Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I don’t normally post in this thread, but here’s a new one. FA brought around water and OJ and when I asked for something else was told not unless I had french fries or M&Ms for her. And she seemed serious. Between that and her aggressively moving bags around without asking pax, tossing jackets from the bins into their owners’ laps, etc. I am not optimistic about my experience for the next 3 hours.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ikwia
I don’t normally post in this thread, but here’s a new one. FA brought around water and OJ and when I asked for something else was told not unless I had french fries or M&Ms for her. And she seemed serious. Between that and her aggressively moving bags around without asking pax, tossing jackets from the bins into their owners’ laps, etc. I am not optimistic about my experience for the next 3 hours.
As a CK I hope you report her to whoever your CK/AA liason is (if there is one, or CK desk or something).
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
11/28

1765 ORD-PHX: Water/OJ tray
5768 PHX-STS: Full bar

11/30
5768 STS-PHX: Nothing. Didn't even take coats. But great in-flight service. This was my EXP flight.
891 PHX-ORD: Full bar, friendly welcome, excellent crew.

Last edited by GrumpyYoungMan; Nov 30, 2018 at 4:19 pm Reason: Added new info
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
03 Nov EWR-PHX 738. No PDB, and not only that but no beverage orders taken until food orders taken > 30 minutes in the air, no beverages of any kind delivered until the warm nuts were ready > 45 minutes in the air. It's the first time I've seen the entire Y cabin get beverages before anyone in the F cabin. I considered pressing the call button but my interest in seeing how long it was going to take outweighed my light thirst.

The funny thing is, after the long wait for the first round (at which point we had been physically on the plane for over 90 minutes), the next 4+ hours was great service-- the FA was constantly in the aisle with wine bottles topping up all the glasses. But it was a bizarre experience.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-PHL full PDB and snack basket on the ground followed by there will be no service in-flight (despite a clear and non windy day in NYC).

Empty seats in FC too

PHL-TPA full PDB
DBML pre-order acknowledged personally while boarding was taking place. I feel bad for the woman sitting next to me who pre-ordered the cheeseburger lol.

I know AA is trying to be eco friendly with straws but what’s up with no straw at all? Aren’t there supposed to be bamboo straws or something?

Last edited by AANYC1981; Dec 1, 2018 at 8:37 am
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I know AA is trying to be eco friendly with straws but what’s up with no straw at all? Aren’t there supposed to be bamboo straws or something?
I've been seeing bamboo stir sticks (not straws).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:06 am
Suspended

LGA-ORD LAA 738 with seatback AVOD
Full PDB even though catering showed up during group 2 boarding.

Coats proactively hung.

Group 2 was boarding before the scheduled boarding time FWIW.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Dec 3, 2018 at 1:50 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum Premier
5523 SDF-CLT: Full PDB
1645 CLT-PVD: No PDB, No coats taken
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
11/29 0640 - Full PDB
11/30 1022 - Full PDB
11/30 4433 - No PDB - something was going on with another passenger on the plane, not sure what, and I think that impacted the PDB as the FA was dealing with whatever that issue was. Once up in the air, she was wonderful and very attentive.
12/4 0893 - Full PDB
12/4 0778 - Full PDB

Last edited by RaindropT; Dec 5, 2018 at 7:20 am Reason: reasons
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
12/4 AA 4525 ATL-DCA EMB-175: No PDB. Pretty surprising because usually Republic f/as provide good service.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:00 pm

12/5 2970 DFW-FWA Brought around a tray with water, but offered to bring anything else if water wasn't what you were looking for, 8 of 9 seats filled. Very good service though flight, made another pax iced tea, glasses never ran empty, and she helped out in the back (RJ). If only that level still existed on the mainline like I've experienced on the regionals. There are few standouts in the last year, but the quality of the crew seems better on the regional, even though the equipment isn't.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
AA2387
BOS->ORD
B738

Full bar PDB, which was a pleasant surprise. Noticed this flight completely cleared the UG list which begs the question why as an EXP am I still paying for F on gAArbAAge new configurations 737s? You won this round, Douggie...
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0

The funny thing is, after the long wait for the first round (at which point we had been physically on the plane for over 90 minutes), the next 4+ hours was great service-- the FA was constantly in the aisle with wine bottles topping up all the glasses. But it was a bizarre experience.
Possibility catering came late and that FA was dealing with cleaning up the mess they provided them. I've known it take a good 30 minutes to de-cluster the mess that catering gives the FAs. There's practically zero accountability when catering screws up.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:12 am

12/08 - LAA - After long delay Full PDB - good service in the air. (FWIW - Until we were fully loaded and snagged another delay, it looked like No PDB.)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:44 pm

I get PDB on most (80-90%) of my 120-140 flights each year. What is annoying is the run towards cheaper and cheaper choices. We used to get GlenLivet scotch in coach and first class. Now they only have 3 bottles on all domestic flights and only in first class. So, when I sit on row #4 , it is always gone, and I have to settle for the cheapest crap whiskey in the world -Dours (aka “advanced paint remover”) Charge me $5 bucks extra per ticket and stop the “race to the bottom”).. BTW: that also goes for that crazy snack basket with the wierdest food every seen).. so, good AA service, great attendants, but questionable/limited product in PBS.

Last edited by bberg009; Dec 9, 2018 at 2:46 pm Reason: Smiley face came out wrong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.