Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akarneboge
NOTE: There are only twenty (20) Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") in the AA fleet.
Print Wikipost

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
Correct, December isn't going to be accurate yet. I would expect it to stay as we get into December which is an even busier time for these markets than November is. Not sure whether it will be that same time or not though. I'm on that flight next week and it's pretty empty so far.
Some of timing for Dec is schedule looks odd, like two 77W on some days and one departing at 12:10 am!
Old Oct 30, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Some of timing for Dec is schedule looks odd, like two 77W on some days and one departing at 12:10 am!
The double 77W service starts next week actually. There is a red-eye flight just after midnight and a 9:45am flight in the LAX-MIA direction and a 3:30p and 7:22p in the MIA-LAX direction.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The double 77W service starts next week actually. There is a red-eye flight just after midnight and a 9:45am flight in the LAX-MIA direction and a 3:30p and 7:22p in the MIA-LAX direction.
Right, and I have a hard time believing there will be such strong demand to fill a 77W at midnight with another 77W flight within nine hours, but hey if AA wants to make this a non-rev party, they can. lol
Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Correct, December isn't going to be accurate yet. I would expect it to stay as we get into December which is an even busier time for these markets than November is. Not sure whether it will be that same time or not though. I'm on that flight next week and it's pretty empty so far.
It would be interesting if there was a similar pattern with previous months schedule changes (e.g. did 77W mid-afternoon departure not show up on November schedule until final schedule was set the month before?)

In any case, I guess I'll wait to book until the December schedule is finalized (this weekend perhaps?).

If I knew the 9 am 772 departure showing on the December schedule was going to hold, I'd consider just booking that one, but then I'd risk having that get switched to a narrowbody and the prospect of a standard recliner seat for >5.5 hr leaving at a less than ideal time of day does not sound appealing.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by econ
It would be interesting if there was a similar pattern with previous months schedule changes (e.g. did 77W mid-afternoon departure not show up on November schedule until final schedule was set the month before?)

In any case, I guess I'll wait to book until the December schedule is finalized (this weekend perhaps?).

If I knew the 9 am 772 departure showing on the December schedule was going to hold, I'd consider just booking that one, but then I'd risk having that get switched to a narrowbody and the prospect of a standard recliner seat for >5.5 hr leaving at a less than ideal time of day does not sound appealing.
You are right, the December domestic schedule is not finalized and more updates would come either this Saturday night or the following Saturday.

By the way, for AA tickets, an aircraft change is a reasonable excuse to change or cancel your flights without any penalty. So, if you book the 772 flight and got switched to an A32B, you would be able to switch yourself for free to the 77W service ( if they have one ) in Flagship Business for no extra cost. The same applies if you have a schedule change for more than 30 minutes. Worst case scenario, you could get a voucher and pay the fare difference after the schedule change.

Note: Free changes without any fare difference collected are only valid for options between -24/+24 hours from your original affected departure time.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You are right, the December domestic schedule is not finalized and more updates would come either this Saturday night or the following Saturday.

By the way, for AA tickets, an aircraft change is a reasonable excuse to change or cancel your flights without any penalty. So, if you book the 772 flight and got switched to an A32B, you would be able to switch yourself for free to the 77W service ( if they have one ) in Flagship Business for no extra cost.
While I'm guessing that I might find a sympathetic agent to accommodate a change in that case, I thought the actual policy related to equipment changes only applied to international itineraries?

Also unfortunately, AA isn't marketing their 772 flights on this route as Flagship Business, so even if I book that flight I wouldn't have that to leverage either.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I'm guessing that I might find a sympathetic agent to accommodate a change in that case, I thought the actual policy related to equipment changes only applied to international itineraries?

Also unfortunately, AA isn't marketing their 772 flights on this route as Flagship Business, so even if I book that flight I wouldn't have that to leverage either.
That's actually incorrect. All nonstops JFK LAX/SFO are being sold as Flagship whether operated by 321T (3class) or 772 (2class); same for MIA LAX when it is operated by 77W (3class).
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

I would imagine the schedule will be updated soon and will mostly reflect the November schedule but it's anyone's guess at this point.
econ likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
That's actually incorrect. All nonstops JFK LAX/SFO are being sold as Flagship whether operated by 321T (3class) or 772 (2class); same for MIA LAX when it is operated by 77W (3class).
I was referring to MIA-LAX on 772, which is not being marketed as Flagship (at least it's not indicated as such when searching for flights on AA.com).
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I could confirm that during IRROPS, you could switch your flight from a Domestic First service to Flagship Business.

So regardless of what aircraft you’ve booked 772, 787, 32B, you could always change your flight to a 77W during a cancellation, schedule change over 30 minutes, etc... without any extra charge.
econ likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was referring to MIA-LAX on 772, which is not being marketed as Flagship (at least it's not indicated as such when searching for flights on AA.com).
Correct, but it is sold as Flagship when operated by 77W but I thought you were referring as the 772 which is operating JFK LAX in November which is being sold as Flagship Business, but there is no First
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to add, if the schedule change happens this Saturday night, I would be reporting all the transcontinental changes, including an analysis of the LAX-MIA route in the thread below.

Reduction/Schedule Changes in Premium Transcontinental Flights Starting Nov 2020
cmd320 and Nephoi like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Booking a trip for mid January, I found the 777W to be pulled from the rotation. A321, 787, and one flight on 777-2, is what is remaining. I assume that even if paid J, that means no lounge access as well.

​​​​​
Old Nov 1, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
Booking a trip for mid January, I found the 777W to be pulled from the rotation. A321, 787, and one flight on 777-2, is what is remaining. I assume that even if paid J, that means no lounge access as well.

​​​​​
Updates for flights after 5 January 2020 haven't been made yet. Probably, they would re-add the 77W on the next schedule update, which would potentially be on the last week of November or in the first week of December.

By the way, in December, I'll be flying on one of the AA 1782 flights ( LAX to MIA departing 00:10/12:10 am ) in Flagship Business, I'll share my experiences somewhere here in FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

By the way, in December, I'll be flying on one of the AA 1782 flights ( LAX to MIA departing 00:10/12:10 am ) in Flagship Business, I'll share my experiences somewhere here in FlyerTalk.
Please do. Would be interesting to hear how AA is treating this red eye flight.
cmd320 and ISTFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.