Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akarneboge
NOTE: There are only twenty (20) Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") in the AA fleet.
Print Wikipost

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Did you board from Gate 41? IMHO boarding for this flight is one of the most insane boarding experiences ever. The gate is consistently a madhouse and it seems like over 100 people line up right when they call for the eight-seat F cabin. If you're in Y and you don't line up right when they call (i.e. wait for them to call EXP and the like), good luck finding any baggage storage for your luggage within 10 rows of your seat.

If you're in J/F, best to wait in the lounge for as long as possible.
On a 777-300 where overhead bin space doesn't matter (plenty) why not just relax and board last
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:30 pm

Looks like the 777-300 off the schedule LAX-MIA. However, it is still operating MIA-LAX. I have a booking late October this impacts where I lost it one way.

Even before the 777-300 was in service, it seems AA has always had at least one premium aircraft flying this route. I've taken both the 777-200 and 767 at various times. Hopefully this changes. Otherwise I suppose Jet Blue into FLL is a better option heading east.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mrfussion
Looks like the 777-300 off the schedule LAX-MIA. However, it is still operating MIA-LAX. I have a booking late October this impacts where I lost it one way.

Even before the 777-300 was in service, it seems AA has always had at least one premium aircraft flying this route. I've taken both the 777-200 and 767 at various times. Hopefully this changes. Otherwise I suppose Jet Blue into FLL is a better option heading east.
Looks like it is gone westbound too. I checked Nov 2 as a random date and saw 275 is a 32B. May change. I saw this last year with MIA-LHR flights. Kept switching between 772 and 77W for a while a few months out.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:03 pm

I'm booked on Flt # 275 and it's still showing as 77W November 5th onward. But you are right there is a gap in the schedule with no 77W the first few days of November westbound.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Ouch, that's disappointing. These are the non-premium Airbus 321s right? Not the LAX-NYC 3-class ones
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ralphs
Ouch, that's disappointing. These are the non-premium Airbus 321s right? Not the LAX-NYC 3-class ones
Correct, just standard legacy-AA 2-class A321s.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Correct.

Oops - answered while I was answering.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yep, it's the A321 slAAveship. These planes are terrible.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Seems like the oldest 77Ws may well be hitting their first 5 year D checks, which could explain the swapping about.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
77W is still in the schedule.

However, I've simply switched all my flying to Mint. I absolutely hate Fll, it's a garbage dump, but AA has the worst domestic airline product these days. Maybe they'll fix it one day.

I do think when 777 work is done we'll see the 2-class 777s return to the route. Or maybe the new lie flat 757s, which will primarily be based out of Miami, will see transcontinental duty from Miami.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by MAH4546
but AA has the worst domestic airline product these days.
Are you talking about the 77W or the sub? I thought it was established a few posts ago that the 77W is still mostly flying this route outside of maintenance.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Are you talking about the 77W or the sub? I thought it was established a few posts ago that the 77W is still mostly flying this route outside of maintenance.
I'm talking about AA in general, it's an industry worst premium product.

The plane is absolutely not flown on the route for maintenance purposes. It is routed XXX-MIA-LAX-HKG/SYD.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:29 pm

I said it "is still mostly flying this route outside of maintenance"
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Seems like the oldest 77Ws may well be hitting their first 5 year D checks, which could explain the swapping about.
For many years, aa.com contained this language about heavy airframe maintenance:

"C" Checks
The "C" check is the most thorough type of maintenance work performed by American. The airframe - virtually the entire aircraft - goes through an exhaustive series of checks, inspections and overhaul work. It is performed at either of American’s heavy maintenance and engineering centers in Tulsa, Oklahoma or the Alliance Maintenance Facility in Fort Worth, Texas. There are different levels of "C" checks depending on the type of aircraft.

These include:

Narrowbody "C" Checks
American does two types of "C" checks on its narrowbody planes. The first is a "Light C" check, which occurs approximately every 15 - 18 months. It requires approximately 2,100 man-hours and three days to accomplish. Every fourth "Light C" check becomes a "Heavy C" check. This check requires 20,000 - 30,000 man-hours and takes from three to five weeks to accomplish.

Widebody "C" Checks
Because of the complexity of widebody aircraft, all "C" checks are "Heavy C" checks. The complete airframe inspection and service is done every 24 - 30 months. It takes approximately 10,000 man-hours and from two to four weeks to accomplish a widebody "C" check.
Narrowbody planes got a Heavy C check (essentially what other airlines call a D check) every five years or so, while widebodies got a Heavy C check about every 2 to 2.5 years. Unless AA's maintenance protocols have changed, the oldest 77Ws should be coming up on their second Heavy C checks.

One thing we know has changed - heavy maintenance of widebody planes now occurs at HKG, not Alliance in Fort Worth.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by FWAAA
For many years, aa.com contained this language about heavy airframe maintenance:

Narrowbody planes got a Heavy C check (essentially what other airlines call a D check) every five years or so, while widebodies got a Heavy C check about every 2 to 2.5 years. Unless AA's maintenance protocols have changed, the oldest 77Ws should be coming up on their second Heavy C checks.

One thing we know has changed - heavy maintenance of widebody planes now occurs at HKG, not Alliance in Fort Worth.
Well, there you go.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
77W is still in the schedule.

However, I've simply switched all my flying to Mint. I absolutely hate Fll, it's a garbage dump, but AA has the worst domestic airline product these days. Maybe they'll fix it one day.

I do think when 777 work is done we'll see the 2-class 777s return to the route. Or maybe the new lie flat 757s, which will primarily be based out of Miami, will see transcontinental duty from Miami.
So, the lie flat 757s are going to be targeted to LatAm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.