Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akarneboge
NOTE: There are only twenty (20) Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") in the AA fleet.
Print Wikipost

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:55 am

Quite interesting AA is really not doing much to defend what they consider as one of the 3 premium transcon routes. FLL-LAX is already performing much better now than the BOS mint routes despite AA's huge inherit advantages. I would be shocked if it's not getting additional frequency on Jetblue's next schedule extension. Remember when mint started, B6 was at 4 a day on JFK-LAX vs AA's 13 a day and now it's at 11 a day. Would it be shocking if FLL-LAX become 5 or 6 a day sometimes down the road? That would be a big problem for AA. Maybe AA will finally do something if Delta starts putting premium product on this route.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Is there a place for datapoints on upgrading economy to biz with 500-milers on the LAX-MIA 77W? I recall reading something but forgot where.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ralphs
Is there a place for datapoints on upgrading economy to biz with 500-milers on the LAX-MIA 77W? I recall reading something but forgot where.
Consider it a very low probability unless you're CK or EXP (even then it's still hard). This flight tends to sell out in J
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Finsup72
Consider it a very low probability unless you're CK or EXP (even then it's still hard). This flight tends to sell out in J
Agreed. My wife was on MIA-LAX as PLT last year and was #21 on the upgrade list. They upgraded about 15 people at the gate and she still wasn't close.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by dciolli
Agreed. My wife was on MIA-LAX as PLT last year and was #21 on the upgrade list. They upgraded about 15 people at the gate and she still wasn't close.
Wow I've never seen 15 people upgraded on this flight. The upgrade list tends to be 30+ and normally 1 or 2 people clear based on my experience. Nonetheless, don't expect to be upgraded as PLT. This is a very good use of miles + copay IMO
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Finsup72
Wow I've never seen 15 people upgraded on this flight. The upgrade list tends to be 30+ and normally 1 or 2 people clear based on my experience. Nonetheless, don't expect to be upgraded as PLT. This is a very good use of miles + copay IMO
This will not make a difference to a PLT if there are CKs and EXPs above them on the upgrade list.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by laagima
This will not make a difference to a PLT if there are CKs and EXPs above them on the upgrade list.
It will if there is C availability at booking.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
This flight did take place when the upgrades weren't working correctly. Now that's been fixed, I would assume CK and EXP would be upgraded much further in advance with so many seats open.

In hindsight, I should have used miles + copay. I saw C inventory available 24 hours before, but figured she would get upgraded with 15 seats showing available. By the time they upgrade list was showing on the app, the C inventory was gone. Big lesson learned for us.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
77W is still in the schedule.

However, I've simply switched all my flying to Mint. I absolutely hate Fll, it's a garbage dump, but AA has the worst domestic airline product these days. Maybe they'll fix it one day.

I do think when 777 work is done we'll see the 2-class 777s return to the route. Or maybe the new lie flat 757s, which will primarily be based out of Miami, will see transcontinental duty from Miami.
I love Mint, and was thrilled when Jet Blue opened up their schedule for next March. Scored Row 4 (single seats) for less than half of what AA wanted for their Scow of the Skies out of MIA. I just wish there was a lounge we could access at FLL.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I agree that it is a route to use miles+copay if you can. My wife and I traveled this RT earlier this year. I am PLT and she has no status. When I got the first EF alert outbound, I split her onto a separate PNR and upgraded her. A few hours later a second C opened up and I called and upgraded my seat. On the return, I was upgraded with stickers (forgot exactly when but it was definitely two days before the flight) but they didn't show my wife's PNR still linked so she wasn't upgraded and with no status wouldn't be. Thankfully a C spot opened up and I was able to upgrade her (me really). Didn't expect my sticker upgrade to go through as it had not in the past, so invest in EF and monitor for C space.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by critterchick
I love Mint, and was thrilled when Jet Blue opened up their schedule for next March. Scored Row 4 (single seats) for less than half of what AA wanted for their Scow of the Skies out of MIA. I just wish there was a lounge we could access at FLL.
And what airline are you looking to provide that lounge? AA or Jet Blue?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcatman
Honestly at FLL I would be more likely to expect a 3rd party lounge to open. AA certainly won't be opening a lounge for B6 flights, and I find it highly unlikely that B6 will begin its own proprietary lounges.

FLL has a number of international departures. It's very surprising there is no lounge outside of the SC and UC.

For the transcon B6 flights though, I don't really see a lack of lounge at the origin airport to be a big deal breaker. I will typically arrive at my origin/home airport as close to departure as possible with the goal of never having to stop walking from the time I park the car to the time I sit down on the aircraft.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
On this route, complimentary Upgrades open up before miles/copay. Makes no sense, but it's been consistently so since November. Cheers
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
Who cares? I'm an AC member and I imagine that Mint would get us in the door if B6 ever opened one. Somehow I doubt that FLL would be their first location, though. Priority Pass would work!

Originally Posted by cmd320
Honestly at FLL I would be more likely to expect a 3rd party lounge to open. AA certainly won't be opening a lounge for B6 flights, and I find it highly unlikely that B6 will begin its own proprietary lounges.

FLL has a number of international departures. It's very surprising there is no lounge outside of the SC and UC.

For the transcon B6 flights though, I don't really see a lack of lounge at the origin airport to be a big deal breaker. I will typically arrive at my origin/home airport as close to departure as possible with the goal of never having to stop walking from the time I park the car to the time I sit down on the aircraft.
Nor do I (see it as a dealbreaker). I was just wishing out loud, so to speak.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
IMO this is still the best U.S. domestic offering, bar none. Sure certain elements of B6 may be better but FLL is less convenient for most people traveling to Dade County, and the 777 is a more spacious and airy cabin versus an A321 even with the Mint Suite.

It's just too bad the morning AA 299 is gone and the later return AA 252 and AA 1488 (this one will need a new LAA flight number) are gone. Usually there's a widebody drought here in the Northern Summer when most of the widebody capacity is used for seasonal routes and capacity increases. This has been the case for years on this route, along with other more sporadic domestic widebody flying (i.e. BOS-LAX and JFK-SAN).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.