Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Great detailed description.

But this sounds just like row 31 on the old 777s that people here LOVE. No?
People like 31 on the 777 because it was one of two rows (the other being 20) that actually had some redeeming qualities. Without MCE, your "does not suck" choices were limited!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:52 am

One more 77W row 16 detail to report:

I was sitting in 16L LHR-DFW, but I could easily see that the space between 16 DEH and the bulkhead was being used as a traffic lane by people trying to reach the lavatories on the opposite side of the plane. The people sitting in DEH could have blocked this by putting their feet up on the bulkhead, but they did not, as far as I could see. The space was wide enough for people to squeeze through, but they were definitely bumping the legs of the occupants of DEH and invading their space.

I have no idea if this is a common practice or if it only happened on the flight I was on last week.

Take care,
saunders111
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Originally Posted by saunders111
I just did LHR-DFW in 16L (exit row, MCE, "window") on the 77W (evip did not clear, booooo). This seat had one plus and many minuses:

Plus: Infinite legroom. The exit door does not intrude into your legs' space, as it does on the 757 seat 10A, for example.

Minuses:
1) No overhead bin available over row 16, and since this is an exit row, everything had to go overhead. So I had to use bins over others' seats, which was fine this time, but could cause aggravation and conflict.
2) No window. There is a small window built in to the exit door, but you have to lean wayyyyy forward to peak out of it, and then all you can see is a slice of the wing. There is no window well where your shoulders end up when sitting up or reclining.
3) Very narrow. Although people have reported in this thread that the MCE seats are wider than the E- seats, this particular seat seemed very narrow to me. Since there is no window, this seat at least feels narrower than the other MCE window seats. Also, the single magazine holder for 16J, K, L is built in to the wall next to 16L, further narrowing the space available. I am not terribly wide in the shoulders, and the person in 16K was also fairly slender, but nevertheless we constantly knocked shoulders during the flight.
4) Very close to lavatory. The people waiting didn't invade my space, but every time the door opened, we were staring right in to the lavatory and its light. Not a big deal on this day flight, but could be bad on a redeye. I did sense the people waiting were intruding into the space of the row 16 aisle seats.
5) Extremely cold due to proximity of exit door. I had a down coat draped over my legs and was wearing a wool sweater, so was comfortable, but the person in 16K claimed it was the coldest flight he had experienced.

I guess getting off the plane among the first coach passengers is another minor plus.

I will try a different seat next time I am stuck in MCE on a 77W. 16L was not a good choice, I am sorry to say.

Incidentally, we were chatting with the flight attendant by the door during approach to DFW, and she told us that the FAs have already dubbed the 77W the new Slaaveship, worse even than the 757 in coach. They hate it because it only crews one more FA than the 772, despite having many more passengers (according to her). The service in MCE on this flight was something worse than perfunctory and better than actively rude.

Take care,
saunders111
Thanks for the excellent report on 77W MCE seating.
I have chosen 16 J on the overnite to GRU...
Did you report that there is NO window in row 16?
Also the proximity of the lavs was bothersome, even from the window seat ?
thx
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Question Row 18?

I have not seen any reports on row 18.

I assume it has the same characteristics as row 17?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:33 pm
GAF

Programs: AA LT Plat, SPG Plat, CC gold, ICH Spire
MCE on 77W JFK-LHR Seats 16J K are they exit or bulkhead

On AA seat map 16 J&k show as exit while seatguru shows them as bulkhead. Does anyone know? Are they good seats for MCE?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The seat maps at aa.com make crystal clear that 16ABC and 16JKL are all exit row seats:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPlanes/boeing777.jsp

Seatguru wouldn't know an airplane from a hole in the ground. Lord only knows why people continue to click on that website.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:32 pm
GAF

Programs: AA LT Plat, SPG Plat, CC gold, ICH Spire
thanks for the info. I'm on flt 100 in May and I have those seats.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:46 pm

It's a bulkhead and it's an exit row...why does it have to be one or the other?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
It's a bulkhead and it's an exit row...why does it have to be one or the other?
Bulkhead usually implies a limit on leg room.

So the 3 seats either side are exit row with unlimited leg room, whereas the 3 in the middle are bulkhead with a physical barrier in front of them limiting leg room.

It doesn't help that SeatGuru and others show an actual bulkhead in places where none exists.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
For an upcoming DFW-LHR-DFW itinerary, I have reserved MCE seats 17B (DFW-LHR) and 17K (LHR-DFW), both middle seats. There are a lot of non-MCE seats remaining, including a lot of aisle seats, which I prefer for longer flights like this. I have an expertflyer.com seat alert set up to notify me if any MCE aisle seats open up, and I hope to be able to change seat assignments closer to the dates of travel as other passengers upgrades clear.

As I have never traveled in MCE on the 77W yet, is a middle MCE seat better/worse than a non-MCE aisle seat? I know about the extra legroom for the MCE seats vs. regular economy seats. I'm wondering if the MCE seats are that much better that it is worth sitting in a middle seat vs. having my preferred aisle seat in regular economy.

Any feedback or experiences?

Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
As I have never traveled in MCE on the 77W yet, is a middle MCE seat better/worse than a non-MCE aisle seat? I know about the extra legroom for the MCE seats vs. regular economy seats. I'm wondering if the MCE seats are that much better that it is worth sitting in a middle seat vs. having my preferred aisle seat in regular economy.
MCE is 3-3-3 while regular is 3-4-3. Keep that in mind.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAMCI
I'm wondering if the MCE seats are that much better that it is worth sitting in a middle seat vs. having my preferred aisle seat in regular economy.
I was in MCE on LHR-DFW the other day, I took the opportunity to go and see how things looked in the back, trust me, you do not want to be there under any circumstances.

Row 31 is almost tolerable as it still has a lot of legroom due to the exit there, but the very narrow aisles make any other seats back there very unappealing as it is impossible to move around without disturbing people in the aisle seats.

I'd take a middle seat in MCE over pretty much any seat in the back and the odds are you'll be able to move to an aisle in MCE once the upgrades start to clear.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:35 am

Ahem....pardon me for asking this question, some of you 'elder elites' may understand....on the new 77W MCE seating map it shows 4 Lavs all forward beyond the bulkhead separating J from MCE. Are these Lavs accessible to MCE cabin PAXs or do they have to go to the back of the bus to.......le ?
Old May 2, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: Total Wine Grand Reserve, AA Gold, Hilton Dirt
Originally Posted by aafreq
Ahem....pardon me for asking this question, some of you 'elder elites' may understand....on the new 77W MCE seating map it shows 4 Lavs all forward beyond the bulkhead separating J from MCE. Are these Lavs accessible to MCE cabin PAXs or do they have to go to the back of the bus to.......le ?
The curtain is angled in such a way that 1 lav on each aisle is accessible to MCE and 1 lav on each aisle is accessible to J.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by st_cmcintyre
The curtain is angled in such a way that 1 lav on each aisle is accessible to MCE and 1 lav on each aisle is accessible to J.
Ahhhh quick response as well as relief is appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.