Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pkfinman
I am just over 200k miles points for the year. At what point should one call and ask for additional VIP upgrades?

( assuming they will still do the same this year?)
If those "200k miles points" are 200K elite qualifying points, as I assume they are, just call in, your extra SWUs ready for you (seeing as your profile says you are CK.)
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:12 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Reports of successful (and much simpler and less confusing) contacts with ACS on this subject are flooding in at this point. By all means call in and try if you're above 150 EQPs.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Word getting out more widely:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rican-exp-swu/
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Do SWUs stop a domestic leg of an international itinerary stop the auto upgrade process? I have a PHX-LAX flight on my MR from PHX-CGK and I have an SWU in for PHX-NRT but the PHX-LAX flight is fully open in F (F7,A7) but no auto upgrade and we are <48 hours. Ex Plat line couldn't tell me anything other than my outbound looks good and I'm sure I'll get the SWU to go through on my outbound but NRT-LAX isn't looking good for the upgrade on my return Sunday and I'd like to at least get LAX-PHX upgraded auto if possible and save my SWU so it doesn't go just for the one flight of 500 miles.

I already kinda got burned on my last MR where they Operationally Upgraded about 10 people NRT-LAX but charged me an SWU for the upgrade.

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You cannot have a SWU request and a sticker/comp request simultaneously on the same flight. So you can have them remove the swu request from PHX-LAX but keep it on LAX-NRT, and add a comp request to PHX-LAX
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
AA seems to add by calling them an additional 2 SWU's for every 25K elite points.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
AA seems to add by calling them an additional 2 SWU's for every 25K elite points.
Well, yes.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
You cannot have a SWU request and a sticker/comp request simultaneously on the same flight. So you can have them remove the swu request from PHX-LAX but keep it on LAX-NRT, and add a comp request to PHX-LAX
Ahh OK did not know that...thanks for the info

Edit: I called AA and they said my SWUs were only for the International flights and not for the other flights. They said they are still holding back inventory on flight 5628 from PHX-LAX even though it looks like first is wide open. It's less than 24 hours before the flight and to hold back the entire FC cabin seems a bit stingy. EF shows A7 too which is odd as I thought that was the upgrade bucket. I'm sure I'll get it but adding to it, I can't check in until I get to the airport for some reason (I was able to OLCI last time I ran this route)

Well thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Robertsonland; Nov 4, 2015 at 8:08 am
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Is there a threshold for overachieving based on segments? At 134 YTD
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Townshend
Is there a threshold for overachieving based on segments? At 134 YTD
Sorry, Elite-Qualifying Points only. That's a lot of segments, how many EQM and EQP do you have?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Just wanted to share my experience calling to get the extra SWUs.

I called AAdvantage CS today twice. Once for my account and another one for the SO.

When I called this morning, the rep had no idea what I was talking about. She put me on hold for a few minutes and then consulted with her colleague. Eventually she was able to find the document that mentions the extra 2 SWUs and deposited them to my account. I was able to see the extra SWUs immediately.

I called again on behalf of my SO this afternoon. This time the rep knew exactly what I was calling for before I even said anything. He said: "Thanks for being Executive Platinum, are you calling about your 2 extra EPs? I said: "Yes,how did you know?" He said everyone is calling about them lately. He deposited them on my SO's account and I was done with the call in less than 2 minutes.

Before I hung up, I mentioned that I have more flights coming up for this year and wanted to confirm how this works? He said that at 150K you get 2 extra SWUs, 175K another 2, and 200K another 2, and so on...

Good luck, everyone!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by qtpinoy54
...He said everyone is calling about them lately.
They can thank me later.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
They can thank me later.
Thanks again for the wealth of information that you've provided to all of us, JonNYC!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by anabolism
Sorry, Elite-Qualifying Points only. That's a lot of segments, how many EQM and EQP do you have?
I'll still call and ask if I don't see anything, worth a shot.

EQM: 80k
EQP: 60k

Nearly all flights are short haul. I should end up at around 160 segments or so by year end.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Don't wait to call

In previous years, some "overachieving" EXPs would wait until January to call for extra SWUs, since that gave them an extra year to use those SWUs. The ACS agent who gave me my most recent extra SWUs cautioned me that, with the new rules, it was likely that agents would not have the ability to award extra SWUs in January, or their ability might be severely restricted.

If you flew more than 150k EQPs this year, call this year, don't wait until next year. SWUs that expire in Feb 2017 are still better than no SWUs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.