FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:23 pm
aafreq

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Originally Posted by saunders111
I just did LHR-DFW in 16L (exit row, MCE, "window") on the 77W (evip did not clear, booooo). This seat had one plus and many minuses:

Plus: Infinite legroom. The exit door does not intrude into your legs' space, as it does on the 757 seat 10A, for example.

Minuses:
1) No overhead bin available over row 16, and since this is an exit row, everything had to go overhead. So I had to use bins over others' seats, which was fine this time, but could cause aggravation and conflict.
2) No window. There is a small window built in to the exit door, but you have to lean wayyyyy forward to peak out of it, and then all you can see is a slice of the wing. There is no window well where your shoulders end up when sitting up or reclining.
3) Very narrow. Although people have reported in this thread that the MCE seats are wider than the E- seats, this particular seat seemed very narrow to me. Since there is no window, this seat at least feels narrower than the other MCE window seats. Also, the single magazine holder for 16J, K, L is built in to the wall next to 16L, further narrowing the space available. I am not terribly wide in the shoulders, and the person in 16K was also fairly slender, but nevertheless we constantly knocked shoulders during the flight.
4) Very close to lavatory. The people waiting didn't invade my space, but every time the door opened, we were staring right in to the lavatory and its light. Not a big deal on this day flight, but could be bad on a redeye. I did sense the people waiting were intruding into the space of the row 16 aisle seats.
5) Extremely cold due to proximity of exit door. I had a down coat draped over my legs and was wearing a wool sweater, so was comfortable, but the person in 16K claimed it was the coldest flight he had experienced.

I guess getting off the plane among the first coach passengers is another minor plus.

I will try a different seat next time I am stuck in MCE on a 77W. 16L was not a good choice, I am sorry to say.

Incidentally, we were chatting with the flight attendant by the door during approach to DFW, and she told us that the FAs have already dubbed the 77W the new Slaaveship, worse even than the 757 in coach. They hate it because it only crews one more FA than the 772, despite having many more passengers (according to her). The service in MCE on this flight was something worse than perfunctory and better than actively rude.

Take care,
saunders111
Thanks for the excellent report on 77W MCE seating.
I have chosen 16 J on the overnite to GRU...
Did you report that there is NO window in row 16?
Also the proximity of the lavs was bothersome, even from the window seat ?
thx