Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I'm trying to book 2 F (willing to do J) rt LAX-HKG May 22-25 or 21 red eye. When does F availability show up again? I've seen it open up around 3 weeks in advance and a couple days in advance. I'm checking everyday for seats to open up. Is LAX or SFO easier to find availability from? I've been using BA and JAL.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hiima
I'm trying to book 2 F (willing to do J) rt LAX-HKG May 22-25 or 21 red eye. When does F availability show up again? I've seen it open up around 3 weeks in advance and a couple days in advance. I'm checking everyday for seats to open up. Is LAX or SFO easier to find availability from? I've been using BA and JAL.
LAX at least that was how it was back in checking the April last minute release. SFO hopeless, LAX had sporadic openings though on some days it was only F1 but on 2 flights a few hours apart.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: free agent
start to watch march 20 or 21, 2016 flights from HKG-JFK or ORD (i live in DC) but i am playing around 330-331 day out (march 11-12), and see no F options on BA.. am little nervous by lack of F on BA.com.. anyone notice similar issues?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:46 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Originally Posted by Happy
LAX at least that was how it was back in checking the April last minute release. SFO hopeless, LAX had sporadic openings though on some days it was only F1 but on 2 flights a few hours apart.
I question the accuracy of ba.com and think it's worth investing in awardnexus or calling AA. For example, on 4/28 BA shows 2 J seats on 885 & 883 ex LAX. However, if you search ex-SFO it shows 7 J seats on 885 & 883 SFO - LAX - HKG. When a married segment produces such a drastic difference in availability something is certainly not right...

Overall close-in availability seems drastically lower than last year, but this could be a function of people understanding the game and snapping up CX seats vs. reduced availability (and of course more revenue pax).

Ex-SFO is surprisingly about as good as ex-LAX with even 2 F seats available one day.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:44 pm

After reading this forum, I used award nexus to find an F ticket on CX from HKG->SFO for next week. Last week there were no biz class or first class seats available. I haven't tried KVS (don't have a windows machine), but I've been using expertflyer just to check for seat availability 2 years.

I also used award nexus to figure out where to fly this weekend. It has been a nice time saver.

Looking forward to that first class seat for the first time and being forever ruined.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
How reliable is awardnexus? If I want BOS-HKG, will it also look for routing through JFK and ORD? Or does that have to be searched separately?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
How reliable is awardnexus? If I want BOS-HKG, will it also look for routing through JFK and ORD? Or does that have to be searched separately?
It's entirely accurate, because it essentially scrapes whatever search engine you select (such as BA or JL). But you should manually build connections as domestic and international segments may not be available simultaneously. For example, I always book AA domestic segments to each of CX's gateways as soon as AA releases. I then marry these to CX segments as they become available, and subsequently cancel the domestic segments I don't need.

I run AN starting 330 days out. In December, for example, I snagged a CX F segment for this summer, that's well inside the usual 330/14 day goalposts that most segments seem to be released.

Good luck.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
I was able to snag last night a F/J mixed redemption on CX/JAL (get to try CX F and JAL 787 J) using the BA search tool, just wish BA's site was not complete trash.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
I was able to snag last night a F/J mixed redemption on CX/JAL (get to try CX F and JAL 787 J) using the BA search tool, just wish BA's site was not complete trash.
Think of it this way: if it were easy, there would be fewer spots for those of us willing to "work" for the available spots!

What is the cutoff time for cancelling CX reservation? Same day works without problems?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by starbuk
Think of it this way: if it were easy, there would be fewer spots for those of us willing to "work" for the available spots!

What is the cutoff time for cancelling CX reservation? Same day works without problems?
I was told 4 hrs by an AA agent last August. And that's before your first segment ie if you have DPSHKGJFK with a 20 hr layover in HKG you have to snag the F seat 4 hrs before DPSHKG departs. I missed an upgrade this way, hence I now break the segments into two awards (requiring more miles).
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold

I had put the ticket on hold while gathering the rest of my itinerary - it was on hold from last night thru the 21st. Beyond that I belive it would be the 24 hours.

Now just hoping my LHR>HKG frees up a FC seat on the A380, and/or JAL flies a FC aircraft between KIX>LAX.

Trip right now: PDX>DFW to LHR BA 77W F > LHR to HKG BA A380 F > HKG to KIX CX F 77W > KIX to LAX JAL J 787 > PDX

Edit: I scored the upgrade less than 24 hours after ticketing

Last edited by IWontRegretThis; Apr 17, 2015 at 9:32 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I was told 4 hrs by an AA agent last August.
The Cathay 4-hour thing is no longer in effect.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
The Cathay 4-hour thing is no longer in effect.
Good to know. So they can ticket mmediately if need be? Note, this is for ticketing, not canceling. Canceling is any time before departure.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Good to know. So they can ticket mmediately if need be? Note, this is for ticketing, not canceling. Canceling is any time before departure.
Correct on both counts-- I mean I can't say "immediately" per se, it's "up to one hour before." But any less than that would require quite a bit of guts on any carrier!

BTW, I can't say for 100% sure that the bolded (in the reference material) 4-hour CX rules -doesn't- still appear in AAgent reference materials, so they may still quote it in some cases.

Last edited by JonNYC; Apr 17, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You don't need to cancel - after departure will be a no show and can be rebooked or mileage reinstated for appropriate fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.