Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
AAdvantage spokesperson "officially" confirmed that to a blogger several weeks ago.

It is fairly clear from the AA person on what can be changed without reprice and what will trigger reprice. She SPECIFICALLY said Date change would not trigger reprice. AA system may not handle it properly, but AA would have to keep that promise.
Happy, you have a lot more faith in what spokespersons say than I do. If this is true why hasn't AA put it in writing somewhere on their web site? Because this situation has never happened before, with ticket changes made after a devaluation, no one has yet to try and report the definitive results.

I am counting on this being true and being able to switch the dates of my vacation trip to Vietnam from January to March.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by metoo
Yes, it was 1/71/16. It was available for about a day.

i am hoping for someone to release just one tiny tiny BIZ seat for CMB to HKG on 1//8/16
You should be able to upgrade (for free) to J on CMB-HKG sector 10 to 14 days before your flight. CX has historically opened availability close in.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Honestly, CX F isn't really such a strong product anymore when you take into account CX's superb J. Even smaller competitors like Garuda have a vastly superior F product.
Understood, but this would also work for other F products, so I'm just curious if I can lock in the rates.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
Happy, you have a lot more faith in what spokespersons say than I do. If this is true why hasn't AA put it in writing somewhere on their web site? Because this situation has never happened before, with ticket changes made after a devaluation, no one has yet to try and report the definitive results.

I am counting on this being true and being able to switch the dates of my vacation trip to Vietnam from January to March.
Susie,

Over these many years of booking AA awards, you still NOT realize that AA hardly publishes ANYTHING related to various rules?

Luckily we have JonNYC and his super reliable source on the rules that only show up in AA internal system but NEVER on AA website. And we have all been going by those UNPUBLISHED rules, for how ever long they were revealed.

There are many of such rules have NEVER been put on AA site for goodness sake, such as the one you have used countless times, switching between different carriers like JL and CX, or upfare from J to F without paying $150 - do you ever see these rules being published on AA website?

Yet, you have been using those rules for just how many times, successfully? These rules are never published on AA site. Would you ever not be able to use those rules to your benefits?

Sometimes you just need to stop worrying and have some faith on the common wisdom of this forum.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 10, 2016 at 6:35 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:27 pm

I want to snag a HKG-LAX F class before the deval, I am planning on traveling in the second half of the year. Any way I can put a placeholder?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by rinipiyan
I want to snag a HKG-LAX F class before the deval, I am planning on traveling in the second half of the year. Any way I can put a placeholder?
Yes
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by greg0ire
Yes
Could you enlighten on how I could do that? I don't see any availability in F class at all after March
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:06 pm

Could you enlighten on how I could do that? I don't see any availability in F class at all after March
You can continue to look before the deval for CX or find an F ticket on JL for now or you can buy an F on AA metal and switch. This last option is riskier because there may or may not be an issue with changing from AA to OW partner. I personally have had agents tell me it's okay, but haven't followed through yet.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by greg0ire
You can continue to look before the deval for CX or find an F ticket on JL for now or you can buy an F on AA metal and switch. This last option is riskier because there may or may not be an issue with changing from AA to OW partner. I personally have had agents tell me it's okay, but haven't followed through yet.
I thought if you change the airport it will cause a reprice? doesn't JL require HKG-NRT-LAX instead of HKG-LAX direct?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:23 pm

I thought if you change the airport it will cause a reprice? doesn't JL require HKG-NRT-LAX instead of HKG-LAX direct?
as long as the origination and destination remain the same and it's a valid route (which this is) then it's kosher.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: pleb
This has been a main topic of discussion for the past....20 pages??
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by nightkhan
This has been a main topic of discussion for the past....20 pages??
Yup, there's no easy way to get a placeholder, you just have to be lucky our look through like every date.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Right now I have the following routing for next week for two of us:

DPS - HKG (KA J) - HND (CX F) // NRT - ORD (JL F) - CLT - RDU (AA F)

Ideally I'd like to cut out the HKG - HND//NRT - ORD portion but right now I can only find 1 F on the day that we need for HKG - USA.

Is there any way (without incurring a fee) to snag that 1 F seat now (and keep the other itinerary intact for the other person) and then hope that CX releases another (there are 3 flights on the day in question that still show F4 so I'm hopeful)?

Or will they only make a fee-free change if I can swap the entire itinerary (aka both of us) onto the CX F direct (e.g., if CX releases 2F on any of these flights between now and departure next week)?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Right now I have the following routing for next week for two of us:

DPS - HKG (KA J) - HND (CX F) // NRT - ORD (JL F) - CLT - RDU (AA F)

Ideally I'd like to cut out the HKG - HND//NRT - ORD portion but right now I can only find 1 F on the day that we need for HKG - USA.

Is there any way (without incurring a fee) to snag that 1 F seat now (and keep the other itinerary intact for the other person) and then hope that CX releases another (there are 3 flights on the day in question that still show F4 so I'm hopeful)?

Or will they only make a fee-free change if I can swap the entire itinerary (aka both of us) onto the CX F direct (e.g., if CX releases 2F on any of these flights between now and departure next week)?
You should be able to split the PNR for you and your travel companion and then only upgrade one of them.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Agent needs to split your PNR into 2 PNRs before changing one person's itinerary. I would call NOW to grab that 1F. Then keep monitoring the other F to show up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.