Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 10:49 am
HGH

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
1) Highly unlikely they would cancel the flight due to a crew timeout. This is generally a non-issue at hub airports where there are plenty of spare crew around.

2) As soon as the delay is such that you'll miss your connecting flight you should get rebooked by AA. On a delayed JFK-LHR flight last year it was within about 15 mins of the delay posting that I had an automated call from AA notifying me they had rebooked my connection. If you're still on the ground at CLT then give AA a call or see an AAgent at the gate, lounge, etc. If you're already airborne then there's usually AAgents that will meet delayed flights on arrival to hand out new boarding passes or otherwise provide direction.
We took off from CTL about 4 hours late, but we did take off. Thanks to you, jdiver, and everyone who contributed to the Heathrow T3-T5 transfer thread, we made it to our final destination with little stress and just five hours late. Very little impact on our vacation. A huge thank you from our whole traveling group.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HGH
We took off from CTL about 4 hours late, but we did take off. Thanks to you, jdiver, and everyone who contributed to the Heathrow T3-T5 transfer thread, we made it to our final destination with little stress and just five hours late. Very little impact on our vacation. A huge thank you from our whole traveling group.
I'm glad to hear you mad it OK, and that some of our resources made it easier. Thanks for posting the denouement and feedback.
Old May 15, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
If I use 500 mile upgrades will I earn 2x EQM due to business/first earn rate or still earn1 eqm for initial booking in economy.
Old May 15, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tennislover9
If I use 500 mile upgrades will I earn 2x EQM due to business/first earn rate or still earn1 eqm for initial booking in economy.
You'll earn 1 EQM per mile flown. Mileage earning is always based on the purchased fare class.
Old May 15, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec Continental, AAdvantage, Virgin,
Etihad flights for AA miles

Im finding it a little difficult getting a definitive answer from with AA.com or ethiad.com

Next month I am flying lhr to Sydney business class on Etihad... Will I get miles for the flights and elite mileage?

A few months ago I got burned by the same trip but I booked the virgin Australia code share operated by ethiad....neither virgin Atlantic nor AA would give me miles and ethiad only retrospectively will credit for 3 months so I lost c25k miles as well as valuable steps to status :-(
Old May 15, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mgkelly
Im finding it a little difficult getting a definitive answer from with AA.com or ethiad.com

Next month I am flying lhr to Sydney business class on Etihad... Will I get miles for the flights and elite mileage?
This page will help: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...nes/etihad.jsp

If you are booked on an AA codeshare you will earn as an AA flight including redeemable miles, elite bonus miles and elite qualifying miles.

If you are booked on the EY code you will earn as an EY flight. Details in the page above, but basically no elite bonus miles, no elite qualifying miles but you will get redeemable miles as per the chart on the page I linked to above plus any class of service bonus miles (if you're in one of the eligible cabins and fare classes).
Old May 15, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec Continental, AAdvantage, Virgin,
Originally Posted by k_getchell
Thanks for clarifying for me!

Last edited by mgkelly; May 15, 2016 at 3:43 pm Reason: typo
Old May 15, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Welcome to our 2016 Newbie Lounge thread!

Please see the wiki above for more information. Thanks!

/AA Mod Team

Is there a post on giving gifts to flight crew? Thank you.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jwcmmc
Is there a post on giving gifts to flight crew? Thank you.
The topic comes up from time to time in the forum; by searching the best I could find was a somewhat old TravelBuzz thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...you-board.html

To my knowledge, token gifts are fine within reason -- i.e., it's probably best to stick to relatively low-cost, consumable, non-alcoholic items (chocolates, candy, etc).
Old May 16, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
You will be able to check your baggage through with back to back AA tickets.
Yep, took all of 2 minutes at the airport. Both flights were AA metal, and they were even able to maintain one leg as crediting AS even though the first was bought with AA miles.
Old May 16, 2016, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Yep, took all of 2 minutes at the airport. Both flights were AA metal, and they were even able to maintain one leg as crediting AS even though the first was bought with AA miles.
Thanks for letting us know.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I posted on another thread but wasn't getting any answers so I deleted it and posting it here.
I booked a domestic flight on AS ticket stock and booking code, but operated by aa. It seems that as an EXP I am not allowed to waitlist for complimentary upgrades, because it wasn't an aa marketed flight. Any way to get on the upgrade list, even at the airport on the day of the flight? Any way to upgrade at all?
Old May 16, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by nk15
I posted on another thread but wasn't getting any answers so I deleted it and posting it here.
I booked a domestic flight on AS ticket stock and booking code, but operated by aa. It seems that as an EXP I am not allowed to waitlist for complimentary upgrades, because it wasn't an aa marketed flight. Any way to get on the upgrade list, even at the airport on the day of the flight? Any way to upgrade at all?
I had a similar issue just before the merger had completed. Flights were on AA metal, but as our corporate travel agency booked the tickets via US Airways, even though I could see my flights on the AA website, there was no option to request an upgrade for those flights. I called up customer service and it was explained to me that I was ineligible for upgrades as I was on a US Airways marketed flight.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: aa, HHonors, Enterprise Gold
Award Redemmed for First Class. One Segment Changed to Economy Due to Availablity

I applied AAMiles for a First Class award ticket (ORD-SAN-SJC) in June (unsure if flight date should be posted).
I am ticketed 'Z' for the ORD-SAN segment, but am economy 'W' on the SAN-SJC segment due to availability. Aircraft type is E175 I believe.
On the travel date in question other available SAN-SJC flights are either no seats available or first also sold out.
Do I have any options here and should I be credited any miles for the first class award?
Old May 16, 2016, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Technically, no, afaik. Though 001 AA ticketing is not a requirement), the flight must be marketed and operated by AA. Otoh, a few have reported upgrading upon checkin in or at the Club or Gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.