Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
This is just my view of things. I think the EQP bonuses offered this year have overinflated the number of EQP's. Not all totals over 150 represent the same value to AA.

I will give you an example. My partner has a 4 or 5 Helix rating. He received the additional SWU's last year. For the current year, these are his running totals, 160+ EQP and 115+ EQM. That's 1.39 EQP's for every mile. Earned the hard way too because the majority of those EQP's are not from bonus offers, but from flying business class on Cathay (AA codeshare). (One of his tickets with connecting flights can cost over $10,000.)

Now, with or without the EQP bonus, look at your totals and compare. See the problem AA faces with doling out additional SWU's. This was not the case last year.
Definitely agree
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So striving to get more than 150EQP (if not needed or could fly on other carriers) may not be wise since very few will have a high Helix rating. Reason I ask is to achieve additional SWU.
If you have some discretionary flying and want to know which airline to fly on, and especially if the flying will be in paid F/J, by all means call or email AAdvantage Customer Service and tell them that you are trying to decide which airline to use for overachieving EXP activity and ask them if they can offer you additional SWUs for doing the flying on AA. If they cannot, then you can follow up with the Executive Office, or skip and decide based on what makes sense for you. (E.g., if you fly AA, you will do so as an EXP with the benefits, and will earn the additional redeemable miles, while if you fly another airline, you might earn a status level there, and/or might earn redeemable miles that might be easier to use (more award availability), etc.)
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:51 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
Earned the hard way too because the majority of those EQP's are not from bonus offers, but from flying business class on Cathay (AA codeshare).
My sincere, heart-felt sympathy to him.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
If you have some discretionary flying and want to know which airline to fly on, and especially if the flying will be in paid F/J, by all means call or email AAdvantage Customer Service and tell them that you are trying to decide which airline to use for overachieving EXP activity and ask them if they can offer you additional SWUs for doing the flying on AA. If they cannot, then you can follow up with the Executive Office, or skip and decide based on what makes sense for you. (E.g., if you fly AA, you will do so as an EXP with the benefits, and will earn the additional redeemable miles, while if you fly another airline, you might earn a status level there, and/or might earn redeemable miles that might be easier to use (more award availability), etc.)
+1 here. This is pretty much what I used last year and the beginning of this year. I have the ability to book travel on whatever carrier I want (Either F or J depending on budget), and if I dont get extra SWUs for continuing to buy/credit to AA, im happy to give Cathay/JAL/BA My money as well.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:58 pm

Flying over EXP threshold---points or miles---any incentive?

This has been a chronic rub for me over the past years. Now that the US airline industry has been reduced to an oligopoly of 3 legacy carriers (UA,AA,DL), I have had to compare them intensively, point for point. Granted there are other carriers such as AS,WN, but the big boys are the ones that go international and fight to the death to compete with each other.

My point is that both UA and DL have mechanisms whereby, if a flyer goes over the max elite threshold (100K, 125K), there can be continuing accrual of perks. For DL, miles role over the next year past the threshold that was achieved. For instance, this year I will be well over 125K on DL and make diamond and have the extras roll over. UA doesn't have that.

As for UA, I can at least earn extra SWU's when I go over 100K.

There is nothing like that on AA. Many of us keep posting about it, and have for years, but they don't budge. Too bad, because I get 100EQP usually by March, every year, and then go about flying UA and DL to get their elite max. I wonder if anyone knows if AA will budge on this. In addition, the EXP status has been eroded anyway over the past years. The EXP line is nowhere what it used to be. The EVIP's are worthless half the time, requiring waitlisting (which wasn't the case 10 yrs ago). FWIW, UA is worse, and DL never was even playing triple A ball on this anyway (for their SWU's).

So, best benefit for EXP is going ahead of others in IRROPS or unexpected upgrade situations.

Anyone know if there is hope to provide incentives to continue to fly AA once
the 100K eqp threshold is reached?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FullFare
...There is nothing like that on AA. Many of us keep posting about it, and have for years, but they don't budge.
They have offered what you're talking about for the past 4 or 5 years:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2014-a-6.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23074758-post29.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23072221-post22.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23074781-post30.html

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 27, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
i suspect after a hilarious amount of EQPs, if your'e getting 100k points ever 3 months, 400k points a year would be enough to get them to consider giving you CK status.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
CK status.
What is CK status?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: CX DM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
What is CK status?
CK = Concierge Key

OP seems to have missed some of the promotions over the years...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
And, small consolation, all the miles add to your MM status.

Also, from the airlines perspective: they don't have much incentive to give you more incentive: you're already one of their most frequent customers... they're clearly already providing a service of serious interest to you. They're not under particular pressure to sweeten the deal further for somebody who's already bought that much into their product.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AtlanticX
And, small consolation, all the miles add to your MM status.
With the current system, I think you'd have to change "tiny consolation" to "absolutely minuscule-> infinitesimal consolation"
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FullFare
This has been a chronic rub for me over the past years. Now that the US airline industry has been reduced to an oligopoly of 3 legacy carriers (UA,AA,DL), I have had to compare them intensively, point for point.

FWIW, UA is worse, and DL never was even playing triple A ball on this anyway (for their SWU's).
You might want to have a look at DL Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs) which replaced SWUs a ~year and a half ago. They are valid with any fare class execpt Basic Economy (E) and if upgrade inventory isn't available they go into empty seats at the gate. They can be used selectively on AF & KL-metal, too.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
IIRC those US top tier elites received their full benefits (including their version of SWUs) in January/February...and then received the full set of ExecPlat benefits in April/May when the programs were merged. So in fairness, I suggest that for those of us [original AA] ExecPlats who cross 100K, we get an extra set of eVIPs to use on US flights (expiring 2/16) in addition to the new 8 we get for requalifying. And another 2 for each additional 25K EQMs/EQPs.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
This question repeatedly comes up on all the programs, "I've reached top tier, now what?" I can see some focused on the "brass ring" and want to continue to strive for some perceived token. Personally, I strive for the status to make future stays more comfortable. The need to keep chasing something better is not a compulsion for me.

You do continue to get your upgrades when available. You continue to earn miles for non-award tickets. You continue to have access to the better AAgents (getting debatable these days though). Granted all of these are available regardless how much travel you do, but having an endless list of trinkets to chase, I feel detracts from the program.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PRO
Originally Posted by Shareholder
IIRC those US top tier elites received their full benefits (including their version of SWUs) in January/February...and then received the full set of ExecPlat benefits in April/May when the programs were merged. So in fairness, I suggest that for those of us [original AA] ExecPlats who cross 100K, we get an extra set of eVIPs to use on US flights (expiring 2/16) in addition to the new 8 we get for requalifying. And another 2 for each additional 25K EQMs/EQPs.
Although that did indeed happen, (I know since I took advantage of it), keep in mind that LUS offered TWO (2) Upgrade certificates per year. I can't call them Systemwide because they were only valid for TATL travel, no domestic, not even the domestic positioning flights to PHL or CLT. You could minimally stretch their value by having one companion fly on the exact same itinerary as yourself when redeeming. They were not transferable to a third party. Also, this year they were redeemable only from the time they were issued until the time the programs merged, a period of about six weeks.
So asking for an extra 8 AA SWU valid until 2/16 is a bit of a stretch. Doesn't hurt to ask, but ain't gonna happen :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.