Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckx2
Just received an additional two SWU when hitting 200k EQP - without calling! They have just been added to my account. Same with procedure with one of my colleagues.
Nice! Things most definitely running much more smoothly this year with this program than previous for those who qualify for it.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Nice! Things most definitely running much more smoothly this year with this program than previous for those who qualify for it.
OK, everybody. It sounds like AA may be taking a page from UA's book and simply treating it's ultra-elites equitably, and without need to call in for a "hidden" perk, by putting in EVP-type upgrades to mega-flyers who go well over the 100K threshold.

If this is true, it is overdue, and I commend it. I never comprehended the defense (of the carrier) that the unpublished upgrade thing was some mystical business thing that we should all stand in awe of. I challenge then to make it all transparent to flying Advantage customers.

Now, having said that, I would also challenge AA to do what DL does and roll over elite miles accumulated past the 100k threshold--into next year. Highly doubt they'll do it.

My wife will be over 250K medallion miles on DL by the end of this year (she flew a lot to JFK to see grandkids) and will, consequently, be diamond on DL all the way to 2018. All she has to do is plunk her AMEX card up to 25K for the 2016 year which, unfortunately for me, comes very easy to her.

Anyway, if this is all true, i applaud AA, hope it truly sticks and endures, and hope
AA publicizes this to more customers than those on the FT boards
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
A chart posted on milevalue.com shows that 4 eVIPs are the max that most people will receive when overachieving. I don't believe I have a very high Helix score, so once I hit 175k, I may just switch to another airline. Or are those without presumably high Helix scores getting another pair of SWUs after 200k EQP?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
A chart posted on milevalue.com shows that 4 eVIPs are the max that most people will receive when overachieving. I don't believe I have a very high Helix score, so once I hit 175k, I may just switch to another airline. Or are those without presumably high Helix scores getting another pair of SWUs after 200k EQP?
FWIW - I will know next month. I was specifically told to call back at 200k for 2 more, making it 6 in total. Othere have reported the same.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:44 am
Suspended

Arrow Get the info from the _source_ of the info

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
You can be sure they are just recycling my/travelingbetter's information- and not doing a very good job of it.

There is NO doubt that some EPs are getting well over 4 SWUs for their overachieving-- I have about 10 examples from the last month.

You can see that some overachieving EPs historically get a "maximum of 4" (those with middling Helix scores) right here on my travelingbetter thread:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showp...&postcount=124

Trust the actual source of all this information-- me. Not those who take my information and innacutatey repackage it.

Last edited by JonNYC; Sep 26, 2015 at 10:49 am
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:36 pm

I'm just over 100K eqms. I called and they confirmed that I will get additional SWUs at 150K. Just make the call.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AA ExP, Turkish Gold, Spire Amb, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
I was denied additional SWUs last night. The agent was not familiar with any additional SWU program for additional points. He also asked his colleagues apparently. I currently have 146k points (and 116k miles). I found out my Eagle Score is a lowly 2, so maybe that is the reason. In any event, I plan to try again another time.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Solon594
I was denied additional SWUs last night. The agent was not familiar with any additional SWU program for additional points. He also asked his colleagues apparently. I currently have 146k points (and 116k miles). I found out my Eagle Score is a lowly 2, so maybe that is the reason. In any event, I plan to try again another time.
Hang up/call again. It's scary how different the information you receive can be between AAgents.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:21 am

150k/175k/200k are the thresholds people are reporting success at.

Go up some posts (POST #185) and see JonNYC's link to some doc's that confirm the general process and other good information.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 110pgl
150k/175k/200k are the thresholds people are reporting success at.

Go up some posts (POST #185) and see JonNYC's link to some doc's that confirm the general process and other good information.
Thanks and exactly. ^

NOT all members get the same thing, and, best to call with 150k EQPs under one's belt, generally speaking.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Just to clarify, you spoke with an AAdvantage Customer Service agent, not an Executive Platinum agent? I believe ACS is not open at night, while the EXP desk is 24/7, so the fact that you said you called at night makes me wonder if possibly you spoke with the wrong department.

Also, I'm surprised that the agent told you your helix score. Did you just ask?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:27 pm

Thanks and exactly. ^

NOT all members get the same thing, and, best to call with 150k EQPs under one's belt, generally speaking.
Over at UA, when one goes to thresholds 125K, 150k, 175K, 200k, and on, nobody needs to call. No favorites are played. No need to cajole an agent or use hang up and call back strategy. They have a computer programmed to spit the upgrades (regionals, SWU's) out to any and everyone who meets the threshold. Been doing it for a while.

But, then, you do have to fly United, something I gave up on this year, after many years of hitting well over1K each year (and now 2.5 million miles) and getting progressively deteriorating service.

Over at DL, they'll roll over extra elite qualifying miles as far in advance as one may wants. No need to call for anything.

Not sure if either of these carriers does "helix".
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FullFare
Over at UA, when one goes to thresholds 125K, 150k, 175K, 200k, and on, nobody needs to call. No favorites are played. No need to cajole an agent or use hang up and call back strategy. They have a computer programmed to spit the upgrades (regionals, SWU's) out to any and everyone who meets the threshold. Been doing it for a while.

But, then, you do have to fly United, something I gave up on this year, after many years of hitting well over1K each year (and now 2.5 million miles) and getting progressively deteriorating service.

Over at DL, they'll roll over extra elite qualifying miles as far in advance as one may wants. No need to call for anything.

Not sure if either of these carriers does "helix".
Yep, different approaches.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
There is NO doubt that some EPs are getting well over 4 SWUs for their overachieving-- I have about 10 examples from the last month.
My partner got 18 for all EQP over 150K.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by FullFare
It sounds like AA may be taking a page from UA's book and simply treating it's ultra-elites equitably, and without need to call in for a "hidden" perk, by putting in EVP-type upgrades to mega-flyers who go well over the 100K threshold.
I'm at 165K EQPs this year and have received nothing. Maybe worth noting that I haven't used any SWUs because I've been flying paid F all year; but I don't know that likelihood of being used is a factor in the algorithm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.