Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Plat; Marriott - Plat; Hertz - 5*

Question...

I am going to easily make EXP this year, probably by August or September. What happens after that? I know United after you make 1K any Elite Status Points/miles you achieve works towards bonus system wide upgrades. Does AA do the same?
Old May 27, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
They have in the past offered incentives at 125,000 points/miles, but generally the incentive to continue flying AA after you've achieved EXP status is all of the benefits of traveling as an EXP: bonus miles, unlimited domestic upgrades, SWUs.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Plat; Marriott - Plat; Hertz - 5*
Originally Posted by Blumie
They have in the past offered incentives at 125,000 points/miles, but generally the incentive to continue flying AA after you've achieved EXP status is all of the benefits of traveling as an EXP: bonus miles, unlimited domestic upgrades, SWUs.
Thanks... you say in the past... so are they not offering that this year? or only way to tell is after make it?
Old May 27, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
In past years, they've announced the additional incentives mid-year. No such announcement has been made yet this year.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bjamin82
Thanks... you say in the past... so are they not offering that this year? or only way to tell is after make it?
In the past the threshold bonuses have been advertised in advance and made available to all. You got your choice of bonuses as you obtained each threshold. But for now - there are no promos.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We're all waiting. No offers yet this year, but we should be approaching the time of year they release these - usually incremental additions (can include SWUs, miles, awarding status to others, etc.) for achieving thresholds beyond status requirements.

As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old May 27, 2014, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cova
In the past the threshold bonuses have been advertised in advance and made available to all. You got your choice of bonuses as you obtained each threshold. But for now - there are no promos.
Thta's true but also in the past there were Unadvertised (and never publicized) but very specific, detailed and very real awards (extra SWUs) for hitting targets beyond 150K EQPs -and- meeting other criteria (4 or 5 Helix rating.)

Those were temporally suspended during the advertised and published ones and no way to know now if the rewards for "overachieving EXPs" (an actual term used internally) have been reinstated, in whole or in part.

That said, absolutely agree that no one should "try and hope there's something there"-- definitely not.

That said, if anyone has (or is very clearly on track) for over 150k EQPs this year-- and especially if they are high revenue as well-- they should consider calling and asking. As I said, the "overachieving executive platinums" thing could be used to see if the ACS AAgent on the phone is really up on things.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PRO
EXP and Beyond [what next?]

Could you expect an invitation to Concierge Key after 150,000 EQP?
I know the requirements for that level are different and intentionally secret. But that's a lot of money for one person to send to one airline.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by intub8r
I know the requirements for that level are different and intentionally secret. But that's a lot of money for one person to send to one airline.
At 10 cents/point, that'd be only $15,000.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
At 10 cents/point, that'd be only $15,000.
You'd probably have to spend a lot more to get 150,000 EQP than you would for 150,000 EQM.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by intub8r
Not even close. 150K EQPs isn't even all that uncommon and while there are most certanly CKs who have that or less, the number of people who have far more than 150k EQPs and -aren't- CK dwarfs that number by thousands-fold.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not even close. 150K EQPs isn't even all that uncommon and while there are most certanly CKs who have that or less, the number of people who have far more than 150k EQPs and -aren't- CK dwarfs that number by thousands-fold.
I've never thought concierge key was worth anything. They gave it to my wife some years ago as part of a promo to get a brief-time AAirpass. It did not impress.

That aside, I hit 150 eqp in April. Hit 1K on UA during this month and am already Plat DL. Incentive to go diamond DL isn't great, but I could do it. They have proven to be a reliable carrier, but with a crummy FT plan. Generally book their discount A fares, when I find them reasonably priced. Their trans-con product does not impress me, and the pricing for it certainly doesn't measure up to value.

So I don't have a ton of incentive to keep doing AA until they put some tangible goal out for it. It defaults, then, to me sticking with UA for their continuing SWU's and regionals. Not so bad anyway, given that AA abandoned us in the Bay Area, and UA still dominates with route options from SFO.

AA once had a neat hub in SJC, and I was on that inaugural flight to CDG from SJC. They sprayed the 767 with champagne, and the mayor was there.
Ah, the old days. We'll see if AA does ELTA4. Probably is my guess.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I cleared EXP a few weeks ago, asked the EXP desk, if there were any plans to offer extras at certain mile segments, he seemed to think that the annoucement will probably happen later during the summer, but was not sure..
I am hoping that they do, my wife who is Delta Gold, has had not a upgrade in 3 years,
at least with AA, my upgrade so far this year as been 100%, both local and international.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Question for those more informed than me: Would continuing flying AA not increase the likelihood of the flyer being selected for Concierge Key? Have we received any more information regarding the criteria used to determine CK eligibility?
Old May 28, 2014, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rikramer
Question for those more informed than me: Would continuing flying AA not increase the likelihood of the flyer being selected for Concierge Key? Have we received any more information regarding the criteria used to determine CK eligibility?
There's no sense in doing that and just hoping for the best. One flier could fly 400K EQMs in a given year and not even be considered for CK, another could fly 150 EQPs and be nominated. Other criteria come strongly into play.

Definitely not worth trying for on a wing and a prayer type thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.