Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 7:12 pm

Companion upgrade when companion is award ticket?

I'm traveling LAX-HNL next month, on a revenue ticket. My friend is also on that flight, traveling on an award ticket. I was considering putting my name on the list for an upgrade (using my upgrade credits), and having AA "link" the request so that my friend is also upgraded using my credits. I was checking AA's policies online, and everywhere I looked it seemed to just say that a person can designate "one companion" to also upgrade with them, but nothing stipulates that the companion be traveling on a revenue ticket (vs. award). Does anyone have any insight/experience with this?
Old May 18, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Chad073
I'm traveling LAX-HNL next month, on a revenue ticket. My friend is also on that flight, traveling on an award ticket. I was considering putting my name on the list for an upgrade (using my upgrade credits), and having AA "link" the request so that my friend is also upgraded using my credits. I was checking AA's policies online, and everywhere I looked it seemed to just say that a person can designate "one companion" to also upgrade with them, but nothing stipulates that the companion be traveling on a revenue ticket (vs. award). Does anyone have any insight/experience with this?
500-mile upgrades and upgrade awards cannot be used on award flights in any case. While the terms and conditions don't explicitly spell out your specific situation, the bolded text in this list clearly applies to the subsequent clauses:

• AAdvantage Executive Platinum members traveling on any purchased, published fare and for Platinum and Gold members traveling on any purchased, published fare on flights 500 miles or less in length are eligible for complimentary upgrades.
  • Platinum or Gold members traveling on a flight greater than 500 miles in length may upgrade using 500-mile upgrades as payment.
  • AAdvantage elite status members may upgrade one companion traveling on the same flight using 500-mile upgrades from their own account as payment.
  • Non elite status members may only upgrade when they are traveling as the companion to an elite status member.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
You cannot upgrade an award ticket using upgrade instruments such as 500-mile upgrades or SWUs. You have to pay the extra miles for a new award, assuming there is award availability.

Edit: Looks like I was too slow (and partly misunderstood you as well).
Old May 18, 2016, 7:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As has been mentioned, only paid (not award) flights may be upgraded with upgrade instruments. You can, however, upgrade by using miles for a Business ot First seat by calling. AA will waive the award $150 redeposit fee if you are depositing miles from a lower class or type to a higher one.

You have come to the right place to learn the ins and outs of American Airlines and the AAdvantage program.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:50 pm

If I'm flying international business on an award ticket and the person I'm traveling with is in coach, may I bring them into the Admiral's Club as a guest?
Old May 18, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa
If I'm flying international business on an award ticket and the person I'm traveling with is in coach, may I bring them into the Admiral's Club as a guest?
You may bring up to two guests to an Admirals Club if you are a member.

You may bring one guest if you have the necessary status or are flying a qualifying flight in Business or First. Whether you're flying on an award or paid ticket is immaterial.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:18 pm

Thank you so much, JDiver. Debe ser mexicano porque estás tan útiles . Muchas gracias. ^
Old May 18, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa
Thank you so much, JDiver. Debe ser mexicano porque estás tan útiles . Muchas gracias. ^
De nada. Soy ex-morelense de Cuernavaca, Morelos (aunque nací chilango ). You're welcome.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:26 pm

I figured as much.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Question about connecting in LAX:

I'm flying into T6 tomorrow on a short hop from SJC. I'm then flying out of T4 on AA136 to London. What's the best way to get between terminals 6 and 4?

Do I just walk along the road outside the way you do when transferring between 4 and TBIT? I read they were opening a tunnel connecting the terminals (hopefully staying inside security when doing so!!?) Is that the case?

Many thanks for your help.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by estate
Question about connecting in LAX:

I'm flying into T6 tomorrow on a short hop from SJC. I'm then flying out of T4 on AA136 to London. What's the best way to get between terminals 6 and 4?

Do I just walk along the road outside the way you do when transferring between 4 and TBIT? I read they were opening a tunnel connecting the terminals (hopefully staying inside security when doing so!!?) Is that the case?

Many thanks for your help.
Take the T-6 to T-4 airside shuttle bus from the bus port between gates 60 and 62 (not the one to 60A-I Eagle's Nest") or walk using the airside corridor. Do not go landside and subject yourself to the potentially chaotic and lengthy TSA queues!

And there is a T-4 TBIT airside connector open if you'd rather use the oneworld Business or Qantas First lounge there or if your flight gets scheduled out of TBIT.

See article, photos, etc. provided by IceTrojan: http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/...perations-lax/
Old May 19, 2016, 9:20 am

Thanks JDriver. The AA app says I'm arriving at T6 gate 60D, so presumably that means I'll get bussed in to T6 proper? Then I would get back on another bus, this time the air-side shuttle you mention to T4?

Currently the AA app says my departure is definitely from T4, but great to know there's an air-side connection to TBIT - the QF F Lounge is fantastic.

Last edited by JDiver; May 19, 2016 at 9:30 am Reason: Edit wrong post, sorry.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:29 am

Thanks JDriver. The AA app says I'm arriving at T6 gate 60D, so presumably that means I'll get bussed in to T6 proper? Then I would get back on another bus, this time the air-side shuttle you mention to T4?

Currently the AA app says my departure is definitely from T4, but great to know there's an air-side connection to TBIT - the QF F Lounge is fantastic.
There are three airside shuttle busses available:

Eagle's Nest <-> T-6 (you'd want this if recovering bags, now delivered to T-6 carousel)

Eagle's Nest <-> T-4 (you want this one if arriving 60-D)

T-4 <-> T-6

More good stuff: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

"Some people add a "u" to Qantas, others add an extra "r" to JDiver"... [/QUOTE]
Old May 19, 2016, 9:32 am

Ah - fantastic, thank you for clarifying.
And apologies for the typo.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:47 am

Ah - fantastic, thank you for clarifying.
And apologies for the typo.
Not necessary. My de vice has autocorrect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.