Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
Barclaycard AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver World Elite MasterCard® Companion Certificate
Earn a companion certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each, issued annually after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply).

FAQ: AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Companion Certificate

Link to Barclaycard Aviator Silver Terms and Conditions.

American Airlines Companion Certificate

You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate (the "Companion Certificate") redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each (plus taxes and fees) provided that: (1) $30,000 or more in eligible Net Purchases are made with your Account during the card membership year (each 12 month period through and including the account anniversary month) and (2) your Account remains open for at least 45 days after the anniversary date. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate. When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory. The Companion Certificate will be valid one year from issue and is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Details, terms and conditions, certain restrictions, and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed on the Companion Certificate.
Link to aa.com Barclays Aviator Silver information.

How do I earn a companion certificate?
You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees, when you spend $30,000 or more on eligible purchases on your AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard® during your cardmembership year (each 12-month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary.

Are there restrictions on the use of the companion certificate?
When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory.

How long is my companion certificate valid?
The companion certificate will be valid one year from issue.

On which airlines can I use the companion certificate?
The companion certificate is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

When will I receive my companion certificate?
Once you have met the purchase requirement and your account has been open at least 45 days after your anniversary, you can expect to receive your companion certificate in 8-12 weeks.

FULL T&Cs:
This certificate entitles the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® cardmember named above to pay $99 for the ticketing fee, plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees based on itinerary, for each round trip qualifying economy fare ticket for up to two companions when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®. Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and charges in association with companion travel.

This certificate must be surrendered when the ticket is purchased. Redemption is limited to one certificate per passenger. This certificate is nontransferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate. If the certificate is tendered in connection with a wholly unused ticket, any applicable penalties shall apply. The current fare and all applicable rules shall apply to the new ticket. The certificate must be redeemed and all travel completed by midnight of the Travel Expiration Date printed on the front of this certificate.

This certificate may not be combined with any other specials or promotional fare offer, discount, certificate, coupon, Senior Citizen discount or AAdvantage® award for the purchase of a ticket. When available, short-term promotional fares may provide a lower cost for your trip than the use of this certificate.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Reservations are subject to availability at the time reservations are made. Reservations may be made and this certificate redeemed at any American Airlines or American Eagle® ticketing location or by calling American Airlines Meeting Services.

A ticket purchased with this certificate must conform to the advance purchase rules of the applicable fare used or be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, whichever is the most restrictive. All terms and conditions applicable to the excursion fare ticket purchased apply to both the fare paid ticket and the companion ticket. Both tickets must be issued for the same flights and dates by the same location at the same time. If purchased tickets are wholly or partially refunded, the certificate will not be replaced and no refund will apply to the companion ticket.

This certificate is valid for travel as referenced on the front of this certificate to destinations served by American Airlines, American Eagle® and the AmericanConnection® carrier, both at the time of certificate redemption and ticket usage. The individual using the companion ticket will not earn AAdvantage® miles on these flight segments. Certificate not valid on flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by other airlines under a codeshare agreement.

Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts shown are in USD. Fares do not include (a) a federal excise tax of up to $3.50 per U.S. domestic flight segment of a passenger's itinerary, a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing, (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport Passenger Facility Charges, and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. Taxes are subject to change. Redemption of the certificate applies only to bookings made by phone through American Airlines Meeting Services or through airport or city ticket offices.

This certificate is not redeemable for cash and has no value except when redeemed in accordance with these terms and conditions. Lost, stolen, destroyed or expired certificates will not be replaced. This certificate is void if sold for cash or other considerations. It is also void if altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law.

These terms and conditions cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of American Airlines, Inc., Barclaycard, and Barclays Bank Delaware.

For residents of Hawaii only, valid for round trip travel originating in Hawaii and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

For residents of Alaska only, valid for round trip travel originating in Alaska and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

RESERVATIONS/TICKETING/REPORTING INFORMATION

Reservations must be booked in L, M, N, Q, S, V, G or O inventory.

2019 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 15-19; Mar 8-11, 15-18, 22-25; May 24-28; Jun 28-30; Jul 1-7; Nov 27-30; Dec 1-2, 14-23, 27-31

2020 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 14-18; Mar 6-9, 13-16, 20-23; May 22-26; Jun 30; Jul 1-6; Nov 25-30; Dec 12-23, 27-31

Both the fare-paying passenger and the companion(s) must be booked in the same booking code on the same itinerary.

Certificate must be attached to auditors coupon and is valid only for using American Airlines ticket validation (001).
Updated 27 Jan 2016 - taxicabnumber
Updated 04 Jan 2017 - aschuett (Added 2017 embargo dates per moonwoo)
Updated 06 Jun 2019 - thorofare (deleted prior year embargo dates; added 2019-20 embargo dates)
Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
"as March 21 when the certificate popped up on the website? As you can tell, I am perplexed that all the stuff telling me how and when I would be eligible disappeared when the counter reset at anniversary time.

As for the charges in your case ... you must have called in, right? At aa.com, do the tickets show as still pending (still being ticketed)? If so, I'd call in to see what is going on"

I was checking the website about every day so it could not posted much earlier than March 21.

