholder:

1) Theoretically, it should work as long as the miles are not redeposited and we use the ticket number and have it exchanged for a new PNR in the future, but not 100% sure this will work (therefore this should be last resort as iadisgreat says)

2) The only 100% sure "placeholder" is a booked award and changing the date/routing keeping the O/D the same. Changes to origin country, and dropping segments etc, we are not 100% sure what will happen (but likely will not be allowed without reprice).
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I have a J award booked for April 4 HKG-EWR, if an F seat HKG-JFK opens up close in, can I change to that at the old mileage rate or will that trigger the new post-3/22 rates?
So far as we know currently, this will be upgradeable at the post 3/22 rates (110k total for Asia 2 award, less what you have already redeemed (67.5k) for an upgrade of 42.5k miles per passenger)
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
What if I booked HKG-JFK at some distant date in the future at the current rates, then changed it to April 3-5 should the seat open and cancelled and refunded the J ticket? Would a change of dates even if city pair and class of service is the same trigger the new rates or would it stay at 67.5 for F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.