Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, but the time you're flying 100,000 on a single airline, spending $12.500 really isn't a big deal. I would be cautious about eliminating leisure travelers from that equation. There are a lot of leisure travelers which will/have the ability to, spend considerable amounts of money. More than even most business travelers.
It is entirely possible to fly 100,000 miles and not spend 12,500 dollars. Plenty of mileage runners have gotten to 1k status for less than $10,000 (myself included, think i spent only $7800 one year).

Take for example: LAX-SYD is ~14500 award miles on average round trip and on average $1500. After 6 trips to get to 1k status ur gonna spend on average $9,000. Remember taxes don't count so a $1500 ticket really only gets you $1200-1300ish premier qualifying dollars.

While $10,000 is a plausible spending for 100,000 miles, $12,500 was clearly meant to weed out mileage runners.

Business travelers no doubt spend the most money on airlines. While leisure travelers book the cheapest fare far in advance, business travelers commonly book last minute high-priced fares. This is a well known fact in the aviation industry. There is a reason DL & UA have moved their FF programs to emphasize revenue. Corporate travel is very lucrative.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, but the time you're flying 100,000 on a single airline, spending $12.500 really isn't a big deal.
If they're true "mileage runners", though, the group that Col Ronson refers to, they're not going to spend $12,500. They'd do 5 trips to HKG at $800 each, easily 20,000 miles RT from some U.S. cities via DFW, and be done for the year. That's about $4,000. If there's some better international sales, they might capitalize on those. Add on some credit card sign up miles to that and they have a couple hundred thousand miles to work with. That group, at United, has effectively been eliminated as it's not cost effective to be a mileage runner there any longer. Now, as to how many have made the move to AA, I'm sure some have, but it's impossible to come up with real numbers.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EP
Datapoint: called adv customer service and was given 6 extra SWUs for my 208K EQPs. Was told to call back after each 25K EQPs and they would happily credit +2 SWUs for each 25K EQPs.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
If they're true "mileage runners", though, the group that Col Ronson refers to, they're not going to spend $12,500. They'd do 5 trips to HKG at $800 each, easily 20,000 miles RT from some U.S. cities via DFW, and be done for the year. That's about $4,000. If there's some better international sales, they might capitalize on those. Add on some credit card sign up miles to that and they have a couple hundred thousand miles to work with. That group, at United, has effectively been eliminated as it's not cost effective to be a mileage runner there any longer. Now, as to how many have made the move to AA, I'm sure some have, but it's impossible to come up with real numbers.
Absolutely true. That said, I wouldn't wager that many people are affected by the $12,500 component to qualification. IMO, the 120/125eqm qualification would actually be more difficult to attain for many. I don't think there is a very high number of mileage-runners out there that are making EXP, I'm sure there's a few, however to lump mileage-runners and leisure travelers together seems like a bit of a leap. I know plenty of leisure travelers that have no problem paying $15-20k for intercontinental F. That said, there are also plenty who will only pay bottom of the barrel Y prices. From what I've seen, business travelers fall somewhere in between those demographics.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JonNYC
OK, in order to help clarify (and make sure no one is misled) for the first time, I'll post most of the details of the previous version of this program, which was know as "overachiever (or overachieving) Execeutive Platinums."

Under this previous version of the program, here's what one could expect.

All this based on elite-qualifying-P-O-I-N-T-S-- never EQMs.

° Upon passing and upon request 125k EQPs, certain members (based on internal ranking criteria) would be given 2 additional SWUs and that would be it.

° Upon passing and upon request every 25k EQPs, certain members (based on internal ranking criteria) would be given 2 additional SWUs for every 25K they went beyond-- without limitation. And/or the limit was 8 additional.

So in the latter group (a pretty small group, needless to say) a EP who flew 200 EQPs in a given year would be granted an additional 8 SWUs.

° As well there was a group (based on internal ranking criteria) that would be offered zero additional SWU, but seemingly *might* have been able to angle for the additional 2 based on need (and based on reports I had.)

In all cases, members would be directed to call back when they were out of SWUs and advised that "criteria can and does change"-- BUT, that if a note was placed in member's file, they could get what they were promised on the original call, even if there criteria had dropped.

NO IDEA WHAT, IF ANY, version of this currently exists, it was suspended during the more publicized promotions. BUT, I ASSUME and speculate that this would at least be a more realistic framework for what MAY exist now.

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Datapoint: called adv customer service and was given 6 extra SWUs for my 208K EQPs. Was told to call back after each 25K EQPs and they would happily credit +2 SWUs for each 25K EQPs.
Awesome to hear, congrats!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Excellent.

Just told my partner about this. He has 316K EQP.

Will report back.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Consistent with my experience.
I have 132K EQPs. Called today and was told there is no SWUs gift until I reach the 150K mark. For that I will receive 2 complementary SWUs. Doing the math, by crossing over 200K, you got 6 complementary SWUs.
Was somewhat disappointed that no recognition at the 125K EQP mark but it is what it is.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
Excellent.