I called AA about the charge and I was not yet charged for my ticket and the companions. The charge was a flight for my wife that I forgot about.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by pkr529
My anniversary is in January. I printed out the certificate from the website on March 21 and received the certificate in the mail about 10 days later.
Where on the site do you see the certificate to print?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:58 pm

Log in to your credit card account. Go to "Rewards & Benefits" bar and click it. Scroll down to "Rewards activity" and click on that. You will have a bar for "Previous Anniversary Periods." If you have earned the certificate, you will see "Congratulations" in that bar. Below the bar will be the benefit details and an icon for "Print your Companion Certificate." Click "Print your Companion Certificate" and you will be able to print out the certificate.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by pkr529
Log in to your credit card account. Go to "Rewards & Benefits" bar and click it. Scroll down to "Rewards activity" and click on that. You will have a bar for "Previous Anniversary Periods." If you have earned the certificate, you will see "Congratulations" in that bar. Below the bar will be the benefit details and an icon for "Print your Companion Certificate." Click "Print your Companion Certificate" and you will be able to print out the certificate.
Hmm...I don't see a bar for "Previous Anniversary Periods". I know I just passed 45 days since my annual fee came due, so maybe I still have to wait more time before this becomes active on my account.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
My problem, too. The next couple of days should make 45 (1 March start of new period). But all recognition of qualification between 1 March 2015 and 29 February 2016 disappeared some time around 29 February 2016.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:40 am

AAdvantage Aviator Companion Certificate - Best Use?

Just got sent an AAdvantage Aviator Companion Certificate (good for 2ppl on same itinerary @ $99 each). What's the best use of this? Does it apply to only Y fares or also J and F. It looks like it is for domestic r/t ticket on non peak / holiday days (extensive list of blackouts). Also it says companions cannot be upgraded. But as the main reservation holder could I be upgraded if I book in Y?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:07 am
Original Poster

For starters, remember that the first person needs to pay the current full price of the ticket. You can then take 2 people as companions at $99 each + taxes/fees.

This only applies to economy fares. It cannot be used for business or first class.

There have been reports on here that 500-mile upgrades can be processed for elites. However, I haven't seen any reports of upgrades being allowed if you tried to upgrading using miles.

As for good uses, for me, it is for trips where the rates usually run pretty high. So, for example, out of PHL, I would never use it to do PHL-MCO. Those tickets are usually around $200 round trip and it would be a waste to use this for it. However, there are some places, especially out west, that usually run at about $600-$700/ticket. One place I'm considering for this year is Jackson, WY, because it is usually an expensive ticket, so the certificate saves me a bunch of money.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:04 am

We booked my wife's companion certificate and the representative made an unsolicited comment that all the persons travelling would earn miles. Not sure if that comment reflects a change in the written policy.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Anyone know when these things are mailed out? I my anniversary period ended in April of this year and I easily passed the minimum requirement. I also got my annual fee posted and paid. No cert yet.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:59 am

To see your certificate info log in to your Aviator Silver card account on www.barclaycardus.com My webpage has a small blue "Rewards details" hyperlink next to the "EARN MILES Earn 5,000..." section at about the middle of the page. Click on that, then click on the arrow > to the right of "View my Rewards activity". All your earned benefits are on this page including a video link on how to redeem your certificate (if you have earned one)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Anyone know when these things are mailed out? I my anniversary period ended in April of this year and I easily passed the minimum requirement. I also got my annual fee posted and paid. No cert yet.
Yeah, I was having this trouble, too:

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
My problem, too. The next couple of days should make 45 (1 March start of new period). But all recognition of qualification between 1 March 2015 and 29 February 2016 disappeared some time around 29 February 2016.
And this si certainly what happens after Barclays issues your cert:

Originally Posted by mkole
To see your certificate info log in to your Aviator Silver card account on www.barclaycardus.com My webpage has a small blue "Rewards details" hyperlink next to the "EARN MILES Earn 5,000..." section at about the middle of the page. Click on that, then click on the arrow > to the right of "View my Rewards activity". All your earned benefits are on this page including a video link on how to redeem your certificate (if you have earned one)
The problem -- at least in my case, and perhaps yours as well, if mkole's links are not now visible on your webpage -- is that there seems to be a "deadzone," in which the progress to cert is not visible. I would say about a week after I issued my plaint (quoted above), all the info (re)appeared on the site. So you might check my timing against your current situation.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Open jaw with companion certificate?

Does anyone know if the Aviator Silver certificate works with an open jaw trip?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by olddallas
Does anyone know if the Aviator Silver certificate works with an open jaw trip?
Almost certainly does not.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA
Gold and Platinums can request for an upgrade. However, you have to book the ticket first, then separate the reservation from the companions in order to do that. They will not be able to receive your benefits such as free checked bags, priority boarding if you decide to separate the reservation.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:31 am

I split my reservation from the two companion tickets and then tried to use miles plus co-pay to upgrade. The AA agent checked on whether I could do so and told me I could not. I am eligible for the 500 mile upgrades though. I am wondering if anyone has had success using miles plus co-pay. This could always be done on US Airways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.