Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by homanga
Does AA offer any sort of challenge for people without any current airline status. The reason I ask is I am starting a new job and trying to decide between AA and UA for airline of choice. Travel likely ORD to STL or Columbia MO. 3 trips per month round trip and likely booked at standard fares not discounted fares.

Basically could I get a challenge to get status quicer given this job starts in August and I'll barely make 30 segments over that time.

Or is there a CC offer or promotional offer that grants low level AA status?

Thanks for the help
Yes, you can sign up for AA's Gold or Platinum challenge. See the HELP DESK & FAQ: NEW AA Elite Status Challenge (effective Jan 2016).

The Gold challenge requires you to earn 7000 EQM in 3 months. A flight in full-fare economy earns you 1.5 EQM per mile flown. So 9 such round trips ORD-STL would earn you 9 * 1.5 * 516 = 6966 EQM. Make one of those ORD-COU instead, and you're in.

No, there is no card which gets you AA status.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:22 am

Pretty basic questions, and I'm not sure if it belongs here or in BA, but since it relates to an AA award, I'll try here.

Party of four flying on a business award, first segment on AA (USA-LHR) and the second on BA (LHR-VIE). Two separate reservations/PNRs. We cannot choose seats on BA without paying. It appears one can select seats at OLCI. But I will be checking in with AA, not BA. Is there any way to select seats on BA once OLCI opens, and before checking in with AA?

Second, and possibly related, it's a reasonably tight connection and it would be good not to have to visit the BA transit desk in LHR. Will AA give me BA boarding passes when I check in at the airport for the first segement, or is there some other way to get them from BA.com?
Old May 27, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lkar
Pretty basic questions, and I'm not sure if it belongs here or in BA, but since it relates to an AA award, I'll try here.

Party of four flying on a business award, first segment on AA (USA-LHR) and the second on BA (LHR-VIE). Two separate reservations/PNRs. We cannot choose seats on BA without paying. It appears one can select seats at OLCI. But I will be checking in with AA, not BA. Is there any way to select seats on BA once OLCI opens, and before checking in with AA?

Second, and possibly related, it's a reasonably tight connection and it would be good not to have to visit the BA transit desk in LHR. Will AA give me BA boarding passes when I check in at the airport for the first segement, or is there some other way to get them from BA.com?
Assuming it is two separate USA-VIE reservations and not one reservation USA-LHR and a separate reservation LHR-VIE:

When you check in with AA, seats will be assigned for you for your BA flights. Yes, AA will give you your boarding passes for your BA flights.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Assuming it is two separate USA-VIE reservations and not one reservation USA-LHR and a separate reservation LHR-VIE:

When you check in with AA, seats will be assigned for you for your BA flights. Yes, AA will give you your boarding passes for your BA flights.
Right -- two separate reservations for the entire trip (2 people in each PNR). Thanks very much!
Old May 27, 2016, 10:42 am

JFK-CUN in 1st - Lounge Access

Am I correct that I will NOT have lounge access in both JFK and CUN even though I am flying in first??

Thanks
Old May 27, 2016, 10:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by flightmedic
Am I correct that I will NOT have lounge access in both JFK and CUN even though I am flying in first??

Thanks
You are correct. North America, Caribbean and Mexico - with the exception of Mexico City - do not include lounge access when flying in Business class (which is what you'll be flying in).

The thread useful for these questions, which includes a wikipost summarizing useful information, is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ss-2016-a.html.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:01 am

Questions pertaining to 737 possibilities on a given route have reached the volume to be moved to the best thread for these questions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ife-etc.html

/Moderator
Old May 27, 2016, 8:34 pm

What does "LUS" mean? It's not in the glossary. Thank you.

Last edited by JDiver; May 28, 2016 at 11:13 am
Old May 28, 2016, 10:38 am

I'm not a newbie really but this feels like a newbie question, so...

I traveled SFO-JFK-HEL-SVO-HEL-JFK-SVO a few weeks ago. The international segments were on AY.

All segments posted to my account over a week ago except SVO-HEL. This seems pretty odd since that was on the same PNR as the other segments. Is this common? Should I do anything or just wait?
Old May 28, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chrisremo
I'm not a newbie really but this feels like a newbie question, so...

I traveled SFO-JFK-HEL-SVO-HEL-JFK-SVO a few weeks ago. The international segments were on AY.

All segments posted to my account over a week ago except SVO-HEL. This seems pretty odd since that was on the same PNR as the other segments. Is this common? Should I do anything or just wait?
According to AA you have to wait at least 15 days for mileage to post. If it hasn't by then (and if that segment was eligible to earn mileage), it'd definitely be worth sending in a request.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
JFK -EDI AA278
First timer on here, I am looking at vacation to USA but returning to EDI on above 757. I have tried to find out current flight reports on this route. ARe the 757s refurb with lie flat seats ? Any recent trip reports ?
Old May 28, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Gringa
What does "LUS" mean? It's not in the glossary. Thank you.
"Legacy US Airways". LAA = "Legacy American Airlines".

I'd ask Admin to add these, but they're very localized to this forum and are likely to die out in the near future.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PIKnic
JFK -EDI AA278
First timer on here, I am looking at vacation to USA but returning to EDI on above 757. I have tried to find out current flight reports on this route. ARe the 757s refurb with lie flat seats ? Any recent trip reports ?
The seats on the 757 are slanted.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
So I voluntarily cancelled a YYZ - Brasil AA round trip ticket. I was expecting to be able to rebook to another destination (HKG) minus of course the change fee. However, I am now told by AA that my ticket is essentially worthless outside of anything except the original city pair "because it would then price as two one ways" (I don't understand this).

Is this correct? I don't remember reading anything in any fare rules that ever specify something like this.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
So I voluntarily cancelled a YYZ - Brasil AA round trip ticket. I was expecting to be able to rebook to another destination (HKG) minus of course the change fee. However, I am now told by AA that my ticket is essentially worthless outside of anything except the original city pair "because it would then price as two one ways" (I don't understand this).

Is this correct? I don't remember reading anything in any fare rules that ever specify something like this.
That doesn't make sense; you should be able to apply the residual credit to any new AA itinerary you want. Did you try calling back and speaking with a different agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.