Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I find this thread very interesting. The years when I was one of the most frequent flyers in the country (500k BIS/yr, about 300 segments/year, all domestic) I was only Platinum, I didn't get *any* upgrade certificates, and I was still happy with AA.

I suspect that it is partly attitude. It is also that things were very different then and I had so many FF miles and hotel points that they seemed practically unlimited.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower
I find this thread very interesting. The years when I was one of the most frequent flyers in the country (500k BIS/yr, about 300 segments/year, all domestic) I was only Platinum, I didn't get *any* upgrade certificates, and I was still happy with AA.

I suspect that it is partly attitude. It is also that things were very different then and I had so many FF miles and hotel points that they seemed practically unlimited.
Good attitude for sure.

But in the mean time, the overachieving EXP program is alive and well and the highest-ranked members can receive an unlimited # of SWUs, 2 per every 25K EQPs over 125K EQPs.

Other members can get up to 4 extra SWUs. Some will not get any offered.

So, can't see any reason not to take Advantage of it if qualified, for the "price" of a phone call.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by JonNYC
So, can't see any reason not to take Advantage of it if qualified, for the "price" of a phone call.
Agreed. And sorry if I made it sound like I wouldn't call - I have lots of stories about things I *did* get, some of which made today's rewards sound minor. I am going to write a big post, one of these days, talking about some ways in which the programs (and flying) have changed just in the last 30 years.

(The best offer was "We want to fly you and your wife to DFW, first class for the weekend, golf with our executives and other top customers, eat some dinners, get some prizes, and then go home." I chickened out, because I had never golfed before. My wife made me take lessons and is still waiting for them to make the offer again.)
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:17 pm
Suspended

2 new reports today including one member who received an incredible # of SWUs (for an incredible amount or EQPs!)
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, DL - Gold, Aegean - Gold
I called with about 125k MQP and got told no luck. Should hit 150k MQP in mid December, will call again...
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Got 2 today where I am at 148k EQPs. I asked for them after discussing an unrelated customer service question. The agent didn't event take a breath, said let me check, 10 seconds of tapping on the other end and voila, I saw them before hanging up. Fly 90% paid J to Asia so I'm sure that helped ....
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Got 2 today where I am at 148k EQPs. I asked for them after discussing an unrelated customer service question. The agent didn't event take a breath, said let me check, 10 seconds of tapping on the other end and voila, I saw them before hanging up. Fly 90% paid J to Asia so I'm sure that helped ....
i must got a bad agent. i passed +200EQPs in Oct and when i called earlier this wk to ask about overachieving Xplat, was told "sorry to disappoint you but no such program offered this year"
think will try calling back next wk.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
I sure that did help indeed. You might ask for 2 more after all your flying is done for the year and see what happens as well.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
EXP for 2016 - already - should I keep going?

So did a basic search and couldn't find anything that popped on this one.

This upcoming week I'll hit 100K EQMs for 2015. Ludicrous amount of travel this year. Am sure a number of others are in the same boat.

The AA EXP desk told me I'd get the 8 SWUs credited within 2 weeks of hitting 100K EQMs, which is great, but I'll be reluctant to use them because then I'd have less for next year.

So the questions for you guys/gals is:

(a) what's the point in me continuing to fly on AA beyond 100K miles this year?
(b) what would you do?

Am wondering if I start to switch some of my business to DL so I can at least get a shot of DL Gold or even Platinum. My instinct says I'd end up making at the minimum Gold if I 'pause' on AA beyond 100K EQMs and having benefits on two airlines would obviously be useful

[Found this thread - EXP and Beyond [more than 100K EQP/EQM - what next?] - after I posted - make sense to merge?]

Last edited by kesco; May 31, 2015 at 6:20 am Reason: added bracketed comment
Old May 31, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kesco

This upcoming week I'll hit 100K EQMs for 2015. Ludicrous amount of travel this year. Am sure a number of others are in the same boat.

The AA EXP desk told me I'd get the 8 SWUs credited within 2 weeks of hitting 100K EQMs, which is great, but I'll be reluctant to use them because then I'd have less for next year.

(b) what would you do?

Am wondering if I start to switch some of my business to DL so I can at least get a shot of DL Gold or even Platinum. My instinct says I'd end up making at the minimum Gold if I 'pause' on AA beyond 100K EQMs and having benefits on two airlines would obviously be useful

[Found this thread - EXP and Beyond [more than 100K EQP/EQM - what next?] - after I posted - make sense to merge?]
I think it depends on how highly you value DL status, whether or not you will use and keep DL status next year, and how much you value AA mileage bonus. For me, I'd stay with AA and continue to earn 100% bonus for my miles. If you fly another 100K, earning 200k more miles this year, that's a free business class round trip for you and the spouse/partner/family member/friend.

There is a chance that AA will provide additional SWU upgrades for those having high spend again this year but it was an unpublished benefit last year so who knows if it will happen again. 2013 was nice because we had a published chart which outlined bonuses for flying over 100K.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

(b) what would you do?

The answer to your question is mostly dependent on your travel patterns and future travels. Keep in mind that if you decide to pursue DL GLD, you are giving up on the additional AA RDM if you where to fly with them, along with the added perks that EXP gives, upgrades, seating, boarding etc. You do not mention status with DL, you might be starting from scratch until you reach the first tier.
Does DL offers competitive pricing to where you normally fly, how is your travel pattern for 2016, will DL be in the picture to serve your needs?

The answer to these questions should determine your decision.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

(b) what would you do?
Kesco, you might find this particular link an interesting read based on your situation.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

(b) what would you do?

Good question... I buy mostly at A / P and could probably hit DM on DL with all of the transcon I have coming up in the 2nd half of the year... hmmmmmmm...
Old May 31, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Lets hope they bring back elite rewards I will be over 100k early on this summer and will credit my international flights over that to Alaska unless ELTA comes back but I doubt it will due to the eqp promos
Old May 31, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Current: UA 1K, AA EXP; BA Silver; Former: EK Gold (2004-11), LH SEN (2007-14)
A simple way to reward the over-achieving EXP's would be to prioritize upgrades (both complimentary and SWU's) based on the number of EQP's flown the previous year. Does not help if you only fly paid J/F, but then neither do the SWU's in this case!

I have always wondered why AA does not do this? Should be easy to implement right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.