Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:20 pm

When using Award Nexus to setup email alerts for a HKG-JFK CX flight, what time should I run the search? Early morning in North America, Europe, or Asia? Or does it not matter because AA loads the award seats at different times each day?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So here is one concern hoping to secure an award in the days before the actual flight. My understanding is that the long haul international leg may open up, but I seriously doubt it that the regional leg will (regional legs may follow different patterns). So, you may get that F seat NYC-HKG, but then you will be stuck in HKG because the regional leg HKG-BKK won't open up. That's my concern.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
When using Award Nexus to setup email alerts for a HKG-JFK CX flight, what time should I run the search? Early morning in North America, Europe, or Asia? Or does it not matter because AA loads the award seats at different times each day?
For long-term monitoring, my experience has been that it doesn't matter too much. I have seen CX awards released at different times. I'd just check at a time that is convenient for you to take action on, such as the morning of your own continent.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
So here is one concern hoping to secure an award in the days before the actual flight. My understanding is that the long haul international leg may open up, but I seriously doubt it that the regional leg will (regional legs may follow different patterns). So, you may get that F seat NYC-HKG, but then you will be stuck in HKG because the regional leg HKG-BKK won't open up. That's my concern.
Theoretically yes that is a concern, but from my experience booking CX awards in the last few years, CX regional short-hauls (especially TPE and PVG) are fairly available. BKK is somewhat less so, but they still tend to be available with a longer layover. Plus, you can always take a downgrade to economy, which is another strategy to complete the booking.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Theoretically yes that is a concern, but from my experience booking CX awards in the last few years, CX regional short-hauls (especially TPE and PVG) are fairly available. BKK is somewhat less so, but they still tend to be available with a longer layover. Plus, you can always take a downgrade to economy, which is another strategy to complete the booking.
How about SIN, PEN, or KUL? Downgrades to economy could be ok, but economy awards may tend to disappear even faster than the business ones.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
How about SIN, PEN, or KUL? Downgrades to economy could be ok, but economy awards may tend to disappear even faster than the business ones.
The longer regional flights such as BKK tend to be trickier. I think PEN was tight two weeks in, when I was booking it three years ago. No experience with KUL or SIN.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Well, to be honest-- and in yours' (and others' defense)-- it's confusing.

I'm not 100% sure on almost any aspect of these pre-devaluation placeholder bookings -except- that date changes on booked awards will be guaranteed.
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
No one ever needed to worry about locking in a price prior to our current situation. The devaluation coupled with CX somewhat reducing available award inventory has put high pressure on what is out there. Previously, EXP could book and cancel willy nilly without regard to fees (or carrier or cost in miles) and other flyers could lock in something around their desired date and fiddle with it fee free. Now, EVERYONE needs to lock in a price for some time in the future by the same deadline. Since the above has led to almost everything having been spoken for, leaving only close-in flights being available, this method is kind of the last ditch way to take advantage of the low rates.

Basically, in my opinion, no one needed to think about these kind of things due to the pretty generous nature of AA's change rules and associated CX award availability.
Ok-- so just to make sure I understand re: close-in booking then cancel but NOT redeposit placeholder:

1) Theoretically, it should work as long as the miles are not redeposited and we use the ticket number and have it exchanged for a new PNR in the future, but not 100% sure this will work (therefore this should be last resort as iadisgreat says)

2) The only 100% sure "placeholder" is a booked award and changing the date/routing keeping the O/D the same. Changes to origin country, and dropping segments etc, we are not 100% sure what will happen (but likely will not be allowed without reprice).
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
For long-term monitoring, my experience has been that it doesn't matter too much. I have seen CX awards released at different times. I'd just check at a time that is convenient for you to take action on, such as the morning of your own continent.
If it is only CX you are monitoring for, the time varies (I have had success at 11 am EST and also at 3 pm EST - both times having called several other times on the same day and being told the calendar wasn't open yet). For JL, the awards load at t-330 10 am JST, I'm sure other carriers have different times as well.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by transparent
Ok-- so just to make sure I understand re: close-in booking then cancel but NOT redeposit placeholder:

1) Theoretically, it should work as long as the miles are not redeposited and we use the ticket number and have it exchanged for a new PNR in the future, but not 100% sure this will work (therefore this should be last resort as iadisgreat says)
The PNR stays the same, the actual itinerary changes to what you choose.

2) The only 100% sure "placeholder" is a booked award and changing the date/routing keeping the O/D the same. Changes to origin country, and dropping segments etc.
According to Gary, who spoke with AA spokesperson, they seem to confirm that dropping segments (as long as within same region of destination) will be permitted, though READ THE BLOG FOR YOURSELF TO DETERMINE YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING OF THE RULES. http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....6/02/01/44680/
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

Three years ago I had booked 2F awards for August travel in February (yes, 2 at the same time!). Unfortunately, because of family illness we had to cancel the trip. I remember the agent telling me that I can reuse the ticket till the following February and not to redeposit the miles because I'd be paying the $175 in redeposit fees. She said you can just reuse this ticket before Feb (1 year ticket expiration). I already knew that we won't be able to go, so just asked her to redeposit the miles. So 'theoretically' it's possible, but I didn't actually go through with it.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by AspiringWorldTraveler
If it is only CX you are monitoring for, the time varies (I have had success at 11 am EST and also at 3 pm EST - both times having called several other times on the same day and being told the calendar wasn't open yet). For JL, the awards load at t-330 10 am JST, I'm sure other carriers have different times as well.
Thanks guys.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just made my first ever combined CX/AA award booking and was charged $92.50/person for taxes and fees, is this right?

1 way booking from ATL->CLT->JFK->HKG->PVG.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Just made my first ever combined CX/AA award booking and was charged $92.50/person for taxes and fees, is this right?

1 way booking from ATL->CLT->JFK->HKG->PVG.
Call and see if they charged you for the phone booking? Which they should refund

Last edited by sempervivum; Mar 15, 2016 at 6:14 pm Reason: update
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:47 pm

I had similar fees for DUS-HKG and also HKG-JFK recently too.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:01 pm

Same. I had similar fees for SIN > HKG>ORD>CLT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.