Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Actually, one final question - you mention recovering bags. I am checking a bag, but I was hoping it would be checked all the way through to London from SJC.

I won't need to collect my bag, will I? I know you have to for international arrivals before catching domestic connections, but previously all my domestic -> out-bound international connections have had the bag checked all the way through.
There's nothing special about Eagle's Nest terminal procedures that would require collection and re-check of my suitcase, is there?
Thanks!
Old May 19, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Assuming you're not on a full Y or B fare, you can upgrade from economy to business for 15k miles + $75. If there's no upgrade space available they can add you to the waitlist. Call AA to do all of the above.
Just to be sure, can I get on a waitlist for miles+co-pay for SFO-JFK without any AA elite status? I got off the phone and she said that I would need to be an elite. Could be a HUCA situation, but wanted to make sure.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Just to be sure, can I get on a waitlist for miles+co-pay for SFO-JFK without any AA elite status? I got off the phone and she said that I would need to be an elite. Could be a HUCA situation, but wanted to make sure.
Yes, HUCA. Non-elite members most definitely can upgrade with miles+copay.

And at the seemingly endless number of phone agents nowadays who don't know the rules but make up their own anyway. Perhaps we should start a drive to track/file complaints with AA whenever this happens, similar to the PDB thread.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by estate
Actually, one final question - you mention recovering bags. I am checking a bag, but I was hoping it would be checked all the way through to London from SJC.

I won't need to collect my bag, will I? I know you have to for international arrivals before catching domestic connections, but previously all my domestic -> out-bound international connections have had the bag checked all the way through.
There's nothing special about Eagle's Nest terminal procedures that would require collection and re-check of my suitcase, is there?
Thanks!
You will not need to collect your bag.
Old May 19, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I have booked an award on SQ for round trip LAX to NRT. I'm based in NYC. I want to book AA on a paid fare for the NYC-LAX portion. I had a few questions. How much time should I set aside for making the connection at LAX when flying onward to Tokyo on SQ and how much time should I set aside to make the connection coming into LAX on SQ and switching over to AA (coming back I would have to deal with immigration, I have global entry). It appears that AA & SQ have a join agreement where you can check your bag and it will be checked thru on to the other flight. Is this the case? I am booking these tickets separately (redeeming an award through SQ directly) and buying an AA ticket from AA. If you can check the luggage through is there something I need to do at advance or do I just arrange all of that at check-in from my origin airport?
Old May 19, 2016, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
I have booked an award on SQ for round trip LAX to NRT. I'm based in NYC. I want to book AA on a paid fare for the NYC-LAX portion. I had a few questions. How much time should I set aside for making the connection at LAX when flying onward to Tokyo on SQ and how much time should I set aside to make the connection coming into LAX on SQ and switching over to AA (coming back I would have to deal with immigration, I have global entry). It appears that AA & SQ have a join agreement where you can check your bag and it will be checked thru on to the other flight. Is this the case? I am booking these tickets separately (redeeming an award through SQ directly) and buying an AA ticket from AA. If you can check the luggage through is there something I need to do at advance or do I just arrange all of that at check-in from my origin airport?
While AA and SQ may have an interline agreement, AA will not check baggage through to SQ on separate tickets (only to other AA or oneworld flights). So if you will have baggage, you will need to add time for claiming baggage and rechecking it in with SQ.
Old May 20, 2016, 12:47 pm

If I'm flying DFW-JFK-ANU in first class, do I really not get lounge access anywhere? Their website says that you don't get Admiral Club access if your flight is to the Caribbean. That seems bizarre to me...
Old May 20, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
If I'm flying DFW-JFK-ANU in first class, do I really not get lounge access anywhere? Their website says that you don't get Admiral Club access if your flight is to the Caribbean. That seems bizarre to me...
Correct. It's different from airlines in other countries, but that's how it is.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
As AA offers paid lounge membership, it's different from airlines that offer class of service access regardless of distance (such as BA or IB). Qantas Club has some exceptions because they are also by paid membership.

"First and Business Class customers

Lounge access is not available if you’re traveling on American Airlines solely within the United States or between the United States and the Caribbean, Canada, or Mexico (except Mexico City)." link

You can gain all day access to Admirals Clubs with a $50 day pass, or access as a member whether you're flying or not (by advance arrangement) plus over 30 international partner lounges for a $99 thirty day membership.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
While AA and SQ may have an interline agreement, AA will not check baggage through to SQ on separate tickets (only to other AA or oneworld flights). So if you will have baggage, you will need to add time for claiming baggage and rechecking it in with SQ.
Hmm. The SQ rep told me this would not be an issue. Both ways I have at least a 2 hour connection time so hopefully that will be more than enough. Had the rep told me something else I would have built in a bit more time, since I haven't flown into LAX for years and don't really remember the layout.
Old May 20, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Yes, HUCA. Non-elite members most definitely can upgrade with miles+copay.
Thanks for the confirmation. Worked flawlessly with a different agent this morning and was put on the waitlist. BTW, does being on the WL reflect anywhere on the itinerary page online?
Old May 20, 2016, 3:38 pm

How do you upgrade a paid fare in economy to business using miles? Do you have to call in to ask about this or is there some sort of option in your booking online to check to see if there is any availability?
Old May 20, 2016, 4:00 pm

So I'm a bit of an AA rookie myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I was doing a miles+co-pay since I had a discounted economy fare. There's no way to do it online so you'll need to call the AAdvantage Desk (as opposed to regular reservations, at least based on my experience). They can check for availability and put you on the waitlist if needed.

That said, I did check ExpertFlyer to see if there was availability. I knew there was not, but set up a notification to tell me if it does become available.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
So I'm a bit of an AA rookie myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I was doing a miles+co-pay since I had a discounted economy fare. There's no way to do it online so you'll need to call the AAdvantage Desk (as opposed to regular reservations, at least based on my experience). They can check for availability and put you on the waitlist if needed.

That said, I did check ExpertFlyer to see if there was availability. I knew there was not, but set up a notification to tell me if it does become available.
Yea, I think I may have a discounted economy ticket as well. I booked the AA flight using the TY points I got for opening a citigold account and having a prestige card, so it looks like it would cost me $75 and 15k miles. Flying cross country so it may be worth the investment.

Update: I called in and there is no availability to upgrade on either of my flights. The CSR told me she can't put me on a wait list and I have to keep calling back to check. Does anyone know if they did away with the wait list option for AA upgrades? That seems kinda suspect. The flight out has only one J seat available, but the other flight is showing 12 open seats in J so I am having a difficult time believing that they won't even consider me for a wait list on that.

Last edited by Red259; May 20, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Old May 20, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
Hmm. The SQ rep told me this would not be an issue. Both ways I have at least a 2 hour connection time so hopefully that will be more than enough. Had the rep told me something else I would have built in a bit more time, since I haven't flown into LAX for years and don't really remember the layout.
On the return SQ may be willing to check through on the separate tickets (I don't know their policy), but AA definitely won't check through on separate tickets to SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.