Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
Much more tolerable than what UA and DL have on the table if that's the ultimate direction we're going. Not a lot of leisure flyers will do 120K a year to retain status (me being the exception- over 130K booked through year end with more possible). Too bad we don't have an AA rep on this forum to confirm this is not a typo.
Worth (but just barely) noting that AA.com briefly and by accident showed 120K for EP qualification earlier in the year-- was a mistake -and- probably completely unrelated to this:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5865
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Much more tolerable than what UA and DL have on the table if that's the ultimate direction we're going. Not a lot of leisure flyers will do 120K a year to retain status (me being the exception- over 130K booked through year end with more possible). Too bad we don't have an AA rep on this forum to confirm this is not a typo.
Isn't UA only 100k?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:38 am
Suspended

Exclamation to be clear

At this juncture, this should be considered an agent mistake (like it was last time when it showed on AA.com) until/unless confirmed or solid inside intel emerges.

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 5, 2015 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cmd320
Isn't UA only 100k?
It is, but I'm referring to the UA and DL programs awarding miles based solely on dollars spent and AA not going in that direction. At the 100K level at UA you get 11 miles per dollar spent less taxes. A $300 transcon at AA brings in 10,000 miles while at UA about 2,860. That's what I don't want to see at AA.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:25 pm
Suspended

This agent was mistaken -and- no reason to believe that agent had a "sneak peak" and had slipped up type thing.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by nyczreklis

"Hello Nyczreklis,

You have identified your flyertalk screen name and your real name to AA. (by virtue of the quoted text from the AA letter and the precise number of miles in the letter- NOT the FT screen name!)

Just in case you'd want not to ....

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Aug 6, 2015 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 5, 2015 at 6:48 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
This agent was mistaken -and- no reason to believe that agent had a "sneak peak" and had slipped up type thing.
As JonNYC and many others have suspected, it was indeed an agent mistake.
Wrote back and got the following reply.

Thank you for contacting AAdvantage® Customer Service. Let's get your
questions answered.

I apologize for the misinformation in the last email. Members can earn
AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status by flying 120 elite-qualifying
segments. They can also continue to qualify for this membership by
earning 100,000 elite-qualifying miles or points.

The changes in the number of required segments took effect January 2015.
The elite-qualifying miles or points required remained the same.

Thank you for participating in the AAdvantage program. We appreciate
your business.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Good to have confirmation, though FWIW, I wouldn't expect an agent, even on the EXP desk, to have such knowledge of changes until they are right on the verge of rolling them out. Maybe I'm wrong, but it only seems logical that they would withhold that info from the front line until it's on the brink of being implemented, and they have to be trained to handle the calls and inquiries.

Loose lips sink ships and all...
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by zpaul
...they have to be trained to handle the calls and inquiries.

Loose lips sink ships and all...
Trained? Who does that these days?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Wrote back and got the following reply.

Thank you for contacting AAdvantage® Customer Service. Let's get your
questions answered.

I apologize for the misinformation in the last email. Members can earn
AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status by flying 120 elite-qualifying
segments. They can also continue to qualify for this membership by
earning 100,000 elite-qualifying miles or points.

The changes in the number of required segments took effect January 2015.
The elite-qualifying miles or points required remained the same.

Thank you for participating in the AAdvantage program. We appreciate
your business.
Glad to hear that AA is not going to change EXP qualification. Regarding flying on another carrier after earning EXP, it sucks. I tried it after doing a status match with United to get Gold (same as Plt on AA). The new requirements on United are such that even though I have flown 52K miles this year, I won't get Gold (not enough dollars spent). And the miles I flew earned only 27K miles in my account, whereas I would have earned 104K miles on AA. Also long as AA keeps AAdvantage the way it is, there is a great benefit to continuing to fly AA even after the 100K miles and EXP, which I will get again this year (now 8 years in a row, ever since I moved the DFW area). Next year I will just keep everything on AA well after my EXP qualification, that is unless AAdvantage goes down the tube like MilagePlus.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PolarRoute
Regarding flying on another carrier after earning EXP, it sucks. I tried it after doing a status match with United to get Gold (same as Plt on AA). The new requirements on United are such that even though I have flown 52K miles this year, I won't get Gold (not enough dollars spent). And the miles I flew earned only 27K miles in my account, whereas I would have earned 104K miles on AA. Also long as AA keeps AAdvantage the way it is, there is a great benefit to continuing to fly AA even after the 100K miles and EXP
For my flight patterns, there is an advantage to keeping status on a second carrier (also UA Gold) - there are certain flights that I never get upgraded on AA as EXP, and often can't even get MCE; yet I can easily book into UA E+ and more often than not get a CPU. I'd rather have a more comfortable flight than get more AA RDM.

I wish AA would give more incentives to continue flying AA beyond 100k, but it's also clear that they're not having any problems selling the seats I would otherwise have purchased.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
OK, in order to help clarify (and make sure no one is misled) for the first time, I'll post most of the details of the previous version of this program, which was know as "overachiever (or overachieving) Execeutive Platinums."

Under this previous version of the program, here's what one could expect.

All this based on elite-qualifying-P-O-I-N-T-S-- never EQMs.

° Upon passing and upon request 125k EQPs, certain members (based on internal ranking criteria) would be given 2 additional SWUs and that would be it.

° Upon passing and upon request every 25k EQPs, certain members (based on internal ranking criteria) would be given 2 additional SWUs for every 25K they went beyond-- without limitation. And/or the limit was 8 additional.

So in the latter group (a pretty small group, needless to say) a EP who flew 200 EQPs in a given year would be granted an additional 8 SWUs.

° As well there was a group (based on internal ranking criteria) that would be offered zero additional SWU, but seemingly *might* have been able to angle for the additional 2 based on need (and based on reports I had.)

In all cases, members would be directed to call back when they were out of SWUs and advised that "criteria can and does change"-- BUT, that if a note was placed in member's file, they could get what they were promised on the original call, even if there criteria had dropped.

NO IDEA WHAT, IF ANY, version of this currently exists, it was suspended during the more publicized promotions. BUT, I ASSUME and speculate that this would at least be a more realistic framework for what MAY exist now.
Those with extremely high EQPs (NOT EQMs) *and* top/near top level Helix scores (4 and 5 Eagle) should try calling in for their extra SWUs:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showt...3688#post43688
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmd320
Isn't UA only 100k?
UA also requires you to spend $12,500+ a year in airfare (taxes not included) to maintain this status. Granted one INTL paid biz/first ticket would take care of that but that essentially eliminates leisure mileage runners from the 1k group.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
UA also requires you to spend $12,500+ a year in airfare (taxes not included) to maintain this status. Granted one INTL paid biz/first ticket would take care of that but that essentially eliminates leisure mileage runners from the 1k group.
Yeah, but the time you're flying 100,000 on a single airline, spending $12.500 really isn't a big deal. I would be cautious about eliminating leisure travelers from that equation. There are a lot of leisure travelers which will/have the ability to, spend considerable amounts of money. More than even most business travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.