Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Not saying it's not WORTH it going on CX via HKG and paying for two awards. It would actually give you more flexibility and an opportunity to stop over in a great city. CX availability is also infinitely better than both AA and QF.

JFK-YVR-HKG + HKG-SYD would be a great trip in CX premium cabin, for example.

Another option (albeit even longer) would be JL via NRT/HND.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
Doesn't flying JFK-SYD on CX mandate a layover in HKG? I didn't mean to say it was going to be a 24+ hour stopover, I just thought that was the only way to get from US to SYD on CX. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
It is the only way to get to Sydney on CX but requires two awards; JFK-HKG, and HKG-SYD.

At current rates business class would be 55,000 (for JFK to HKG) and 35,000 (for HKG to SYD) for a total of 90,000 miles. After devaluation this will cost 110,000 miles (70,000 + 40,000)

First would be 112,500 pre-devaluation and 160,000 after devaluation.

I hope I got my math right.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by akcae
Not saying it's not WORTH it going on CX via HKG and paying for two awards. It would actually give you more flexibility and an opportunity to stop over in a great city. CX availability is also infinitely better than both AA and QF.

JFK-YVR-HKG + HKG-SYD would be a great trip in CX premium cabin, for example.

Another option (albeit even longer) would be JL via NRT/HND.
JFK-YVR-HKG is a terrible trip though because the JFK-YVR flight gets in at midnight and leaves at 1:25am. Connecting at midnight is just irritating.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Smiley90
JFK-YVR-HKG is a terrible trip though because the JFK-YVR flight gets in at midnight and leaves at 1:25am. Connecting at midnight is just irritating.
One stays on the plane in YVR when going JFK-YVR-HKG, so it's not horrible. The schedule is nice in that you leave NY late in the evening and arrive HK in the morning. If you can stay up the first leg and sleep the second, you arrive with very little jet lag.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:27 pm

Does anyone have any recent success or experience with having 3 separate reservation numbers with 3 separate travelers and one has the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card and still got all members first checked bag for free as well as priority boarding?

It would all come down to the rep that helps us check in at the airport right?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sateran
Does anyone have any recent success or experience with having 3 separate reservation numbers with 3 separate travelers and one has the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card and still got all members first checked bag for free as well as priority boarding?

It would all come down to the rep that helps us check in at the airport right?
Very unlikely, this. They need to be on your PNR.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Very unlikely, this. They need to be on your PNR.
Perhaps it might help if one of the other travelers is an AU on my card?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sateran
Perhaps it might help if one of the other travelers is an AU on my card?
I'm not sure that will make any difference, unless Authorized Users are allowed free domestic baggage.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm not sure that will make any difference, unless Authorized Users are allowed free domestic baggage.

I'll try my luck as see how it goes. Thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX GO, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Companion Upgrade

Hello,

Please bare with me - I'm a CX Guy but recently acquired AA Platinum through a challenge (however I already have 50 EQMs - so also have it in my own right). My partner is EXP and we flew LAX - LIH - LAX last week.

On the outbound flight - my name couldn't be added to the upgrade list as I didn't have enough 500 mile upgrades. However, my partner has 50+. Can he use his 500 mile upgrades for me or has to come from my account?

Before I continue - we were on the same booking.

On the return some flights had posted so I had enough 500 mile upgrades in my account so I was added to the list. He came up as number 1 and I was number 3. Is this right? Shouldn't I get the same level as him? I didn't query it because I could see there was only one empty seat in First so didn't see any point as one of us would only get upgraded anyway.

As we board my partner got it and I didn't but after boarding complete one guy didn't show up in First so number 2 on the list got it.

I'm just wondering how this works flying with him in the future and if there is any real benefit?

Thanks - DT
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
One stays on the plane in YVR when going JFK-YVR-HKG, so it's not horrible. The schedule is nice in that you leave NY late in the evening and arrive HK in the morning. If you can stay up the first leg and sleep the second, you arrive with very little jet lag.
^
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Ah I didn't know you could stay on, that makes the whole thing a bit better as you can just stay in bed. At least!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
SWU balance in account, where to look?

My eyes are playing games with me.

After logon to my account, I can no longer locate SWU balance anymore. Sometime ago, I did see it.

Where can I see it now? TIA
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
My eyes are playing games with me.

After logon to my account, I can no longer locate SWU balance anymore. Sometime ago, I did see it.

Where can I see it now? TIA
If you go to "Your Account," scroll down to the "Activity and Upgrades" section, and then click on the tab for "Upgrades," you should see your SWU and sticker upgrade balance.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Ah I didn't know you could stay on, that makes the whole thing a bit better as you can just stay in bed. At least!
Well, you do have to put your seat up for landing/takeoff, so it is a bit annoying if you wanted to sleep through the stopover. I tend to want to stay up until after takeoff from YVR, which admittedly is usually something like 5am NY time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.