Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 6:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Relief indeed!

Originally Posted by aafreq
Ahhhh quick response as well as relief is appreciated
Old May 3, 2013, 1:44 pm
bvb

Programs: aa
I used to be a AA road warrior, but have been a homebody for the past few years. However the kids are now old enough to be more interesting than terrifying on a flight, so we're hitting the road again, with AA flights from JFK to LHR later this month. I really, really appreciate all the info on the MCE section. I'm really sad to see the 777 go to 3-4-3, the 2-5-2 was one of the few nice things about AA international.

I'll keep up here, and file a report when we get back. Wish me luck!
Old May 9, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Would anyone know whether the dual seats in Rows 41-43 as bad as the seats in other rows?
For e.g. in BA 747's Y seats feels very congested, but the dual ones from Row 54 (?) are much better
Old May 9, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I was in MCE on LHR-DFW the other day, I took the opportunity to go and see how things looked in the back, trust me, you do not want to be there under any circumstances.

Row 31 is almost tolerable as it still has a lot of legroom due to the exit there, but the very narrow aisles make any other seats back there very unappealing as it is impossible to move around without disturbing people in the aisle seats.
+1 I've only flown on the 77W once, but I also took a hike from my comfy 6J seat back thru Y (that plane is long!!) and had the same impression of MCE vs. Y. I shudder to think I might get stuck in the wayback someday due to irrops.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Seems there are no seats behind 18 A-C, 18 J-L. Does this mean they just recline more or ??? Basically does 18A-C, J-L have an advantage over 18 D-H?
Old May 11, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by filelover
Seems there are no seats behind 18 A-C, 18 J-L. Does this mean they just recline more or ??? Basically does 18A-C, J-L have an advantage over 18 D-H?
Don't take the seat map too literally.

The A-C and J-L seats in MCE are set much further back than the middle seats due to the doors in front of row 16 either side.

That is why you get one less row, it doesn't mean there is any more room between the back of the side seats in row 18 and the bulkhead behind them.
Old May 21, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP / CK June 2018 (4MM - 15 years running) HH Lifetime Diamond
Just did DFW LHR on 77W in MCE

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that the MCE seats in the 3-3-3 configuration will be wider than the 17" wide economy seats . If the seat width is not an issue, 31C at the exit will have lots of space. If I was going in economy, I would be trying for row 16 based solely on looking at the map and that MCE has at least 4" greater legroom over economy

This is only a guess based on the map and not based on having flown on it
Did 17H, C class UPG failed on a busy Sunday Night flight. I was #24 EXP on the list.

Found the seat to be fine, it is entirely comfortable. No extra space between you and the seat mates, but plenty of extra room to the seat in front. Found I did not care if the person in 16 reclined, since due to the way the seat reclined, it slides forward, and so the 'intrusion' is not significant. Basically the recline takes place by moving your butt forward, while the headrest stays about in the same space.

Entertainment on the plane was over the top good. like 100's of options. I watched fully godfather, and godfather 2. notably, and with a degree of surprise, these movies at least were unedited. boobies and all might appear on your screen, which admittedly was a bit indicting to be watching with dozens of strangers. Internet not working. My particular plane had an announced 63 hours of flight time on it. I think that would be about 6-8 segments; assuming it did DFW LHR since arrival.

Business class looked fantastic. but it was from afar. trip back got C class, but it was on 772.

If you are travelling alone, I would recommend aisle seat in MCE, over exit rows, since lots of folks travel together. if they are with you on the other part of the row in the center, they will never crawl over you. They will crawl over their travel partner.

Good trip; great plane.

CEP
Old May 21, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by Antarius
MCE is 3-3-3 while regular is 3-4-3. Keep that in mind.
Yep, and that's why I am happy that all my AA 777 flying will remain on 772's for the foreseeable future. The possible upside of MCE on the 77W is not worth the possible downside of getting stuck in 3-4-3.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Don't take the seat map too literally.

The A-C and J-L seats in MCE are set much further back than the middle seats due to the doors in front of row 16 either side.

That is why you get one less row, it doesn't mean there is any more room between the back of the side seats in row 18 and the bulkhead behind them.
What about row 19? Any feedback on seats in that row? Thanks!
Old May 25, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
I am also booked 17 J-K on the 77W, chose 17 after reading this thread and also seeing a picture posted on another site which clearly indicated that aisle 16 exit seats had nonmoveable arm rests limiting wiggle "space" if traveling with partner. ;>{*

"If you are travelling alone, I would recommend aisle seat in MCE, over exit rows, since lots of folks travel together. if they are with you on the other part of the row in the center, they will never crawl over you. They will crawl over their travel partner."

Last edited by aafreq; May 25, 2013 at 6:04 am Reason: Added quote sign...
Old May 25, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Just booked 18J-K
nice that they're available also for oneworld elite!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:19 pm

Question Any follow-up on 33C/J?

Any recent information to confirm if seats 33C and 33J actually have the unlimited legroom suggested by some diagrams? As mentioned in notes 12 & 14 of this thread, the 33C/J legroom depends if the 32A/C and 32J/L pairs are actually pushed against the wall, or are offset from the wall. Any recent photos or reports? Thank you.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by paul_from_losangeles
Any recent information to confirm if seats 33C and 33J actually have the unlimited legroom suggested by some diagrams? As mentioned in notes 12 & 14 of this thread, the 33C/J legroom depends if the 32A/C and 32J/L pairs are actually pushed against the wall, or are offset from the wall. Any recent photos or reports? Thank you.
When I walked back there on a flight last month it definitely appeared as if those seats had a lot of leg room. I didn't hang around too much as people were beginning to stare but I'm pretty sure you're safe with those
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Is the consensus that you can or cannot put your carryon in front of you and use it as a legrest on either of the exit rows (16 or 31)? I've done this on the 772s in Row 31, and found it pretty comfy. I'm on DFW-GRU, and based on an informal sampling of friends who fly this route regularly, I fear my VIP won't clear...

TIA!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:49 pm

Yesterday, I flew 77W on 137 LHR-LAX. With Gold Status, I managed to snatch MCE aisle 19H, about a day before the flight. In response to note #99 on this thread, 19H was excellent--full recline, with no passenger behind, just a plastic barrier ahead of the regular "Y" row 20. In response to my own note #102, 33C/J do have unlimited legroom, although the leg space is very exposed to carts.

I made one full aisle-walk to explore the terrors of non-MCE "Y"--the aisle is absurdly narrow, and the 3-4-3 seating looked truly grim. I hurried back to my MCE row.

Just a note on the 77W IFE. The screen is excellent, and the selection is vast, but the system defaults to a view where your finger must roll across 150 movie displays to see the full choice. With some diligence, you can find tiny icons in the upper left screen, which change the selection mode to either a list view or a tiled view, with about 16 (maybe 24) small movie tiles on each view--much easier to use than the default.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.