Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 8:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Red259
Hmm. The SQ rep told me this would not be an issue. Both ways I have at least a 2 hour connection time so hopefully that will be more than enough. Had the rep told me something else I would have built in a bit more time, since I haven't flown into LAX for years and don't really remember the layout.
Originally Posted by wrp96
On the return SQ may be willing to check through on the separate tickets (I don't know their policy), but AA definitely won't check through on separate tickets to SQ.
wrp96 is correct. See Change to through-checking Oct 2014 (interlining) baggage on separate tickets
Old May 20, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ugh. That is certainly going to make this a pain. Hopefully a two hour gap at LAX in arrival/departure time will be more than enough to retrieve my bag and recheck it.
Old May 21, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Thanks for the confirmation. Worked flawlessly with a different agent this morning and was put on the waitlist. BTW, does being on the WL reflect anywhere on the itinerary page online?
Not from the time you request it, though whenever I'm on the waitlist for a SWU, around 24-48 hours before departure the upgrades section of the itinerary page will display "Systemwide Upgrade - Requested." I assume something similar shows up for miles/copay, but have never tested it myself.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Ugh. That is certainly going to make this a pain. Hopefully a two hour gap at LAX in arrival/departure time will be more than enough to retrieve my bag and recheck it.
I think two hours is probably doable if everything is on-time and since you have GE. On the return, you have to reclaim and recheck luggage anyways, so the benefits of through-checking is minimized. On the outbound, it might be somewhat of a pain, but the morning JFK flights often arrive early (barring any mechanical delays), and with the connector open, you have the option of reclearing security in T4 instead of TBIT (not sure if you get pre-check with SQ).
Old May 21, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I think two hours is probably doable if everything is on-time and since you have GE. On the return, you have to reclaim and recheck luggage anyways, so the benefits of through-checking is minimized. On the outbound, it might be somewhat of a pain, but the morning JFK flights often arrive early (barring any mechanical delays), and with the connector open, you have the option of reclearing security in T4 instead of TBIT (not sure if you get pre-check with SQ).
My understanding is that SQ will check through to AA. Is there some sort of rule you need to claim baggage when going through customs to switch to domestic? I rarely enter the US at an airport other than my final destination, so I never really had to deal with this issue before.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Yes, you clear US immigration and customs at your first port of entry so will need to collect your bags to do this.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:51 am

My understanding is that SQ will check through to AA. Is there some sort of rule you need to claim baggage when going through customs to switch to domestic? I rarely enter the US at an airport other than my final destination, so I never really had to deal with this issue before.
Unless you enter the US to connect with another international flight at DFW or MIA and have an ITI tag, you must process immigration, collect your baggage, process customs with your baggage and re-check it at the baggage check facility just outside of customs. You will normally ne landside at this point and need to have your continuing boarding pass to process security to return airside for your connecting gate.

If LAX, you'll be landside at the TBIT, have to walk to your right to Terminal 4 (if AA) and process security there.

With long formalities and security queues, I'd recommend three hours as safe to connect at LAX (having Global Entry and PreCheck reduces this).

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html for instructions, links and maps (in the wikipost at the top of the page).

Last edited by JDiver; May 21, 2016 at 10:57 am
Old May 21, 2016, 11:34 am

Unless you enter the US to connect with another international flight at DFW or MIA and have an ITI tag, you must process immigration, collect your baggage, process customs with your baggage and re-check it at the baggage check facility just outside of customs. You will normally ne landside at this point and need to have your continuing boarding pass to process security to return airside for your connecting gate.

If LAX, you'll be landside at the TBIT, have to walk to your right to Terminal 4 (if AA) and process security there.

With long formalities and security queues, I'd recommend three hours as safe to connect at LAX (having Global Entry and PreCheck reduces this).

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html for instructions, links and maps (in the wikipost at the top of the page).
I have two hours. The ticket is already booked. I'm landing 1:35 on a sat afternoon so maybe the lines won't be as bad at that time? My fight out is at 3:30. Flying in on first class should help me get off the plane a bit quicker. I don't know if SQ does what CX does with first class which is flag your baggage to be unloaded first. I also have GE and PreCheck, so hopefully the combination will speed things up. If god forbid I can't make the AA connection due to security or flight delays do I have any recourse or do I need to pay out of pocket for a new ticket?

I have to reclear security at LAX? I had read they opened the tunnel between T4 and TBIT earlier this year and I thought that was supposed to limit the having to clear security a second time?

Last edited by Red259; May 21, 2016 at 11:54 am
Old May 21, 2016, 12:51 pm

I have two hours. The ticket is already booked. I'm landing 1:35 on a sat afternoon so maybe the lines won't be as bad at that time? My fight out is at 3:30. Flying in on first class should help me get off the plane a bit quicker. I don't know if SQ does what CX does with first class which is flag your baggage to be unloaded first. I also have GE and PreCheck, so hopefully the combination will speed things up. If god forbid I can't make the AA connection due to security or flight delays do I have any recourse or do I need to pay out of pocket for a new ticket?