Just told my partner about this. He has 316K EQP.

Will report back.
Please do!

Originally Posted by hxhbk
Consistent with my experience.
I have 132K EQPs. Called today and was told there is no SWUs gift until I reach the 150K mark. For that I will receive 2 complementary SWUs. Doing the math, by crossing over 200K, you got 6 complementary SWUs.
Was somewhat disappointed that no recognition at the 125K EQP mark but it is what it is.
Keep in mind, not all members get the same thing; some get just a single pair of extra SWU at 150k EQPs and nothing further.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I sent an email to customer service last week asking about additional SWUs for EQPs in excess of 100,000; I currently am at 142,270 and will pass 200,000 by year end. I received an email response offering me the same deal that I got last year: two SWUs at 150,000 and an additional 2 SWUs for every 25,000 above that. Last year I called; this year I wanted it in writing.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I sent in a question on over reaching the 100k eqp but no response yet. I will reach 100000 eqm AND 100000eqp butif it is only after 150000eqp that you get extra evips then I will just fly the rest of the year with star and start over jan 1. All my EQPs are regular not promotion based. Thanks for all the info on this thread. Itmakes it easier to decide in advance. I have been waiting for a response from AA for a week now
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kauppias
I sent in a question on over reaching the 100k eqp but no response yet. I will reach 100000 eqm AND 100000eqp butif it is only after 150000eqp that you get extra evips then I will just fly the rest of the year with star and start over jan 1. All my EQPs are regular not promotion based. Thanks for all the info on this thread. Itmakes it easier to decide in advance. I have been waiting for a response from AA for a week now
Under no circumstances would a member get any extra SWUs at a figure less than 125k EQPs.

And, needless to say, if you don't get a commitment with a EQP threshold (be it 125K or 150K) you should definitely assume no offer is extant for your account-- just in case any of that was unclear.

Further, for the lower-levels of qualification (accounts that are eligible for only 1 pair of extra SWUs (as opposed to accounts that qualify for 2 @ every 25K EQPs above)-- those are generally available at 150K-- not 125K-- EQPs.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Under no circumstances would a member get any extra SWUs at a figure less than 125k EQPs.

And, needless to say, if you don't get a commitment with a EQP threshold (be it 125K or 150K) you should definitely assume no offer is extant for your account-- just in case any of that was unclear.

Further, for the lower-levels of qualification (accounts that are eligible for only 1 pair of extra SWUs)-- those are generally available at 150K-- not 125K-- EQPs.
Yes, thank you. 125000EQP would be doable. But 150000 would not. So I will just credit my 100001 eqp and then wait till Jan 1. Luckily my star account resets mid year so it might work nicely. Of course if AA ever does reply we will see what they say
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
UA also requires you to spend $12,500+ a year in airfare (taxes not included) to maintain this status. Granted one INTL paid biz/first ticket would take care of that but that essentially eliminates leisure mileage runners from the 1k group.
My international paid business class tickets tend to cost $4-5k each, with maybe 1/3 of that being fuel surcharges and taxes. So, depending on what exactly counts towards the $12.5k, even three or four international business class trips might not do it.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by hxhbk
Keep mind that this year paid premium class earns a nice EQP bonus, and there have been some terrific business and first sales, so achieving 125k EQP is much easier this year.

Originally Posted by kauppias
All my EQPs are regular not promotion based.
I'm not sure if you are referring to the bonus EQP on paid premium travel in effect this year or to some other promotions. If the former, then I assume you were traveling on coach tickets (perhaps those earning 1 or 1.5 EQP/mile).

Last edited by anabolism; Aug 19, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:37 pm

Further, for the lower-levels of qualification (accounts that are eligible for only 1 pair of extra SWUs (as opposed to accounts that qualify for 2 @ every 25K EQPs above)-- those are generally available at 150K-- not 125K-- EQPs.
Appreciate JonNYC's numerous points on this issue. I have two of my own to add. First, AA could do with more transparency on who can get extra SWU's. It shouldn't have to be a mystery, with one guy calling in and getting different treatment from another. Or playing favorites.

If that's the way AA wants it, then they've lost me (and others) on this issue. UA is consistent: Go over 100K and you get 2 regionals every 25K and 2 SWU's every 50K. I've gotten that for years. Ad infinitum. No guesswork or favoritism that I can see.

As for DL, they simply roll over the extra miles from your achieved threshold towards next years medallion miles. I like that. This year, I'm going to have 175K on DL. I'm already Diamond---and 50K toward Diamond next year. Not bad, and at least predictable.

So every year I quit flying AA after getting my 100K eqp in the first 3 months. The rest go to DL. UA's service is in the toilet so I and the wife are probably going to just stay plat with them as 2k mm flyers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.