Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akarneboge
NOTE: There are only twenty (20) Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") in the AA fleet.
Print Wikipost

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
It would appear based on recent schedule/equipment changes that effective Oct 29th AA is discontinuing MIA-LAX and LAX-MIA Flagship First/3 Cabin service which was served by at least one flight a day on the 77W. Historically there used to be at least one flight a day in each direction between Miami and Los Angeles where AA sold true "F" Flagship First service on a 3 Cabin aircraft. Most recently those were the following flights:

AA275 MIA - LAX
AA1088 LAX - MIA

There used to be even more than one flight a day in each direction but over the past several months that had shrunk down to just one daily flight each way. It does look like a widebody 772 comes back to the route in the spring but only for a month or so (probably for spring break) and regardless a 772 is not a Flagship First capable plane as it only is two cabin.

Any one know if there has been any official announcement or communication from AA? When I contacted our AA corporate Airpass rep they were clueless to the change.

I wonder if simple schedule rotation resulted in this change or if they don't see MIA-LAX and vice versa as a profitable Flagship First route. As a corporate travel coordinator this is a loss. We often have the choice of booking AA commercial flights vs private flights operated Citation X or Falcon 50. Many times our executives would actually prefer the AA Flagship first over the private jet as the privates almost never had comfortable lay flat accommodations such as the F seat in the 77W. I wonder if services such as JetSmarter were a factor as they now offer mainstream private flights between Miami and Los Angeles for about the same (or less) cost per seat as what the AA Flagship First seat costs.
If true, I wonder if that also means the loss of premium transcon F/J service (upgraded meals) on all MIA<>LAX flights, and AAdmirals Club access to paid F passengers? As in, MIA<>LAX will become a normal, non-premium transcon (like JFK-SEA is, for example)...?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
It's less than ideal, but it looks like you can book LAX-CLT-MIA or LAX-DFW-MIA where the CLT-MIA segment (AA 2529) or DFW-MIA segment (AA 339) is lieflat on a 767. Very much less than ideal.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Also an option to take a 789 lax-dfw connecting to a a321. Since that flight is new it had some confirmable upgrade space at time if booking so I decided to try that then one of the 321s all the way
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA
It looks like the 772 has 20 fewer biz seats than the 77W's number of combined biz/1st seats, so upgradeability will really suck even if they do eventually make the 772 a permanent replacement for the LAX-MIA 77W.
beachfan likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by guwinster
It looks like the 772 has 20 fewer biz seats than the 77W's number of combined biz/1st seats, so upgradeability will really suck even if they do eventually make the 772 a permanent replacement for the LAX-MIA 77W.
Of the 47 772's, 13 have 45 Zodiac J seats (alternating front and aft facing), 6 have 37 Zodiac J seats and the rest of the 28 772's are equipped with 37 B/E Aerospace J seats (all front facing).

The 773 has 52 J seats and 8 F FlagShip Suites.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:04 pm

I'm curious as to whether they will still consider it a transcon route now that it's being served with a two-class configuration (772). I'm wondering what lounge access is going to be like now for Domestic First passengers.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:36 pm

Further update, my flight in January has been further downgraded to an A321S. There are no widebodies operating non-stop flights from MIA to LAX on that day (9th). Legit makes me sad.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by racerx777
Further update, my flight in January has been further downgraded to an A321S. There are no widebodies operating non-stop flights from MIA to LAX on that day (9th). Legit makes me sad.

Confirming the "sadness". Two mileage runs to SJU from LAX planned in January, and the return on AA275 was in J on a lie-flat in the mini-cabin.

Flying the 77W transcontinental was wonderful while it lasted. Time to seek out the next "gem".
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jcatman
Confirming the "sadness". Two mileage runs to SJU from LAX planned in January, and the return on AA275 was in J on a lie-flat in the mini-cabin.

Flying the 77W transcontinental was wonderful while it lasted. Time to seek out the next "gem".
Exact same situation for me.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Fortunately I will take AA1088/AA275 in F this weekend
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I'm curious as to whether they will still consider it a transcon route now that it's being served with a two-class configuration (772). I'm wondering what lounge access is going to be like now for Domestic First passengers.
Lounge access doesn't change. 2-class MIA-LAX passengers have AC access today and will continue to.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Requirement changed somewhat recently:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28683949-post586.html
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Requirement changed somewhat recently:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28683949-post586.html
Seems to imply access if you are in F on the two class 321s lax-Mia as well. I wonder if that also works at Qantas F lounge in LAX.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Seems to imply access if you are in F on the two class 321s lax-Mia as well. I wonder if that also works at Qantas F lounge in LAX.
It did for me flying LAX-MIA-LAX last month. ^^
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Lounge access doesn't change. 2-class MIA-LAX passengers have AC access today and will continue to.
Originally Posted by beachfan
Nice. Sadly never flown the 77W or any of the retrofitted 772s yet in first, so I was looking forward to that. At least I can drown my sorrows in the lounge lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.