I have to reclear security at LAX? I had read they opened the tunnel between T4 and TBIT earlier this year and I thought that was supposed to limit the having to clear security a second time?
GE particularly, and PreCheck, will make it all faster.

Yes, there is an airside connector, but when you leave US CBP formalities at customs you will be landside and will have to process security again. You'd be able to use the connector only if you were already airside.

If you're on one ticket, AA will put you on the next available flight. With separate tickets you will have to ask AA for assistance. (If it was CX or other oneworld airline, AA would guarantee your onward flight.)
Old May 21, 2016, 3:39 pm

GE particularly, and PreCheck, will make it all faster.

Yes, there is an airside connector, but when you leave US CBP formalities at customs you will be landside and will have to process security again. You'd be able to use the connector only if you were already airside.

If you're on one ticket, AA will put you on the next available flight. With separate tickets you will have to ask AA for assistance. (If it was CX or other oneworld airline, AA would guarantee your onward flight.)
Sadly its SQ so not oneworld. I booked my AA flight through citibank travel portal using ty points and so I think the airfare is not refundable. They don't give you any options really they just quote you economy, business or first then you pick the flight. I could have taken a different flight an hour and a half later and I am regretting this booking now. My outgoing flight gives me three hours at LAX to make the connection, so that should be enough time assuming no problems with the flight in.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:51 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
I have a full AA award itinerary booked on JL and CX. I want to remove the JL legs (basically I'm delaying my departure from the US, so I need to remove 1 of 3 legs). Can I do this without redepositing the entire itinerary and possibly losing all the flights? What will it cost?

For clarity, my legs are ORD-ICN, CDG-HKG and HKG-LAX. I want to remove just the ORD-ICN leg.

Appreciate the help.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aviator88
I have a full AA award itinerary booked on JL and CX. I want to remove the JL legs (basically I'm delaying my departure from the US, so I need to remove 1 of 3 legs). Can I do this without redepositing the entire itinerary and possibly losing all the flights? What will it cost?

For clarity, my legs are ORD-ICN, CDG-HKG and HKG-LAX. I want to remove just the ORD-ICN leg.

Appreciate the help.
Was this a typo above? If so, and if what ya meant was: ORD-ICN, ICN-HKG, no, can't remove ORD-ICN w/o starting over again.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Aviator88

Appreciate the help.
You can change the date of your ORD-NRT-ICN flights without paying a fee and without affecting the other segments in your itinerary. You can push out those flights up to a year from the date you originally ticketed the award.

Canceling the ORD-ICN in theory should be possible since it appears to be a separate award, but since all of your awards are in one record, it may cause some issues. I think a date change is a safer bet if you plan on using it at a later date.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Last date to use travel funds and extend ticket life

I have an upcoming ticket (AA choice, fully changeable with no penalty) worth $200 on AA booked using a VDB voucher, travel for May-25-2016.

I booked the ticket on July-20-2015.

I called reservations and asked to change the ticket to another 11 months out, like Apr-2017, but was told can't do, since I booked the ticket using a voucher, that after July-20-2016, the ticket would not have any value, so I will need to complete travel by July-20-2016.

I found a fully changeable ticket worth $180 for July-20-2016, which I was told if I book, I'll get back $20 in voucher.

If I have no near term travel needs, wondering if I should just buy a cheap ticket, say $70 worth if I can find one, and get the voucher extended by a year.

Question - will the new voucher be valid for another year, through 2017? And can it only be used for my travel?

Also was the agent correct?

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by raj_cl
I have an upcoming ticket (AA choice, fully changeable with no penalty) worth $200 on AA booked using a VDB voucher, travel for May-25-2016.

I booked the ticket on July-20-2015.

I called reservations and asked to change the ticket to another 11 months out, like Apr-2017, but was told can't do, since I booked the ticket using a voucher, that after July-20-2016, the ticket would not have any value, so I will need to complete travel by July-20-2016.

I found a fully changeable ticket worth $180 for July-20-2016, which I was told if I book, I'll get back $20 in voucher.

If I have no near term travel needs, wondering if I should just buy a cheap ticket, say $70 worth if I can find one, and get the voucher extended by a year.

Question - will the new voucher be valid for another year, through 2017? And can it only be used for my travel?
All tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issue, so they were correct in that you cannot keep extending the date out of the same ticket past 1 year.

But you can definitely change to a cheap flight before it expires and get the remainder in another voucher, which will be good for another year.

Right now there are a number of dates in June where MIA-TPA is $39 one way. Switch your current flight to that and AA will issue you a new voucher for $161 good for another year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.