Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akarneboge
NOTE: There are only twenty (20) Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") in the AA fleet.
Print Wikipost

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have not flown AA for many years, but have an upcoming MIA-LAX that I purchased in F due to the 772 1-2-1 flat bed. It has now changed to a 32B with normal domestic 2-2. On United, this is considered a flight change and allows me to cancel without penalty. Is that true on American or am I screwed? Sad to pay for flat bed and get only a cramped, old domestic seat.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
I have not flown AA for many years, but have an upcoming MIA-LAX that I purchased in F due to the 772 1-2-1 flat bed. It has now changed to a 32B with normal domestic 2-2. On United, this is considered a flight change and allows me to cancel without penalty. Is that true on American or am I screwed? Sad to pay for flat bed and get only a cramped, old domestic seat.
I was able to get a time change without penalty on a discount business class fare. I chose the 772 because of the lie-flat seats at the expense of a 6 hour layover in MIA, but swapped for a shorter layover because of the downgrade. However they're operating their newer A321s on the route, so maybe it might not be so bad versus the old ex-US Airways birds?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Did you call AA? Tell them exactly what you posted.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ralphs
Did you call AA? Tell them exactly what you posted.
Just called. They said no dice. They do not promise any particular aircraft type, even on 'premium' routes like MIA-LAX. I guess I will just live with it. United, by comparison, has in their carriage of contract that change from flat bed to regular domestic F constitutes a change on their part and qualifies for refund. Live and learn.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I don't recall if the contract of carriage allows cancellation, but definitely allows you to reschedule. It is a change of equipment which is not acceptable to the customer. I have done this several times (change flight, not cancel).

I will find the relevant language and update this post.

UPDATE: Here it is, and you can cancel without penalty: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rplane-change/

Read the post I linked to and call back. Please let us know how it goes.

EDIT: The information posted above is for international travel - it does not apply to domestic itineraries.

Last edited by HofstraJet; Oct 18, 2017 at 11:48 pm Reason: Added clarification about applicability
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I don't recall if the contract of carriage allows cancellation, but definitely allows you to reschedule. It is a change of equipment which is not acceptable to the customer. I have done this several times (change flight, not cancel).

I will find the relevant language and update this post.

UPDATE: Here it is, and you can cancel without penalty: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rplane-change/

Read the post I linked to and call back. Please let us know how it goes.
I think blueman2 may be stuck. The provision quoted (at OMAAT) is from the international tariff, not the domestic contract. As MIA-LAX is domestic, the international rules do not govern. That said, AA should permit free changes (and maybe a refund) when a premium transcon route gets downgraded. Big difference between "should" and "has to."
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I've gotten AA to change my flight before in a similar circumstance (domestic lieflat getting downgauged), but I haven't tried an outright refund.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I think blueman2 may be stuck. The provision quoted (at OMAAT) is from the international tariff, not the domestic contract. As MIA-LAX is domestic, the international rules do not govern. That said, AA should permit free changes (and maybe a refund) when a premium transcon route gets downgraded. Big difference between "should" and "has to."
Thanks for that clarification - didn't realize that. Here's the domestic CoC: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Just called. They said no dice. They do not promise any particular aircraft type, even on 'premium' routes like MIA-LAX. I guess I will just live with it. United, by comparison, has in their carriage of contract that change from flat bed to regular domestic F constitutes a change on their part and qualifies for refund. Live and learn.
Honestly just depends on the agent. I've gotten MIALAX changed for free when downgraded from lie-flat to domestic F more than once. It's been a while, though. I now fly JetBlue Mint from FLL.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
AA-No More 777 from LAX-MIA?

For years there has been a daily three-class 777 that flew from LAX to MIA in the morning, and returned late in the afternoon. I was just searching for this flight, and can't find any 777 flights at all between the two. It seems that it has been withdrawn from this route, which sucks, as it was the only lie-flat option for the transcon flight.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
It's all right here, and then some.......

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 25, 2017 at 10:24 pm Reason: Redacted link to this thread
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:37 pm

I booked my first Jetblue Mint flight after this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
I booked my first Jetblue Mint flight after this.
Like a lot of passengers, I was initially disappointed to see the 77W disappear from this route.

However, AA stepped up and allows you to enter the Qantas F lounge at LAX both before and after the transcon between LAX and MIA under certain conditions. They kept my business.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcatman
Like a lot of passengers, I was initially disappointed to see the 77W disappear from this route.

However, AA stepped up and allows you to enter the Qantas F lounge at LAX both before and after the transcon between LAX and MIA under certain conditions. They kept my business.
That's a great way to start/end the flight. But what about the 6 hours on the actual plane? For me, standard domestic equipment doesn't cut it on a flight of that length. I need at least a recliner/cradle style seat if not lie flat.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
That's a great way to start/end the flight. But what about the 6 hours on the actual plane? For me, standard domestic equipment doesn't cut it on a flight of that length. I need at least a recliner/cradle style seat if not lie flat.
In F, on AA's newer 321's with AVOD, that six hours is doable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.